Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 06:35 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times

Advertisements

Currently my DH is paying his Medicare quarterly because he hasn't taken his SS yet. He is planning on starting his SS in December so that he gets his first check in January. My question is this.......Since they will start taking Medicare out of his check immediately, and therefore the January payment will be for January, should I just ignore the bill that I get in December for next year's first quarter? Or is that taking a risk that the feds won't connect the dots and realize that he will be paying it with his first check?

I really don't want to give them $402 just to have them give it back to me who knows when, and especially if I have to fight them for it. We don't get pensions and my SS is low (DH's is about average) so would rather keep the money than play tug of war with the government over it. But I also don't want to take the chance that we get penalized for not paying it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 02:53 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
FWIW, similar thing happened to me when I started Medicare at 65, and SS at 66. Both in August of year.

Short version: They re-reimbursed me 2 months of MC payment, paid in July for Aug-Sep-Oct, in addition to that 1st months SS benefit, in the first SS deposit in Sept .

In early Aug I received a letter from SS that said "You are due a refund of medical insurance premiums you paid in advance", and detailing the dollar amounts and timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance