U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:00 PM

7,777 posts, read 7,793,780 times
Default has anybody ever been on the spenddown plan on medicaid ?

I got papers in the mail today stating that I got medicaid but it is a spend down plan but the problem is I cannot afford to pay what they are asking me to pay , I have never ever had medicaid in my life but now im disabled and unable to work and they counted my husbands pay as mine also . But i cant afford to pay anything at all . Had I known this when i applied and no , my case person did not tell me anything about this , i would have never applied has anyone else heard of this or has this ? I mean I could afford to pay if I go live in my car . Im not kidding had i known like i said I would have never bothered my doctor to fill out the paper work either . Feel kind of bad that I asked my dr to do it too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM

89 posts, read 130,844 times
My husband is on Medicaid and has a spend-down. You didn't mention how much your's was but my husband's isn't too bad. By the time we pay medication and transportation copays, he's met the spend-down each month. We are extremely low income though so that is why his isn't high. Does your husband have insurance through his job that you can get? And does your disability qualify you for Medicare? You can also check and see if there's any extra help your state provides beyond Medicaid.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlina26 View Post
My husband is on Medicaid and has a spend-down. You didn't mention how much your's was but my husband's isn't too bad. By the time we pay medication and transportation copays, he's met the spend-down each month. We are extremely low income though so that is why his isn't high. Does your husband have insurance through his job that you can get? And does your disability qualify you for Medicare? You can also check and see if there's any extra help your state provides beyond Medicaid.
my husbands insurance is almost 2 grand a month through his work so that is out . No there are no programs that we qualify for .. I have to be 65 to get medicare Im no where near that see our spend down you have to pay before you can get your card we dont have it to spend . I mean that is kind of azz backwards we have to pay the state to get medicaid I have never heard of this before . Of course I have never had to have welfare before either I have worked since I was 16 and now iM in my 50's would someone explain why I worked all those years and paid into it and now cant see to draw on it ? Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-21-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 AM

3,190 posts, read 5,840,151 times
I had to sell my house, have a yard sale and sell all of the contents, and have one of my two cars repossessed. I was left with nothing more than my clothes.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I had to sell my house, have a yard sale and sell all of the contents, and have one of my two cars repossessed. I was left with nothing more than my clothes.

Im sorry but what has this got to do with what I was asking about ?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:59 AM

Default why do i have to have a spenddown with medicaid when I do not work ?

My husband works and i am disabled according to medicaid but I cannot get my card until I can come up with 164.00 a month Im sorry but we have to eat and pay our monthly bills too . Yeah I could pay it but then we probably would not eat for a while . Jeeze is it not amazing that I have been working since I was 16 what did I pay into the system for if I cannot collect on it ? so now if you are disabled dont count on getting medicaid because you have to decide between getting medicaid and eating ... such a sad state of affairs this country is in .

Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 PM

13,849 posts, read 17,832,289 times
What state are you in? The guidelines for Medicaid vary by state. Do you own a home, have a car? You're supposed to be broke to be on Medicaid according to the govt. Spouse w/income doesn't help your situation. Perhaps your state has some type of a subsidized health insurance program that would be better than Medicaid in your situation.

If you have assets - such as a home, car, any cash, working spouse - then straight Medicaid is tough to get, I think. I have a disabled friend, single woman, who was put on both Medicare/Medicaid well before age 65, but she has no assets. Doesn't pay a dime and has absolute first rate medical care at the Medical College/Hospital here. I pay copays, coinsurance, Medicare Part B @ $100.mo, and have insurance company/provider hassles. She has none of that. In that respect, she's better off than I am, for sure.

I don't remember her ever having to sell off everything in order to qualify, but most of what she did have was used.

I agree, $164 is a tough number for far too many people these days.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:23 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,520,098 times
I am now 46, but first drew SSDI when I was 29. I have Medicare A & B. I think you have to draw disability for 6 months (?) before you qualify for Medicare. Even then it only pays 80% of most bills and unless you have some sort of supplement there will be a $10-$15 co-pay for some visits.

Luckily, my DH has Retired from the Army so I have Tricare-for-life and between the two I am covered.

I know that it seems unfair to count your spouse's income but since you are the household then it is supposed that it is joint income.

Your caseworker should be able to explain things better. I am sorry that you are in this situation.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:13 AM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Im sorry but what has this got to do with what I was asking about ?
Everything, this can be part of a Medicaid spend down plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My husband works and i am disabled according to medicaid but I cannot get my card until I can come up with 164.00 a month Im sorry but we have to eat and pay our monthly bills too . Yeah I could pay it but then we probably would not eat for a while . Jeeze is it not amazing that I have been working since I was 16 what did I pay into the system for if I cannot collect on it ? so now if you are disabled dont count on getting medicaid because you have to decide between getting medicaid and eating ... such a sad state of affairs this country is in .
Medicaid is a welfare program. In order to qualify you can't have any real assets or money which is what they are asking you to do with a spend down program. It has been this way since forever. Do you have disability insurance on your own or through your company? That would have eliminated the need to go through Medicaid and spend down.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Everything, this can be part of a Medicaid spend down plan.

Medicaid is a welfare program. In order to qualify you can't have any real assets or money which is what they are asking you to do with a spend down program. It has been this way since forever. Do you have disability insurance on your own or through your company? That would have eliminated the need to go through Medicaid and spend down.
I dont work I am unable to work according to my drs and my husbands insurance through his company is almost 2k a month and we cant afford that and the car we own is twenty yrs old . No his company does not offer disability insurance at all . we dont own anything but a 20 yr old car .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance