Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times

Advertisements

Ah, I see. And you've never been to a doctor in your entire life? Never? Never bought health insurance?

A remarkable person you are

Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
I came up with an analogy that some people may find silly - but I think it's appropriate. Do you ever get mad at a MSRP on something like a toilet? Even though no one in his right mind ever pays MSRP for a toilet (discounts of 25-40% are the norm on plumbing fixtures). Look at your original bill as the MSRP And you and your insurance company paid a heck of a lot less.

Interesting comment about the toilet. Yes I usually pay MSRP when i buy one from HD or Lowes. Sure, I could buy from a bathroom boutique and haggle down on the price. An important thing is I have options and both toilets are serviceable. Also important is I am not suffering and in pain when i plan my toilet purchase - assume I am buying it for a rental property.

Last edited by creeksitter; 03-07-2013 at 09:01 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Oh, I'm not so sure about the generalization. I do know one hospital thats not doing so well today. But it'll be bought out and thrive. No way will it fold.

Under pays? Hmmm, are you sure that you read the article? Perhaps its providers that are over charging? Could that be?

Based on personal experience I observed exactly the same (strange) hospital billing procedures discussed in that article. A couple of times in fact.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Ah, I see. And you've never been to a doctor in your entire life? Never? Never bought health insurance?

A remarkable person you are
I have never spent a dime on health insurance.

I go to holistic or naturopathic practitioners, or herbalists, and they do not accept insurance.

20yrsinBRanson

Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 PM

Never in your life? No shots when you were a kid? Never been in the military? Or college?

But why do you go to holistic or naturopathic practitioners, or herbalists? Isn't it because of health issues? Or for prevention?

They may not take health insurance but they don't do this for fun. They do take money. You are quibbling.

Look, I take a lot of vitamins and herbs myself. Daily. Some of them my doctor suggested. And some are expensive. But they work. And they are an essential ingredient of my personal healthcare. However, they won't cure everything.

A prediction. Eventually - sooner or later - you will seek medical care. Or die for the lack of it.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Never in your life? No shots when you were a kid? Never been in the military? Or college?

But why do you go to holistic or naturopathic practitioners, or herbalists? Isn't it because of health issues? Or for prevention?

They may not take health insurance but they don't do this for fun. They do take money. You are quibbling.

Look, I take a lot of vitamins and herbs myself. Daily. Some of them my doctor suggested. And some are expensive. But they work. And they are an essential ingredient of my personal healthcare. However, they won't cure everything.

A prediction. Eventually - sooner or later - you will seek medical care. Or die for the lack of it.
As well as I can recall (It's been an awful long time since I have been a kid), I got all my shots in school. At least that is what I remember. I have been to a doctor a few times as a child, but that was not my choice, it was my parents' choice, and I was too little to put up a fight.

As an adult, I have had a few bad experiences with doctors. This is why I chose early on to take another path with regard to my health. I do not have any medical conditions (that I know of), and I visit holistic practitioners chiefly for preventative measures although I did visit one a few years back for a painful shoulder and to try to lose some weight on a sensible eating plan.

As for visiting a doctor, I am not saying they are entirely without merit. To be sure, if you are badly bleeding or badly broken then do serve a purpose. If I contracted rabies, for instance, or tetanus, I would go for the appropriate treatment, I think. But I would venture to say that 99.9999999 percent of the people who went to a doctor today did not go for rabies nor tetanus, although certainly there were some who were bleeding or badly broken.

It would depend, actually, on what my symptoms were. I would not let a doctor touch me with a 10 foot pole if I suspected I had cancer. There are too many good treatments out there that do not involved chemo, radiation nor surgery and given the choice, I would much rather die from the former than the latter.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 AM

By the way, if you are over 50 and have never had a physical by a real doctor you are asking for trouble.

You really should have blood and urine test, prostate checked, heart, EKG, chest x-ray. These are simple things and should be done every year or so especially after age 50. Also a colonoscopy.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As well as I can recall (It's been an awful long time since I have been a kid), I got all my shots in school. At least that is what I remember. I have been to a doctor a few times as a child, but that was not my choice, it was my parents' choice, and I was too little to put up a fight.

As an adult, I have had a few bad experiences with doctors. This is why I chose early on to take another path with regard to my health. I do not have any medical conditions (that I know of), and I visit holistic practitioners chiefly for preventative measures although I did visit one a few years back for a painful shoulder and to try to lose some weight on a sensible eating plan.

As for visiting a doctor, I am not saying they are entirely without merit. To be sure, if you are badly bleeding or badly broken then do serve a purpose. If I contracted rabies, for instance, or tetanus, I would go for the appropriate treatment, I think. But I would venture to say that 99.9999999 percent of the people who went to a doctor today did not go for rabies nor tetanus, although certainly there were some who were bleeding or badly broken.

It would depend, actually, on what my symptoms were. I would not let a doctor touch me with a 10 foot pole if I suspected I had cancer. There are too many good treatments out there that do not involved chemo, radiation nor surgery and given the choice, I would much rather die from the former than the latter.

20yrsinBranson
I do have one question for you. If you did have an accident and sustained badly broken bones, let's say you were crossing the street and some drunken idiot hit you with his car. So you were knocked unconcious and an ambulance came and took you to a hospital. Do you have the means to pay for that?

I am not challenging you or anything, I am just wondering what you would do because at that point it would be out of your hands.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
By the way, if you are over 50 and have never had a physical by a real doctor you are asking for trouble.

You really should have blood and urine test, prostate checked, heart, EKG, chest x-ray. These are simple things and should be done every year or so especially after age 50. Also a colonoscopy.
What possible difference would it make if I had those things or not? Even if some doctor pronounced me sick and dying there is no way I would submit to medical procedures, so it is a complete waste of time. If I begin to feel bad then I will seek out the treatment that I feel is the best for me, and it's not going to be from the hands of conventional medicine.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I do have one question for you. If you did have an accident and sustained badly broken bones, let's say you were crossing the street and some drunken idiot hit you with his car. So you were knocked unconcious and an ambulance came and took you to a hospital. Do you have the means to pay for that?

I am not challenging you or anything, I am just wondering what you would do because at that point it would be out of your hands.
That is an excellent question.

If I were to be involved in the scenario you describe, I would hope that my dear husband (who has a medical power of attorney for me), would indeed follow my wishes and have MINIMAL life-saving only, intervention on the part of the medical doctors (as I mentioned, they are occasionally good for something). This would, most likely consist primarily of stopping the bleeding. After I regained consciousness I would then figure out what else I wanted to do. I am not one to throw my life into the hands of anyone. Once I get past the critical life-or death stage, it's going to be my decision from there on out.

And to answer your question, yes, I think I would have the ability to pay for the ambulance ride and whatever life saving measures would be done to get me stable.

20yrsinBRanson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance