Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM

164 posts, read 266,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Just found out more info on the conversion policy if I move from OK to WI. It's under Celtic Insurance, and basically what happens is the day I move to WI, my OK insurance that I;m paying COBRA on ends, but I have 31 days from the day I move to WI to fill out my part, and hope my cobra dept where I used to work fills out theirs, abd then I get a packet showing my policy and what it covers etc. Until I decide I am for sure moving, I will have zero clue about the premium, level of coverage, benefits, network etc, so basically I have to take a huge leap of faith and hope it all works out!! Not exactly a wise thing to do with something as important as health coverage!! The other option, if I need to come back from Oz, is to stay in OK and hope for the best. IDK what happens in OK when COBRA runs out. I read that OK is fighting Obamacare etc.
THIS messing around, stressing, having my life dictated by health insurance, is exactly why Australia has the better system. no contest. It isn't perfect, but folks don't have to live their life around health insurance. Aussies pay much more for stuff, but they also make more, and they make enough to offset the higher COL. There's nothing unpatriotic about saying that another country does something better than the U$. Aussies don't need options,they are taken care of. No jumping thru hoops. Last I checked Australia was doing just fine economically. BTW Australia has one of 12 lowest tax rates in the world!!!
Then go live in Australia! Nobody is forcing you to stay here! We have the best system In The World, and if you don't like it, please do us all a favor, and go somewhere where you DO like it. Golfgal is actually right. A market-based system works best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,891,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Buffet View Post
Then go live in Australia! Nobody is forcing you to stay here! We have the best system In The World, and if you don't like it, please do us all a favor, and go somewhere where you DO like it. Golfgal is actually right. A market-based system works best.
Best healthcare system in the world?? Based upon what Jimbo??

Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,450,399 times
Don't worry about OK or any state fighting ObamaCare. It's legal per the US Supreme Court and no state can simply opt-out. Each state will allow you to sign up/pay for insurance starting in the fall and with policy eff date 1/1/2014. If the state doesn't create the "exchange" (aka web site to shop/pick/pay for your policy), then the US government will administer the federal exchange on behalf of that state.

So you WILL be able to get insurance. What the states are fighting is to pay for additional poor people's insurance within Obamacare (it's called Medicaid). But if you're paying on your own, or outside of medicaid, you'll be able to get insurance.

FYI...between now and 1/1/14, try to get a short term policy that ends on 1/1/14. Try www ehealthinsurance . com. I bought individual insurance from them several years ago with no problems. You can shop/compare policies online. Make sure you pick a policy that has hospitilozation AND outpatient. there are some with only 1 and they seem like deals but you must realize that you need both in a policy.

Don't forget to sign up for ObamaCare as soon as it becomes available. If you miss the signup it might be another year to wait.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,030,189 times
Thanks for the help folks! By the way, I AM trying to stay in Australia, because trust me, it sure beats America-and NO the U$ system is NOT the best, not even close, and I can speak from personal experience. No system is flawless, to be sure, but I don't get why some "patriots" fly off the handle if anyone DARE to imply that the U$ system isn't the greatest, most perfect such system ever designed!! It's like a child that loves their mommy-everything mommy does is perfect, and anyone criticizing mommy is "bad" Sheesh folks, get a grip!!! The sooner folks realize the U$ system isn't perfect, the better off the whole country will be, not just the well-off "patriots"

Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Best healthcare system in the world?? Based upon what Jimbo??
based on the fact that when people in other countries want to get the best dr.'s, they come here

Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help folks! By the way, I AM trying to stay in Australia, because trust me, it sure beats America-and NO the U$ system is NOT the best, not even close, and I can speak from personal experience. No system is flawless, to be sure, but I don't get why some "patriots" fly off the handle if anyone DARE to imply that the U$ system isn't the greatest, most perfect such system ever designed!! It's like a child that loves their mommy-everything mommy does is perfect, and anyone criticizing mommy is "bad" Sheesh folks, get a grip!!! The sooner folks realize the U$ system isn't perfect, the better off the whole country will be, not just the well-off "patriots"
The US system IS the best, and although I realize it won't happen, the best scenario would have been repealing Obamacare

Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,891,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Buffet View Post
based on the fact that when people in other countries want to get the best dr.'s, they come here
Best doctors does not equate to the best healthcare, not by a long shot. There is more to healthcare than good doctors. One must look at accessibility, cost, and the most important factor, the overall results. In all these categories the US comes up short.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,742,834 times
Quote:
I was thinking of that-my problem is due my pre-existing condition of being alive, most companies decline me. But honestly in 2005 I had surgery to cure ulcerative colitis-im fine now and in good health. problem is because of those surgeries, and the fact I take medicine as a result, I was told im an automatic decline, even though I'm in great shape. Isn't America great????
If they decline then you can apply for subsided cova erage under ACA how. Be sure to save the letter decliing to v cover you because fro what I heard that is first step.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM

8,607 posts, read 9,110,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No one is stuck in a life sucking job here either. There are options. People chose not to explore them though. Let's talk taxes for that wonderful health system abroad though...
Between your state and federal taxes and what you pay in health insurance, deductibles, copays etc. Their outlays are lower. And thats a fact. Now, if you are young, stupid and healthy, the kids are doing fine, the spouse is fine and you pay your premium every frigging month and never use it, you might save a stinking dime.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,742,834 times
ou can check with the local health service has the pre-existig contion par of ACA is in effect for topse y turn down for insurance because of it. had a friend who got insurance thru that. Frommy understandig its based on income as its federally susidised which is what the 500 billio over ten eyars fro medicare was i the ACA.M firned was insured at 400 a month until he died recently. I have hear some talk that they ahlted the program because they under estimate it cost but check with local SS and other ehalth offical i the local area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance