Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

In Oct. 2011 I was approved for disability and then offered Medicare. I read the info. they sent me but didn't understand everything so I called for help. Came out of that conversation more confused. My boyfriends job allows me to be on his group insurance so I just stuck with that for the last year. Now it's open enrollment and I want to make the best decision for me.

I have a chronic illness that requires a lot of office visits, frequent ER visits, on and off again treatments, blood tests every other month and quite a few Rx. I also go to the dentist every six months for cleaning/check up and get an eye exam every year, usually needing new glasses every other year.

The way I understand it, if I choose Part B, then I would have to also buy a supplemental plan? I see commercials for Advantage plans and read something about medigap? I don't understand these plans or if I need them. Then I have to buy a Rx plan, eye plan and dental all separate? Seems very confusing and expensive. Can someone simplify it for me and maybe suggest what I should do considering my situation? To make things more complicated, I have to get treatment from dr's in more than one state because where I live they don't have all the help I need. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Rapture: Were you approved for Part B as well as A ?
If so, you can choose a medigap plan, which helps pay for the costs that medicare does not cover. A medicare advantage plan is part c which covers everything, including docs, hospitals, prescriptions, and sometimes dental and eyes. If you don't want to do this, you can just do Part A and B and then select Part D along with it, which is JUST for prescriptions

This is so confusing I would recommend you go to www.medicare.gov and plug in your zip code, your meds, and then look at all the plans you have to choose from. This is the easiest way to try to navigate thru the mess of Medicare.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Yes, I was approved for both. So if I choose the medigap plan, I would pay one charge for medicare and then another charge per month for medigap? Or I guess the Advantage plan is another charge? I will do as suggested but how do people decide which company to use? I see commercials for BCBS Advantage, Humira etc....I need good coverage, I have a lot of medical expenses.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:36 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Its not easy.
I spent many hours on the Medicare.gov web site when I first went on Medicare.
I have chosen an Advantage plan, but its an HMO, meaning they have a network of docs, and you have to see those doctors only or risk extra expense.
Another way to approach this is to ask your most important docs what Medicare plans they take. Then choose one of those.
The govt certainly has not made this easy on us seniors.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
My husband spoke to a health insurance broker (no cost) who helped him with his decisions which was based on his needs. He has been very happy with his choices. He has since sent others to this broker who are also pleased. The broker is paid a fee by the insurance companies.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
If you are under 65 and are on Medicare, you may, in time, qualify for Medicaid. Have you talked to your SS office about this?

I had a friend who became disabled. Before age 65, she was on Medicare and Medicaid. Never paid a dime. Never had any form of supplemental insurance either, as far as I know.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
My husband spoke to a health insurance broker (no cost) who helped him with his decisions which was based on his needs. He has been very happy with his choices. He has since sent others to this broker who are also pleased. The broker is paid a fee by the insurance companies.

Thanks. Do you know if I can just contact any insurance company? Or can you tell me what company he used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you are under 65 and are on Medicare, you may, in time, qualify for Medicaid. Have you talked to your SS office about this?

I had a friend who became disabled. Before age 65, she was on Medicare and Medicaid. Never paid a dime. Never had any form of supplemental insurance either, as far as I know.
Yes, I'm under 65. I already checked, I am not qualified for Medicaid.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM

176 posts, read 583,759 times
Every state has a SHIP program to provide Medicare counseling. You are in South Carolina? If so see:
SHIP/I-CARE Contacts

You never HAVE to get a supplemental plan; instead you voluntarily get one to avoid the possibility of substantial extra charges--and since you have medical problems you have these.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:18 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
In Oct. 2011 I was approved for disability and then offered Medicare. I read the info. they sent me but didn't understand everything so I called for help. Came out of that conversation more confused. My boyfriends job allows me to be on his group insurance so I just stuck with that for the last year. Now it's open enrollment and I want to make the best decision for me.

I have a chronic illness that requires a lot of office visits, frequent ER visits, on and off again treatments, blood tests every other month and quite a few Rx. I also go to the dentist every six months for cleaning/check up and get an eye exam every year, usually needing new glasses every other year.

The way I understand it, if I choose Part B, then I would have to also buy a supplemental plan? I see commercials for Advantage plans and read something about medigap? I don't understand these plans or if I need them. Then I have to buy a Rx plan, eye plan and dental all separate? Seems very confusing and expensive. Can someone simplify it for me and maybe suggest what I should do considering my situation? To make things more complicated, I have to get treatment from dr's in more than one state because where I live they don't have all the help I need. Thanks!
You may stay on your bF's plan without late enrollment penalty as long as your BF is an active employee. Note that is way different than COBRA or retiree coverage! When the time comes to terminate the employer coverage (no longer working), you may apply for your Part B without penalty because you can prove that you had coverage already. Your employer coverage must also have creditable coverage for rx- coverage that is equivalent to or better than that offered thru a Part D plan to avoid that late enroll penalty. In San Antonio, there are many Federal base employee retirees who never bothered to pick up Part B since their retiree coverage is a Federal retiree plan. If those ppl choose to purchase part B, they would be forced to pay a 10% late enrollment penatly for every 12 month period where they did not have Part B when eligible- an example of inactive employee (retiree).

Last edited by wehotex; 10-21-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I have a firend who is i your exact position having qualifeed for disabilty then ne year later medicare. She alos had emplyer based coverage. She looked inot it and decided that she would saty on private covertage because of the difference in providers it offered with little more cost. It will really depend on what your private coverage/cost and your financial situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance