Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:33 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

I used to work for a medical supply company. Its amazing how many people don't know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. They think they are the same because they both sound alike, or they simply don't have a clue to what they really have.

They say things like I don't have insurance, I just have Medicaid. Well I have Medicare, oh, I have Medicaid, I don't have insurance....

I ask them to read off their numbers from their card, I can tell by how the numbers sequence if its Medicare or Medicaid. They will say things like I have Medicare, here, its on this card, says Health Plan of Alabama that's Medicaid!

Sadly, there's many functional illiterates out there who simply can't read a simple card or form, let alone navigate the complex maze health insurance has become. Such people don't receive the health care they need and are entitled to, because they don't know how to utilize it....very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I used to work for a medical supply company. Its amazing how many people don't know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. They think they are the same because they both sound alike, or they simply don't have a clue to what they really have.

They say things like I don't have insurance, I just have Medicaid. Well I have Medicare, oh, I have Medicaid, I don't have insurance....

I ask them to read off their numbers from their card, I can tell by how the numbers sequence if its Medicare or Medicaid. They will say things like I have Medicare, here, its on this card, says Health Plan of Alabama that's Medicaid!

Sadly, there's many functional illiterates out there who simply can't read a simple card or form, let alone navigate the complex maze health insurance has become. Such people don't receive the health care they need and are entitled to, because they don't know how to utilize it....very sad.
In all fairness, the similar names create most of the confusion. Heck, even people in the know, me included, type the wrong name at times. I don't know that most people think they don't have health insurance under these programs per se, more that they don't know what the plans cover and are afraid to have more medical bills that they can't afford or don't want to pay.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
well, my Dad ending up in a nursing home after a very severe stroke and lived 8 years. I believe the rule was he could stay in the facility for like 60 days without any charge and then after that, he was charged. I guess at some point he went from Medicare to Medicaid, or both, not sure but he had to spend down his assets and we had to sell his home to pay for his care. This was in New York state. If there would have been a spouse living in the home, then they can't make you sell your home but if there isn't, then they do. And I think the look-back period is like 5 years now.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
well, my Dad ending up in a nursing home after a very severe stroke and lived 8 years. I believe the rule was he could stay in the facility for like 60 days without any charge and then after that, he was charged. I guess at some point he went from Medicare to Medicaid, or both, not sure but he had to spend down his assets and we had to sell his home to pay for his care. This was in New York state. If there would have been a spouse living in the home, then they can't make you sell your home but if there isn't, then they do. And I think the look-back period is like 5 years now.
Medicare pays partially or wholly up to 100 days and then after that, you do have to pay. Medicaid comes in when a person is "impoverished" and then pays for their stay but Medicare still pays for their medical bills. Medicaid is basically room and board at the nursing home.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times
There is a lot of really bad information on this web site. Be advised that all insurance companies have some restrictions on coverage but Medicare's are actually lower than most. I'm talking regular Medicare, not the private version called Medicare Advantage. What's more you can go to the best hospitals in the country with Medicare and you can have some of the most expensive surgeries. Most hospitals accept Medicare patients and are well accustomed to dealing with their fee schedules. Private insurance companies also negotiate lower rates though usually above the Medicare level. Medicare simply has more clout because of its size. The bottom line is that plain old government-run Medicare is excellent insurance and meddles far less in patient care than many private insurers do. Don't listen to all of this anti-Medicare crap being spewed by folks who either don't know what they are talking about or have an ideologically driven opposition to Medicare. By the way, it is a good idea to buy a good supplement to pay the 20% of your medical costs that Medicare doesn't cover but that is entirely up to each individual.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:44 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Perhaps they mean MedicAID, not MediCARE???? Medicaid does have asset limits.

Once you're receiving it, it covers more than people think (certainly, heart surgery), such as dental bridges, crowns, and dentures. We're constantly bombarded here with ads reminding Medicaid recipients of procedures and services which are "free."

Old 03-04-2017, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,654 times
Wife has had valve replacement, bypass, and aneurysm surgery.
Medicare A, B, D, and it paid for all.
Fixing to go to rehab facility and it will pay 80%.
Great coverage's.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,654 times
Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Search Medicare.gov for covered items
type your test, item, or service here
Go
Cardiac rehabilitation programs

How often is it covered?

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation (CR) programs that include exercise, education, and counseling. Part B also covers intensive cardiac rehabilitation (ICR) programs that, like regular CR programs, include exercise, education, and counseling. ICR programs are typically more rigorous or more intense that CR programs. These programs may be provided in a hospital outpatient setting (including a critical access hospital) or in a doctor's office.

Who's eligible?

People with Part B are covered. You must be referred by your doctor and have had any of these:

A heart attack in the last 12 months
Coronary artery bypass surgery
Current stable angina pectoris
A heart valve repair or replacement
A coronary angioplasty or coronary stent
A heart or heart-lung transplant
Stable chronic heart failure
ICR programs are also covered if:

Your doctor orders it
You've had any of the conditions listed above, with the exception of stable chronic heart failure, which applies only to CR programs
Your costs in Original Medicare

You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount if you get the services in a doctor's office. In a hospital outpatient setting, you pay the hospital a copayment. The Part B deductible applies.

Note
To find out how much your specific test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or other health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
Other insurance you may have
How much your doctor charges
Whether your doctor accepts assignment
The type of facility
The location where you get your test, item, or service
Note
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. It’s important to ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and whether Medicare will pay for them.
Related resources

Cardiovascular disease screenings
Ambulance services
Ambulatory surgical centers
Anesthesia
Cosmetic surgery
Inpatient hospital care
Long-term care hospitals
Outpatient hospital services
Second surgical opinions
Surgical dressing services
Find hospitals
Medicare & You: heart disease (video)
Return to search results

Find someone to talk to

Find someone to talk to in your state Go
Footer

Old 03-05-2017, 05:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredatwork View Post
No, it's Medicare; that's why it is a shocker.

A lawyer of my uncle once warns him that if he has a primary residence; he needs to get rid of it before he's on Medicare (not Medicaid) because there are ultra expensive procedures/surgeries like heart surgery that Medicare won't pay a dime for it. Medicare won't make you sell your only home to pay for the surgery but they will put a lien on it; once you pass away your home will be sold to pay for the surgery and your heir won't have a dime left. When I first heard of it, I thought the lawyer was bullsh..ting until my mom overheard the frantic conversation from this lady at her work.
More fake news.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:06 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
I think the person is trying to say the lawyer recommended not having assets. I know when my grandmothers health started to decline, we transferred all her properties into her children's names. When the time came for her to go into a nursing home, we had to pay the monthly bill of $8k, just until she only had a little bit of money and then medicaid or medicare, picked up the entire nursing home cost. We still have the properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance