Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I am not looking for sympathy. I am lOoking for information on how to get out of paying the claim. What consequences will arise for not paying it as well.
Well, technically they can send you to jail for failure to pay. You are 100% wrong about this, they will send your claim to collections, you will be harassed by the collection agency, your credit rating will be in the toilet for 7-10 years, at least and most likely since you WORK for this company, you will lose your job.....

Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, technically they can send you to jail for failure to pay. You are 100% wrong about this, they will send your claim to collections, you will be harassed by the collection agency, your credit rating will be in the toilet for 7-10 years, at least and most likely since you WORK for this company, you will lose your job.....
And then, when you lose your job, you will have been fired for cause, and not be eligible to collect unemployment. You'll have no income, and since you're fired for cause and your arrest record is public information, you'll have a hard time finding work outside the fast-food sector. You will likely not be trusted as a cashier, because you've already proven that you have no ethics when it comes to financial responsibility. If you're lucky, they'll let you be a burger-flipper. Good luck paying rent with that kind of income. And if you can't, and have to move out and find a new one, good luck finding a decent place to live when the decent landlords do a typical credit check and find out you don't have no credit - but rather, you have bad credit and are a poor risk.

The fact that you don't KNOW all this tells me clearly that you really need to just suck it up and pay your bill. You wouldn't be able to handle the consequences of not paying them.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
I do not work for United Healthcare. I work for a different insurance company.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And then, when you lose your job, you will have been fired for cause, and not be eligible to collect unemployment. You'll have no income, and since you're fired for cause and your arrest record is public information, you'll have a hard time finding work outside the fast-food sector. You will likely not be trusted as a cashier, because you've already proven that you have no ethics when it comes to financial responsibility. If you're lucky, they'll let you be a burger-flipper. Good luck paying rent with that kind of income. And if you can't, and have to move out and find a new one, good luck finding a decent place to live when the decent landlords do a typical credit check and find out you don't have no credit - but rather, you have bad credit and are a poor risk.

The fact that you don't KNOW all this tells me clearly that you really need to just suck it up and pay your bill. You wouldn't be able to handle the consequences of not paying them.
Where in the world did you get the idea of me getting fired for not paying this debt? My debt has nothing to do with my place of employment.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Where in the world did you get the idea of me getting fired for not paying this debt? My debt has nothing to do with my place of employment.
When your wages are garnished to pay your debt, let us know what it was like.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Because you work for an insurance company and you are squelching on an INSURANCE CLAIM--it's that ethics thing in the insurance industry you know....

Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
I am not looking for sympathy. I am lOoking for information on how to get out of paying the claim. What consequences will arise for not paying it as well.
The US Health Insurance industry is a racket, run for maximum profit and completely callous to the fate of the liabilities - or, as they're known in most other first world countries, "patients".

That being said: If it's "only" $2-3,000, this is just not a hill worth dying on. Contact their office, explain the situation, see what sort of plan they'll agree to. They'd rather have you paying $50 a month than have to hand over the account to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar. And you don't want to have an unpaid debt against your credit rating, particularly not at 24. You also don't want to deal with collection agents for the next 5-10 years.

If you have a case at all, it's against your insurance. And if it had been a matter of 20-30,000, it would have been time to find some legal beagle to look deeper into whether your insurance might have misplaced a comma.

(Incidentally, get a bottom-tier credit card, pay it off each month and start building a credit rating that way. It is galling that it's necessary, but it's never a bad idea.)

Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 PM

164 posts, read 267,029 times
Quote:
Well, I agree with most of what you wrote, but not the jail part. Debtors prisons were eliminated About 100 Years Ago. They CANNOT send you to jail for not paying a debt (except child support). A private debt between 2 private entities; you can be sued for this, collections, garnishments (though rare for someone with Limited Assets). But there is no provision whatsoever for someone to go to jail for a private debt. If this was the case, half the people with bad credit would be in jail now. I Know you want to show the OP he is wrong, and I agree with most of what you wrote, but there is no jail for unpaid private debts. Beyond collection activities, garnishment, lawsuit, etc., there is not much they can do if he doesn't pay. It will be on his credit report For 7 Years, after which it can no longer be reported. If he can go through 7 Years with horrible credit, he (and sadly many others) can all but get away with this. I Know many who have, Un-Fortunately. I Know of some idiot who charged his Credit Card To About $10,000, stopped paying, dealt with bad credit For 7 Years, and now its completely off their report. Home free. They got a few letters, calls, but he just ignored them, changed his number, po box, etc. 10 Years Later, he actually got away and will never pay. Sad but true.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Buffet View Post
Well, I agree with most of what you wrote, but not the jail part. Debtors prisons were eliminated About 100 Years Ago. They CANNOT send you to jail for not paying a debt (except child support). A private debt between 2 private entities; you can be sued for this, collections, garnishments (though rare for someone with Limited Assets). But there is no provision whatsoever for someone to go to jail for a private debt. If this was the case, half the people with bad credit would be in jail now. I Know you want to show the OP he is wrong, and I agree with most of what you wrote, but there is no jail for unpaid private debts. Beyond collection activities, garnishment, lawsuit, etc., there is not much they can do if he doesn't pay. It will be on his credit report For 7 Years, after which it can no longer be reported. If he can go through 7 Years with horrible credit, he (and sadly many others) can all but get away with this. I Know many who have, Un-Fortunately. I Know of some idiot who charged his Credit Card To About $10,000, stopped paying, dealt with bad credit For 7 Years, and now its completely off their report. Home free. They got a few letters, calls, but he just ignored them, changed his number, po box, etc. 10 Years Later, he actually got away and will never pay. Sad but true.
Except that he is knowingly trying to defraud his insurance company....that actually is a felony offense that could result in a high fine and a long jail sentence.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Except that he is knowingly trying to defraud his insurance company....that actually is a felony offense that could result in a high fine and a long jail sentence.
Hah! Refuseing to pay a debt is nothing even close to defrauding an insurance company. What are they getting defrauded of? They are paying nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance