U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM

856 posts, read 729,331 times

Advertisements

I am turning 26 years old this spring and I'm on my parents health insurance. I'm a full-time graduate student and will be graduating a few months after turning 26 years old (Summer). At that point I plan to look for a full-time job that will provide me with health coverage. What are my options for the period of time in which I am 26 years old but still in school? I think I can get on a school-sponsored insurance plan, but is there any way to stay on my parents plan? If I find a job that provides health care after I graduate it will be just for a period of a few months that I will be 26 without my own insurance. Any advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,154,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I am turning 26 years old this spring and I'm on my parents health insurance. I'm a full-time graduate student and will be graduating a few months after turning 26 years old (Summer). At that point I plan to look for a full-time job that will provide me with health coverage. What are my options for the period of time in which I am 26 years old but still in school? I think I can get on a school-sponsored insurance plan, but is there any way to stay on my parents plan? If I find a job that provides health care after I graduate it will be just for a period of a few months that I will be 26 without my own insurance. Any advice?
We ran into this with two of my children. First, since you are currently on your parent's policy, will you be able to stay on it until the renewal period, which is usually July 1 or are you automatically dropped on your 26th birthday?

You could look into a short-term catastrophic policy. We did this for my daughter who turned 19 and did not start college for a month. We bought a one month policy that was somewhere around a $100/month. It had very high deductibles and minimal coverage, but would have covered a serious illness or accident.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM

747 posts, read 1,187,419 times
We also went through this with our son before the new law allowed children to stay on a parent's policy up to the age of 26. I would check the individual insurance policies, but I think most will drop you 30 days after you turn 26. In that case, I would do two things: 1. Get a quote through the school you are in. 2. Shop around for an individual policy with a deductible you can handle if you have an issue.

We did that with our son and he ended up getting a pretty good policy through BCBS for about $75 per month. He had that for about 18 months before he graduated and got a job. Now he has good coverage through his employer.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:08 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
I would look at individual plans with your current insurance carrier. You have up to 30 days after your 26th birthday to remain on your parents plan, after that you will be dropped. Individual plans are month to month plans and for someone your age are fairly reasonably priced. Shop around with other major carriers in your area as well.

villageidiot1--most insurance plans do NOT renew July 1st, most renew in the last quarter often with Jan 1st start dates. Insurance companies would LOVE for more companies to move renewal dates to other times of the year though .

Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,154,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would look at individual plans with your current insurance carrier. You have up to 30 days after your 26th birthday to remain on your parents plan, after that you will be dropped. Individual plans are month to month plans and for someone your age are fairly reasonably priced. Shop around with other major carriers in your area as well.

villageidiot1--most insurance plans do NOT renew July 1st, most renew in the last quarter often with Jan 1st start dates. Insurance companies would LOVE for more companies to move renewal dates to other times of the year though .
I checked my policy. My coverage period always begins July 1. I have UPMC Healthplan.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I checked my policy. My coverage period always begins July 1. I have UPMC Healthplan.
YOUR policy changes over July 1, much to the delight of UPMC I am sure. 99% of all of the rest of the policies in the country change over in the 4th quarter, generally with a start date of Jan 1st. I work in the industry, trust me, starting Sept 1 we are SWAMPED with open enrollment and almost EVERY company changes over 4th quarter. Some change Dec 1st but most change Jan 1st. I do not have a single company in our large, multi-state region with a July 1 renewal. I WISH more companies would do that. I have one company with a March 1 renewal date.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 PM

5,842 posts, read 3,879,227 times
These are great suggestions. Be sure to get insurance. Who know what might happen. My college age daughter had a roller blade accident and had several thousand dollars worth of medical bills from one stupid mistake/freak accident (depending on whose point of view).

She had complications connected with breaking her knee cap in half and needed lots of physical therapy so it probably ended up to be over $10,000 of care. Luckily, she was still on our health insurance at the time.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM

14,759 posts, read 18,084,357 times
When our daughter became too old for our policy, she got her own through a local HMO after a lot of research, and it's running about $250/month.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:09 PM

3,091 posts, read 1,215,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
These are great suggestions. Be sure to get insurance. Who know what might happen. My college age daughter had a roller blade accident and had several thousand dollars worth of medical bills from one stupid mistake/freak accident (depending on whose point of view).

She had complications connected with breaking her knee cap in half and needed lots of physical therapy so it probably ended up to be over $10,000 of care. Luckily, she was still on our health insurance at the time.
I just found this forum, so was browsing through old posts and saw this one. I had to comment since I second your emphasis on not being without health insurance even if you think you're too healthy to need it and don't want to spend the money on it.

My daughter is also a case in point. When she was dumped off our health insurance on her 22nd birthday, and still in college, we debated about just letting her take the policy offered by the school, or looking around to see what was available and not too expensive for individual policies with varied carriers. I even let a thought or two pass ( very briefly) that perhaps since she was healthy and had no known health issues, maybe she could go without for a while, and save us a few bucks. But I couldn't fathom the idea of her going with no health insurance, figuring one never knows what will happen. We settled on an individual BlueCross/Blue Shield of FL policy that had deductibles and co-pays and premiums we could afford, and good coverage (including medication).

Fast foward a couple years, still covered by that insurance, she developed a serious cardiac condition requiring lots of ER visits, hospital stays, cardiac procedures over a period of about three years, and finally open heart surgery and epicardial ablation that seemed to correct the condition, although she depends on a pacemaker now, but is doing well. Her health insurance did a superb job of covering her medical costs, and they provided great customer service when she needed help or had questions as well. And her insurance rates are still affordable.

I cringe at the thought of what might have happened had she not had health insurance- I recall seeing one hospital bill submitted to the insurance company for a cardiac catheter ablation followed by an overnight stay in CCU- $120,000, multiply that by???- someone would have been bankrupt with no hope of ever climbing out of that hole.....

Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM

202 posts, read 150,828 times
The thing is, health care is just too expensive and over priced for the average income earning person. Americans are too dependent on health insurance for this reason and many just choose health tourism and travel out to other countries to be treated for less. Relative to the USA other countries are much more affordable.

Sure, USA has leading health care for the most part but this is available to people who are insured and affluent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance