U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 AM

11,997 posts, read 8,011,939 times
Default Medicare abandonment trend: physicians & hospitals

Forbes article 2013

27% Pay Cut Or Not, More Docs To Leave Medicare In 2013

27% Pay Cut Or Not, More Docs To Leave Medicare In 2013 - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM

747 posts, read 628,567 times
In most places if the doctors abandoned Medicare they would not have a practice left

Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM

41,634 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Not at all. Its just a fact that more and more doctorsd do not accept medicare patients. mnay doctors now do not accept any new patients at all because there is a shortage of doctors .Gte to speicalist and it really eliminates mnay of them that are the best itheir field. they have plenty of private incurance patients whic pays higher for same treatment. Medicare trustees point ut the problem of low payments in compariso to private insurance i their last report;so it not just some artiicle related fact.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 AM

587 posts, read 411,712 times
If there's a shortage of doctors this year, what will it be like next year when the ACA comes into force and there are an additional 30 million patients?

Can't the smart politicians who organised the 30,000 or so additional doctors who are going to be needed for Obamacare come up with 20 or 30,000 more this year to bail out medicare?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 AM

13,858 posts, read 17,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
In most places if the doctors abandoned Medicare they would not have a practice left
This is exactly, correct. I suggest you all read the Time magazine article at the link I posted on another thread. FL hospitals are advertising for Medicare patients.

Quote:
Jonathan Blum
‘When hospitals say they are losing money on Medicare, my reaction is that Central Florida is overflowing with Medicare patients and all those hospitals are expanding and advertising for Medicare patients,’ says Blum, deputy administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. ‘Hospitals don’t lose money when they serve Medicare patients.’

Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us | TIME.com
Take the time to read this article. It's a long one - but eye-opening. Profit margins at hospitals are beyond belief - astronomical, stomach-turning profits - even with a large share of Medicare patients.

It may be some individual doctors don't like Medicare reimbursements, but like Gregg says, in most places if doctors abandoned Medicare, they would not have a practice left.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM

144 posts, read 185,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
If there's a shortage of doctors this year, what will it be like next year when the ACA comes into force and there are an additional 30 million patients?

Can't the smart politicians who organised the 30,000 or so additional doctors who are going to be needed for Obamacare come up with 20 or 30,000 more this year to bail out medicare?
Medicare is for the people 65 and over only. The ACA will definitely add more patients but it's better than leaving 30 million people uninsured and not cared for.

The question is: Will medicare pay more or less than insurance through the ACA. This question is still unanswered.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM

13,858 posts, read 17,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
The question is: Will medicare pay more or less than insurance through the ACA. This question is still unanswered.
Medicare will always pay less than any insurance company.

Depending on the insurers relationship with the hospital, the insurers will either pay
  • less than the hospitals gouging chargemaster rates - or
  • more than Medicare.
It all depends on who needs the other more.

Read the article.

Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us | TIME.com

Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 PM

7,877 posts, read 9,560,630 times
Our current GP does not accept Medicare. He still has several elderly clients however they are definite 1%ers.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,475,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Forbes article 2013

27% Pay Cut Or Not, More Docs To Leave Medicare In 2013

27% Pay Cut Or Not, More Docs To Leave Medicare In 2013 - Forbes
I've actually been calling around to various providers in states I am considering for retirement. So far, I've found that all physician practices I've called in various cities have at least some primary care docs that accept new Medicare patients. This may not be the case down the road, but it seems to be ok for now. The difference now is that some docs in these practices don't accept new Medicare patients, where in the past, most, if not all of them did accept new patients. Once ACA kicks in, I don't know how all of this will change. Larger cities may be better than smaller towns.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM

10,833 posts, read 7,706,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is exactly, correct. I suggest you all read the Time magazine article at the link I posted on another thread. FL hospitals are advertising for Medicare patients...
I actually did read the article. It's about 10 times as long as it had to be (that lawyer needs an editor). And extremely anecdotal (no studies were done).

As someone who lives in Florida - I can tell you this. There are no primary care doctors (whether they're board certified family care docs or internists) advertising for Medicare patients (or any other patients for that matter). Or nephrologists - or rhematologists - or neurologists or similar (the specialty areas where all 3rd party reimbursement - and especially Medicare reimbursement - is miserly). E.g., Medicare pays a lot less for your visit to an internist than you'll pay for a plumber to show up for a 30 minute service call.

For the elective gravy train specialties - new knees or hips and the like - yup - you'll see billboards all up and down I-95 (probably I-75 too). Some ads for things like non-elective gravy train specialties - like cardiac care.

My husband and I get most of our medical care at Mayo JAX these days. And - whatever you think about Mayo - it isn't stupid. In primary care - it won't accept new Medicare patients now (stated goal is to get Medicare primary care patients down from about 2/3 of patients to about 1/3 of patients before accepting new Medicare patients). IOW - it needs 2/3 non-Medicare to subsidize/break even on Medicare. In areas like neurology and rheumatology - there are long waiting lists regardless of insurance source (guess all reimbursement is lousy in those areas). You need a hip replacement - would you like it Tuesday or Wednesday 2 weeks from now? Simple gynecological surgery - how about next Friday?

So - it all depends what flavors of medical care you're talking about. IMO - you get what you pay for. There are a lot of specialty areas that are underpaid. Some that are probably overpaid. And it shows in terms of availability/access. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance