Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 AM

10 posts, read 29,564 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I would like to know how I can get health insurance since I am unemployed and still getting billed from the hospital. Last year in my senior year of college, I was going through an emotional turmoil and was sent to the emergency room. For several weeks, I was using health insurance under my parents' name while attending therapy counsel sessions. After graduating school, I still attended but did not know I was immediately cut off from their health insurance. For a few months, I was unemployed and looking for jobs while still attending sessions to keep me grounded and was also being billed for the sessions.My father finally told me last month that I was no longer on their health insurance. I stopped going after he told me, but I was still getting billed for not going. It wasn't until two months ago that I was hired for an internship, which is good in a way, but not going to help my situation since it doesn't cover health insurance or would cover my bills.

My therapist suggests to go on medicaid, but I am wondering how I would be able to pay for it without a job or unemployment checks? I am a bit clueless to this situation, so I am asking here what would be the solution for me? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
You can call your local family services office and find out if you qualify for Medicaid; most college students will not. But just in case, check it out. Honestly I doubt you will be able to get coverage for old bills - you are probably going to have to pay those out of pocket over time. You might want to see if your school offers low cost health insurance for students, and/or free counseling services. There's no sense in continuing to receive a service that you cannot afford to pay for.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
By law your parent's insurance has to cover you to age 26 regardless of student or marital status. Have your parents put you back on their plan.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
By law your parent's insurance has to cover you to age 26 regardless of student or marital status. Have your parents put you back on their plan.
That's true, if under 26, which we don't know. The other thing is that parents still have to pay a higher premium for a child, and they are not required to do so, they can simply tell their employer or provider to drop the child. We don't know the whole story here.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 29,564 times
I am no longer considered a student since I graduated. I am under 26, but the health plan said I need to be in school in order for me to get insurance and since I am not, I was removed from the plan.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient Dreams View Post
I am no longer considered a student since I graduated. I am under 26, but the health plan said I need to be in school in order for me to get insurance and since I am not, I was removed from the plan.
That is no longer true. New laws are in effect. Have your parents put you back on their health plan.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No the new laws in most cases do not go into effect until 2014 unless your families employer adopted the mandates last years to be granfather under certain provisions. But it still maybe quite high for adding you as a dependent.It only allows you to be cvoered as depend and in my case where the mandates where adopted it substantially raised the dependent cverage premimum which it allows.Medicaid if you quify is perhaps the best bet and its really low cost even for drugs.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No the new laws in most cases do not go into effect until 2014 unless your families employer adopted the mandates last years to be granfather under certain provisions. But it still maybe quite high for adding you as a dependent.It only allows you to be cvoered as depend and in my case where the mandates where adopted it substantially raised the dependent cverage premimum which it allows.Medicaid if you quify is perhaps the best bet and its really low cost even for drugs.
These changes have been implemented. As of 2013 all policies have to cover kids up to age 26, for the past 2 years they have had to cover them unless they were grandfathered plans, but that provision went away this year.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM

164 posts, read 267,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
These changes have been implemented. As of 2013 all policies have to cover kids up to age 26, for the past 2 years they have had to cover them unless they were grandfathered plans, but that provision went away this year.
The parents CAN put the kid on until they turn 26 IF THEY WANT TO, but they don't HAVE to. They would still typically need to pay more if they kept the kid on their policy, as opposed to if they didn't, and they can elect not to do so if they want (though granted, most parents would keep them on). The kid can't force their parents to add them, if they're not willing to.
Me, on the other hand, if I had some lazy 25 Year Old kid sitting around my house, he'd probably be needing some medical insurance when I got through with him, if you catch my drift.
I was on my own Since 18, and some kids These Days are just plain lazy. That's what happens when people get too many entitlements. Anyone can get a job at Target, or Home Depot and get some medical insurance. 26 Year olds should be responsible for themselves, I think.
But, I digress.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
OK lets not be cruel here folks. This young person is indeed trying to find a solution to this problem, so lets try to help. Perhaps the continued therapy is genuinely needed and not a luxury. Also, perhaps the parents have decided NOT to offer the insurance anymore, because of the expense. So the OP is NOT a student. The OP has just a very little income (or maybe none). What is the answer? What state are we talking about? How do you find a state office to go to and explain your situation? Lets try to help this person, please. Medicaid may be the only solution but I hope we can find a couple others. I would first contact the hospital about the bill and ask for a financial plan to work out the payments. Or just forgiveness of the whole bill. The hospital should be able to tell the OP where to apply for financial assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance