Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

I am scheduled for an outpatient stress test on Monday and want to know what I have to pay. I have an advantage Medicare plan but they just tell me I will pay 20% of what Medicare allows and they don't know what that is. ??? Called the OP dept of the hospital to get an answer, but its a voice mail, so I might not get any info there either. Anyone here had one of these tests where they inject you with dye and you run on a treadmill? Just thinking I should cancel it. Don't want to be stuck with a big bill that is unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Depending upon how your doctor bills it, there could be no charge to some charge. If s/he bills it as routine it will be one charge. Diagnostic is another. If you have Medicare Advantage why would you be paying 20% of Medicare's allowable fee? That's not right. Unless the provider of service isn't on your Advantage plan. Did you get this information from someone from your Advantage plan or from the provider?

It's pretty difficult to tell how much the test will be prior to taking it. There are different variations of the test and until they give it to you, the insurance payer won't know what it will be. What one person pays may not be what another person pays. It all depends upon the type of stress test and your location in the country.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I had a stress test and an electro-cardiogram some months ago with no copay whatsoever. Medicare and my supplement took care of all of it.

The good news was that they confirmed that I really DO have a heart after all. Not only that but it actually works. Take THAT, kids!

Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
OK so the copay was only $20.42. It involved a nurse putting in an IV, radioactive solution, pictures with a HUGE overhead camera (twice), a treadmill test with Bp, EKG monitor, more dye, more pictures, and a cardiologist present, in case I croaked on the treadmill.

Seems like the copay was so insignificant for what they did. I don't understand who determines these payments.
Of course, the test turned out to be abnormal and I am waiting to see the doc to find out why.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OK so the copay was only $20.42. It involved a nurse putting in an IV, radioactive solution, pictures with a HUGE overhead camera (twice), a treadmill test with Bp, EKG monitor, more dye, more pictures, and a cardiologist present, in case I croaked on the treadmill.

Seems like the copay was so insignificant for what they did. I don't understand who determines these payments.
Of course, the test turned out to be abnormal and I am waiting to see the doc to find out why.
Insurance companies (and Medicare) have priced preventative care in a way that it's affordable for people to go--free or very low cost. Your stress test, while involved, costs a heck of a lot less than a day in the ICU after you had a heart attack. They want to catch potential problems early so you don't end up in the ICU. Even having bypass before a heart attack is more affordable because of advanced treatments now, people rarely stay in the hospital after a bypass for more than a few days but if you have a major heart attack, you could end up in the hospital for weeks--or worse a stroke and end up in a nursing home permanently.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
A lot depends on someone sitting at a desk looking at the diagnostic code that the doctor's insurance clerk used.

If the insurance clerk goofs and uses the code for something that doesn't need a stress test, Medicare won't pay a dime.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
A lot depends on someone sitting at a desk looking at the diagnostic code that the doctor's insurance clerk used.

If the insurance clerk goofs and uses the code for something that doesn't need a stress test, Medicare won't pay a dime.
As someone who was an "insurance clerk" for over 20 years I can tell you that I have never seen this happen. There is a much greater chance that the doctor will put down the wrong code or someone in his or her staff will. The claims adjuster has no way of knowing what the correct code should be in that case.

Since the advent of computers, there is even less chance of the insurance clerks getting it wrong as long as the doctor's staff supplies them with the correct coding.

Here is a tip. Many doctors are lazy when it comes to giving the correct code. My pulmonologist is very diligent about this. She will go over the codes with me when ordering pulmonary function tests and other complicated exams. So I see what she is ordering.

There is no reason whatsoever that a patient cannot ask the doctor how a procedure will be coded. But too many people as patients don't want to take that responsibility.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
The Key is not the Procedure Code, but the Code for the Diagnosis. I doubt that most doctor are familiar with those codes. It's not that they are lazy, but that they have more to remember. That's why they hire clerks. (Minervah isn't the only one here with a background from working in medical practices)

Old 06-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The Key is not the Procedure Code, but the Code for the Diagnosis. I doubt that most doctor are familiar with those codes. It's not that they are lazy, but that they have more to remember. That's why they hire clerks. (Minervah isn't the only one here with a background from working in medical practices)
True, but only the doctors can say what the diagnosis code is because they are the ones doing the medical records. They can't just tell their clerks that they did so and so on a patient and have the clerk put down what the code might be.

When I said lazy I was referring to the fact that they don't bother to look the codes up. They don't have to remember them.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Example--Mammogram

You go in for your first mammogram and it is "preventative" and should be coded as such. Say they see something on that film and they want another one. That next one is no longer preventative but it is now diagnostic...but they are still both mammograms. Sorry but I don't want my doctors concerned with these little details about is that code 2041A ore 2041B. If something doesn't look right when I get my explanation of benefits, one simple phone call to the dr's office and they send in the right code. In my 30+ years of handling my own medical bills, I think I have had to call for a coding issue maybe 3 or 4 times. Not a big deal to me I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance