Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:14 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times

Advertisements

I am sure some yelling and screaming will begin Oct 2. Looks like we are in the screwed blue column.

Some of our retirement income comes from rentals and we must by law depreciate the rental. So according to Medicaid, we make too much money. According to Obamacare...we do not make enough money to qualify for the subsidies so we must pay $1,6++ a month, a month. Not sure what wizard decided this..probably Nancy Pelosi...she is soooo smart and all. We are 61 and wonder how this ACA helped the working poor or elderly creeping towards Medicare. I hate insurance, and I hate the ACA.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,304 times
Complain all you want folks but you are going to have to suck it....IMO the 2012 election was a big test for Obamacare, the majority has spoken and they want it.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Complain all you want folks but you are going to have to suck it....IMO the 2012 election was a big test for Obamacare, the majority has spoken and they want it.
The majority were too f....ng stupid to know what was coming. And why are you not outraged over the fact that they ( the dems) all lied to us about the affordability. Nancy stood there and said it would make it more affordable...well there will be millions dropping through the cracks anyway. So yes, suck it we will.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:48 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BISMARCK69 View Post
Every man for themselves, survival of the fittest....people should either pay for their own care or it should be through private charity, not government coercion. If something happens, so be it.....not my concern.
And so you must feel the same way about public education? Social Security? Medicare? Surely you realize how very much of your concern it will be if we DON'T all provide for, as an example, public education. Health care is no different, and people have had enough of the current system.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
The majority were too f....ng stupid to know what was coming. And why are you not outraged over the fact that they ( the dems) all lied to us about the affordability. Nancy stood there and said it would make it more affordable...well there will be millions dropping through the cracks anyway. So yes, suck it we will.
Well what is your solution?

If its nothing more than "let everyone take care of themselves", you won't get any sympathy from me. People in your age group tend to have expensive medical costs. I don't know if you know this, but the ACA limits the premiums that can be charged to older people to a maximum of 3 X the lowest rates int he plan. Presently, there is no such limitation and some people in their sixties pay up to 8 X as much for their insurance as younger groups do.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
And why are you not outraged over the fact that they (the dems) all lied to us about the affordability.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
..well there will be millions dropping through the cracks anyway.
In the first few years true. The penalty for non-purchase needs to be increased. This is a flaw. But I still see your argument as invalid. Obamacare is not perfect but it will improve things.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Rates should be dictated only by the free market. Or else, let's also regulate the price of broccoli.
I guess you didn't read anything I wrote about why sometimes markets fail.

Broccoli isn't health insurance and one would have to be truly ignorant to make that comparison. One product is an extremely simple plant that we eat with our food. The other product--insurance--is one that even lawyers have difficulty understanding and that fifty states chose individually to regulate because of its complex nature.

Did you read the part of post #96 where I indicated I once tried to get different insurance policies so that I could make the type of broccoli comparison that you suggest is possible? I was told I could not have a copy of the policies until after I made the purchase of the insurance. Without being able to compare the policies how could I shop for which is the best one?

I also notice you didn't respond to the whole issue of people being unable to afford health insurance because they began life with a serious medical condition. Is that anything you can personally relate to at all? If not, I'd suggest your opinion on this subject isn't particularly helpful.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Well, then let's change that. I think mandates like EMTALA (or however you spell it) should be removed. Honestly, I'm surprised you support the ACA.
Why are you surprised? ACA has done a lot of good things for health care. You are so focused on the State Exchanges you can't see past that.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:04 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
If they begin life with a medical condition, get a group policy.
Group policy? You must know nothing about pre-existing conditions (which will change with the ACA).

Quote:
Get a job at freaking Target or Home Depot and even they give insurance for crying out loud.
Actually few of those big box chains pay benefits, and most don't hire full time simply so that they DON'T HAVE to pay benefits. That will also change once the exchanges are available.

"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?"

Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Broccoli isn't health insurance and one would have to be truly ignorant to make that comparison. One product is an extremely simple plant that we eat with our food. The other product--insurance--is one that even lawyers have difficulty understanding and that fifty states chose individually to regulate because of its complex nature.
I think this is the heart of the debate.

And as I said before, that debate has been won at the election booth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance