U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has your doctor quit taking Medicare patients?
Yes 4 28.57%
No 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 AM

28,504 posts, read 48,400,233 times

Advertisements

Here in Cookeville Tennessee I know of two doctor offices that don't take people on Medicare.

News, Medicare issues rate cut for doctors.

WASHINGTON -- Doctors who treat the elderly and disabled will face a 10 percent cut in their reimbursement rates from Medicare next year under a federal rule issued Thursday.

Medicare issues rate cut for doctors -- Page 1 -- Times Union - Albany NY (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=635358&BCCode=BNHEALTH&newsdate= 11/1/2007 - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 04:22 AM

13,383 posts, read 41,330,173 times
My former next-door neighbors in Denver had a terrible time with this situation.
They had to go all over town searching for Medicare docs--and this was 2 years ago.
It just isn't right.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 AM

436 posts, read 644,730 times
This is what happens when the government continually cuts the rate schedules for physicians, while allowing no compensation in their malpractice or overhead expenses.

I wonder what would happen if the government dictated how much a lawyer could charge for services.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,036,163 times
And so when a doctor won't take a medicare patient they have to go to emergency rooms. now that cost more for medicare in the long run.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM

436 posts, read 644,730 times
The politicians don't look at that. All they care about is short term economics. Cut the pay to the physicians, and you save money. Never mind that the people will be adversely affected, and the budget also, ultimately.

Why not take the 500 million poised for Mexico drug combating, and give it to medicarte, for OUR people. Obviously, the money is there. I am tired of seeing OUR tax money go to other nations, especially ones who care nothing about this Country, other than what it can give to them.

Contact you representatives, and voice an opinion. The only way things will change is if the people continuously fight the stupidity of the politicians.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 PM

18,631 posts, read 20,364,815 times
I told people so many, many, many times.... health care cuts ARE NOT THE ANSWER... if they cut it... it means YOU are going to pay for it. If you want to socialize medicine... YOU are going to pay for it... the government is about shifting payment to its citizens while collecting your taxes to fund their parties in the Cayman Islands at their banks.. They keep saying, "oh we are making cuts on spending in health care, education, etc. etc." Have you ever asked, if they make those cuts then where is the money going?? It must be trillions of dollars saved by those cuts but is health care improving? Is your children's education improving?? No, so what is improving... are the roads improving?? Are we stronger militarily than back in the 1990's?? Nope... so just where is the money trail going?? Some corporations pocket with kickbacks to your local senator... Now you know why people are willing to risk everything to be in the government...

Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,715,072 times
Hillary has the same concerns - if she gets in, she'll work to get us a national health care program, we will all have free health care. Maybe then we can finally make ends meet and stay within our budgets, do you think?

I wouldn't mind if the government paid for my health care. That would leave me more to spend on other things.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,036,163 times
I wish you were right about Hilary southward bound. Last time her husband was in they tried to get us health care and failed. I wish we had a good health care program.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:10 PM

124 posts, read 277,828 times
Hi:
There is an article about this subject in the current AARP Newsletter (Sept 2008) and the situation is getting worse instead of better. Anyone thinking about relocating after retirement needs to do some SERIOUS investigation beforehand. You may or may not get healthcare.
MM

Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 PM

26,130 posts, read 9,497,110 times
I know this is an old thread but thought I'm make some mention.

My Integrative MD does NOT take much insurances, her fees are mostly cash, BUT she does take Medicare for us 65+.

Then there is a D.O. I've seen and my daughter and her kids go to her and she does not take their insurance but does accept Medicare for we 65+.

So these two medical people are the reverse and seems strange but it is this.

Some doctors have started these Concierge medicine practices and I would not go with any of them, I don't need doctors that often to have one available at a moment's notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or