U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 PM

8,833 posts, read 6,455,798 times
Default Changes in store for Medicare in 2014?

I am wondering if some posters have a good handle on the changes which Medicare will undergo in 2014 related to the ACA ("Obamacare") legislation. I am a Medicare enrollee, age 69, and I will get all the answers I need when I receive my renewal information for 2014, probably in October, but my curiostiy is already kicking in.

I do not see it as a simple matter, as there are lots of aspects to Medicare: drug coverage, supplemental insurance plans, Medicare Advantage Plans, and more. I am most interested in the Medicare Advantage Plans, since that is what I have.

I understand that Medicare payments to those plans will be reduced, perhaps necessitating an increase in the monthly premiums by those plans, or the institution of a monthly premium by the plans which currently do not have one.

Anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 AM

419 posts, read 256,743 times
ahhhh - to have a crystal ball - that would be nice. It is anyone's guess.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
ahhhh - to have a crystal ball - that would be nice. It is anyone's guess.
No, it's a lot more than "anyone's guess". People who are familiar with the details of the complex and voluminous legislation can pretty much understand what the Medicare Advantage Plans will be facing in 2014, and can, therefore, offer informed opinions about the likely responses.

In one sense, my question in the OP is posed out of laziness. I did not feel like trying to research this myself. And no, I am not asking anyone else to research it for me; rather, I am hoping that someone already familiar with the issue will post here to share his or her familiarity.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 PM

2,997 posts, read 905,318 times
I was reading somewhere a couple of weeks ago that the Advantage plans were scheduled for a 2% decrease in their budget allocation but at the last moment that was changed to a 4% increase. I don't know the details, just remember that there was an increase. So maybe the Advantage plans will continue to be a good deal next year for those in it.

Last edited by Weichert; 04-14-2013 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 AM

408 posts, read 399,086 times
Working in the healthcare industry, I have attended several meetings where we are updated on what will be happening with health care in 2014 and right now, we dont know a whole lot. They gave us very general information and said it could all change tomorrow. Everything will be in place in September as the annual enrollment period will start October 1st. We do not have any idea about rate increases for medicare advantage plans. What you read online or hear from others right now is just a "guess", unfortunately.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Working in the healthcare industry, I have attended several meetings where we are updated on what will be happening with health care in 2014 and right now, we dont know a whole lot. They gave us very general information and said it could all change tomorrow. Everything will be in place in September as the annual enrollment period will start October 1st. We do not have any idea about rate increases for medicare advantage plans. What you read online or hear from others right now is just a "guess", unfortunately.
Thanks for that information. Perhaps poster pnwretired (post #2 above) was right after all.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 AM

41,246 posts, read 43,989,368 times
I do know that by intent demopcrats have wanted to elimiante any extra payments to advantage plans over fee for service.But actaulul doig it maybe a be a poltical problem eve usig the slow death medotd. its like the reudction in standard medicare payments to providers which is sh cheduled to go into effect i this year which medicare trustees say would cause a crisis as it would eman medicare drops below the payment 0f 30% of what private insurance averages how.Alot of the savings proposed to score the ACA like most times will prob ably not happen like many bills pasted by so clledsavings then ignored.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM

100 posts, read 42,746 times
Did you miss the news reports about Obama's budget plan increases in Medicare premiums?

From the Associated Press on April 12, 2013:

Obama’s plan would increase monthly “income-related” premiums for outpatient and prescription drug coverage.

Currently, there are four income brackets for Medicare premiums. Individuals with income below $85,000 a year and couples with annual income below $170,000 pay the lowest premiums.

Obama’s plan creates create five new income brackets (to total nine), raises the premiums everyone would pay and freezes adjustments for inflation. Currently only one in 20 Medicare recipients pay the higher premiums. Under the Obama plan, one in four would be paying.

If Obama’s plan was in effect today, a retiree making up to $85,000 a year would pay about $168 a month compared to $146.90 currently.

Individuals in the new top tier would pay 90 percent of the cost of their outpatient coverage, compared to 80 percent currently.

The impact on monthly premiums for prescription drug coverage is hard to calculate, since different plans on the market charge varying premiums.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 AM

10,860 posts, read 7,317,034 times
One thing your post didn't include is this......
Starting in 2017, there would be nine income brackets on which the higher premiums would be charged. There are four now.

and this...........
Part of the reason for the additional federal revenue is that Obama's 2014 budget projects an additional year of money from the proposals
http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/04...-the-rich.html

Old 04-19-2013, 06:42 AM

408 posts, read 399,086 times
The key words are are PLANNED rates and PROPOSALS...nothing is in concrete yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance