Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:54 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times

Advertisements

I was laid off last month from work and previously had health insurance with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Florida. I experienced a DVT in my calf while covered under same health insurance. I have received a certification of creditable coverage from BC/BS. Wondering if my DVT would be covered if I sign up for coverage on my own with them under a new plan? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 AM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
My guess, if you try and sign up with BCBS, they are going to treat you as a new customer with an existing condition with a higher premium. Roll on Obamacare...

Hopefully, someone will give you a better answer.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
When you were laid off, were you offered COBRA coverage ?? If not, why not ?? If yes, why did you not take it ??
http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/cobra.htm

Old 05-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
When you were laid off, were you offered COBRA coverage ?? If not, why not ?? If yes, why did you not take it ??
http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/cobra.htm
I have paperwork from SOI indicates my monthly premium would be $453.63; not in my budget; under employer plan it was under $100/month. Looking at a possible job w/o benefits, but better income & considering three plans BC/BS of FL offers under $200/month:

Blue Options 700 $182/mo.
Blue Select 225 $ 161/mo.
Blue Options 706 $139/mo.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
The answer is it depends. In our state, most likely you would not have issues with that being covered, in other states you might. Call BC/BS and ask how they would deal with that moving from a group plan to an individual plan. They will probably tell you that they can't give you a definite answer and you have to apply to see--that means it's not an automatic reject and they will have to review your records. If they say that it won't be covered, then you know. If they do reject you or won't cover you, in many states that is enough to qualify for a state sponsored plan if your state has one.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The answer is it depends. In our state, most likely you would not have issues with that being covered, in other states you might. Call BC/BS and ask how they would deal with that moving from a group plan to an individual plan. They will probably tell you that they can't give you a definite answer and you have to apply to see--that means it's not an automatic reject and they will have to review your records. If they say that it won't be covered, then you know. If they do reject you or won't cover you, in many states that is enough to qualify for a state sponsored plan if your state has one.
Thank you for the great info; I'll look into it next week.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
Let me advise you that the health insurance companies look for ANY little thing to totally reject you from coverage. When I lost my job I applied to the company that had our company insurance. They basically had all my records from what they paid and knew that I never went to the doc for little things. They also knew I had arthritis as I went to a rheumatologist ONCE in 2 years, who told me that I didn't need to come to him as my regular internist would do, who I visited once each year. We also had certificates of coverage and discovered that they only apply when you are going with another group policy through and employer. It doesn't apply for individual coverage. We had to apply as a totally new customer and they denied me coverage because of my arthritis in my back. They also denied my husband as well because of sleep apnea...instant reject, even though he only went to a doc twice in each year. We suspect it was more because we were both around age 60 and they didn't want us. So we went on COBRA at $1300/ month, which ended in March. Hopefully you won't have that problem.

There are supplemental policies out there that covers certain things. We temporarily have some of those to get us through until the end of the year. Alliance discounts some things, like lab work, and has some other benefits. We also have one Heritage that pays money each day if we are hospitalized. NOT the same as health insurance, but if anything big happens we have a bit of coverage.

If you can't afford your COBRA I suspect you will not be able to afford any state high-risk policy either. Of course it depends on your state, but in SC our high risk policy would have cost more than COBRA with less benefits. Also, the federal high risk has stopped taking applications, and I think some states have also stopped taking applications as well. Sounds as though your best bet will be to wait for 1/1/14.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Let me advise you that the health insurance companies look for ANY little thing to totally reject you from coverage. When I lost my job I applied to the company that had our company insurance. They basically had all my records from what they paid and knew that I never went to the doc for little things. They also knew I had arthritis as I went to a rheumatologist ONCE in 2 years, who told me that I didn't need to come to him as my regular internist would do, who I visited once each year. We also had certificates of coverage and discovered that they only apply when you are going with another group policy through and employer. It doesn't apply for individual coverage. We had to apply as a totally new customer and they denied me coverage because of my arthritis in my back. They also denied my husband as well because of sleep apnea...instant reject, even though he only went to a doc twice in each year. We suspect it was more because we were both around age 60 and they didn't want us. So we went on COBRA at $1300/ month, which ended in March. Hopefully you won't have that problem.

There are supplemental policies out there that covers certain things. We temporarily have some of those to get us through until the end of the year. Alliance discounts some things, like lab work, and has some other benefits. We also have one Heritage that pays money each day if we are hospitalized. NOT the same as health insurance, but if anything big happens we have a bit of coverage.

If you can't afford your COBRA I suspect you will not be able to afford any state high-risk policy either. Of course it depends on your state, but in SC our high risk policy would have cost more than COBRA with less benefits. Also, the federal high risk has stopped taking applications, and I think some states have also stopped taking applications as well. Sounds as though your best bet will be to wait for 1/1/14.
This really depends on the laws in your state, not the insurance company. Your arthritis would have not have caused you to be rejected from a policy in our state and our state high risk plan is on a sliding scale so some people pay nothing, others will pay more but they will not pay $450 for one person, and it's a pretty good plan with great coverage. It was used as one of the models for the ACA.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I have paperwork from SOI indicates my monthly premium would be $453.63; not in my budget; under employer plan it was under $100/month. Looking at a possible job w/o benefits, but better income & considering three plans BC/BS of FL offers under $200/month:

Blue Options 700 $182/mo.
Blue Select 225 $ 161/mo.
Blue Options 706 $139/mo.
I can assure you the total premium under your old employer WAS NOT under a $100.00, that was just what you paid, they covered the balance which was more likely more than you contributed.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I can assure you the total premium under your old employer WAS NOT under a $100.00, that was just what you paid, they covered the balance which was more likely more than you contributed.
She didn't say that, SHE paid under $100....

Employers HAVE to pay at least 50% of the premium in order to qualify as a group plan....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance