U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 AM

19,975 posts, read 16,085,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Well someone has to pay for all the people who cannot afford health insurance, either the sick, elderly or those who are in good health and are on perpetual welfare and benefits.
The idea behind the universal health care system is every one pays a small amount of extra tax into the pot, when you need healthcare you take what you need out of the pot, thats the way it works in the rest of the world. I really doubt that such a system couldnt work in the USA other countries deal with their elderly and their chronically unemployed and i doubt any of their citizens would be in favor of repealing their healthcare.
Americas problem is greedy insurance companies that will fight against national healthcare.
Hospital billing practices that are outrageous, eg; $150 for a box of Kleenex.
And posters like the op who have been sucked into this rightwing notion that an affordable healthcare system will bankrupt the country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,117,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its in place now. Medicare and Medicaid.
Actually,Medicare is paid by those who are in the system, it's not a freebie. Employees pay into Medicare through payroll deduction ( as my DH and I did for over 40 years before we retired), and Medicare recipients are also charged a monthly fee ( currently at $104/month) for part B. In fact, as a retired person still doing contract work, I still pay into Medicare (and SS) from those earnings, in addition to the monthly premiums for Part B. In fact, as an independent contractor, I pay at the rate of approximately 15% for SS, and at whatever the combination rate for employer/employee would be.

Medicare and Medicaid are not synonymous.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM

8,362 posts, read 5,089,401 times
No, its not a freebie but is very cheap considering what you would pay if there wasnt a Medicare system and you had to pay premiums to a private insurer. $104 a month at an older age where the exposure to the insurance carrier is extremely high may as well be free.

Yes, I understand they are not synonymous but its still one heck of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Actually,Medicare is paid by those who are in the system, it's not a freebie. Employees pay into Medicare through payroll deduction ( as my DH and I did for over 40 years before we retired), and Medicare recipients are also charged a monthly fee ( currently at $104/month) for part B. In fact, as a retired person still doing contract work, I still pay into Medicare (and SS) from those earnings, in addition to the monthly premiums for Part B. In fact, as an independent contractor, I pay at the rate of approximately 15% for SS, and at whatever the combination rate for employer/employee would be.

Medicare and Medicaid are not synonymous.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Agree, in part. A guy 2 houses down from me took his wife to the emergency room due to unrelenting stomach pain and gastrointestinal difficulty. 6 hours at the hospital. $27,000 for the hospital, $1,100 for the doctor and $500 for lab work. They are not insured. They knew that going in. Guess what? They are going to get stiffed because she has to file for bankruptcy. The big expense was the CT scan but the drugs they administered were $5,000.00. Mostly pain killers and tranquilizers. The diagnosis? ANXIETY. As I understand it, the law says they cant deny treatment due to inability to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
This has always been the way things are. I had to have surgery a year and a half ago and the hospital said the same thing. I threw the biggest hissie fit you can imagine and I went in for surgery the next day. Hospitals pay someone to scare people without insurance away from getting the healthcare they need because they think they will get stiffed. That is the brutality of our old healthcare system. Luckily, Obamacare will now make health insurance more available to those who don't have it (Florida is one of the worst states for health insurance coverage).

Old 09-11-2013, 05:23 PM

5,360 posts, read 1,564,057 times
Quote:
Agree, in part. A guy 2 houses down from me took his wife to the emergency room due to unrelenting stomach pain and gastrointestinal difficulty. 6 hours at the hospital. $27,000 for the hospital, $1,100 for the doctor and $500 for lab work. They are not insured. They knew that going in. Guess what? They are going to get stiffed because she has to file for bankruptcy. The big expense was the CT scan but the drugs they administered were $5,000.00. Mostly pain killers and tranquilizers. The diagnosis? ANXIETY. As I understand it, the law says they cant deny treatment due to inability to pay.
If someone is in that much pain then they should go to the emergency room. It is pathetic that medical expenses drive people into bankruptcy. Obamacare is going to do a lot to prevent situation like this from happening. I also don't have insurance currently and I have pre-existing conditions. If my problem exacerbates then you can bet I will be in the ER as well. And I don't have any money to pay for it.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 PM

These folks down the street don't have any pre-existing conditions, at least thats what they tell me, but they still cant afford a private pay policy for themselves and their kids. His employer does not offer insurance and she is a stay at home mom. Crazy. I agree with you, if anything happens to me or mine, I too would have to go the bankruptcy route. I agree Obama care hopefully will prevent these kinds of problems for people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
If someone is in that much pain then they should go to the emergency room. It is pathetic that medical expenses drive people into bankruptcy. Obamacare is going to do a lot to prevent situation like this from happening. I also don't have insurance currently and I have pre-existing conditions. If my problem exacerbates then you can bet I will be in the ER as well. And I don't have any money to pay for it.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,936,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The idea behind the universal health care system is every one pays a small amount of extra tax into the pot, when you need healthcare you take what you need out of the pot, thats the way it works in the rest of the world. I really doubt that such a system couldnt work in the USA other countries deal with their elderly and their chronically unemployed and i doubt any of their citizens would be in favor of repealing their healthcare.
Americas problem is greedy insurance companies that will fight against national healthcare.
Hospital billing practices that are outrageous, eg; $150 for a box of Kleenex.
And posters like the op who have been sucked into this rightwing notion that an affordable healthcare system will bankrupt the country.
Problem with Obamacare is as of Oct 1st the exchanges are suppose to be up and running, I highly doubt they will be up and running...

Kaiser Foundation says Florida is not yet releasing enough information about what ObamaCare insurance rates will be. - OrlandoSentinel.com

Supposedly offering Americans "lower cost options", my company provides Health Insurance it's basically cheap for a single person, but married or have kids, wowza! It's expensive! Upward of $500 to $1200/month. That does not include Vision or Dental either. I do not know how people making $40K/year can afford $1200/month insurance for a family plan on one income? Will the "Exchanges" really offer low cost/affordable care? I am not holding my breath, greed and insane high wages most medical people make has to come from somewhere, not even including the pharmaceutical companies profits and a pill for this and that.

I went to the Doctoer one time for knee pain from cycling, did not even examine me, just whipped out his Rx tablet and prescribed me some meds that he get's kick backs on, and walked out 5 mins later, saw the bill, $300, meds were $100+ without Health Insurance, $10 with, not to mention the $40 co-pay. I tossed the Rx in the trash and went to PT for a few weeks instead which was not cheap but those people actually physically made contact to determine my best recovery. I changed Doctors soon after because he was worthless.

Speaking of the Pharma Companies, I have been to several Dr's offices and see them come in, usually attractive woman wearing high heels and pants suits or skirts, wheeling a little suit case full of samples and typically have Starbucks coffee and bagels in the other hand. Probably make major commissions, many people prescribed stuff that makes them feel worse or causes more problems, like Antibiotics that kill all the good Flora in your stomach and causes other issues if you do not know to take a good Probiotic, the Dr won't tell you though because the problem it creates equals more revenue when you come back with another symptom.

We have become a nation of drug addicts and while somethings might be beneficial, many seem to have negative side effects yet profits and stock values of these big Pharma companies goes up and up.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 PM

5,642 posts, read 5,669,372 times
Quote:
This is what we get with ignorant people who won't spring for a simple office visit and pile into the ER. So essentially she had gas or diarrhea and a mental problem. And NO WAY did 6 hours in the ER meds for GI or anxiety cost 5,000. "Unrelenting stomach pain" LOL. LIke when you eat too much popcorn at the movies? Ridiculous.

And I say that as a mother of a 25 year old who actually THOUGHT he could not go to a doctor for a RASH without insurance. I'm like: DUDE pay the office fee and go to the doctor. Him "What? You mean I can just go to a doctor?".

Another Obama voter.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-11-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Problem with Obamacare is as of Oct 1st the exchanges are suppose to be up and running, I highly doubt they will be up and running...

Kaiser Foundation says Florida is not yet releasing enough information about what ObamaCare insurance rates will be. - OrlandoSentinel.com

Supposedly offering Americans "lower cost options", my company provides Health Insurance it's basically cheap for a single person, but married or have kids, wowza! It's expensive! Upward of $500 to $1200/month. That does not include Vision or Dental either. I do not know how people making $40K/year can afford $1200/month insurance for a family plan on one income? Will the "Exchanges" really offer low cost/affordable care? I am not holding my breath, greed and insane high wages most medical people make has to come from somewhere, not even including the pharmaceutical companies profits and a pill for this and that.

I went to the Doctoer one time for knee pain from cycling, did not even examine me, just whipped out his Rx tablet and prescribed me some meds that he get's kick backs on, and walked out 5 mins later, saw the bill, $300, meds were $100+ without Health Insurance, $10 with, not to mention the $40 co-pay. I tossed the Rx in the trash and went to PT for a few weeks instead which was not cheap but those people actually physically made contact to determine my best recovery. I changed Doctors soon after because he was worthless.

Speaking of the Pharma Companies, I have been to several Dr's offices and see them come in, usually attractive woman wearing high heels and pants suits or skirts, wheeling a little suit case full of samples and typically have Starbucks coffee and bagels in the other hand. Probably make major commissions, many people prescribed stuff that makes them feel worse or causes more problems, like Antibiotics that kill all the good Flora in your stomach and causes other issues if you do not know to take a good Probiotic, the Dr won't tell you though because the problem it creates equals more revenue when you come back with another symptom.

We have become a nation of drug addicts and while somethings might be beneficial, many seem to have negative side effects yet profits and stock values of these big Pharma companies goes up and up.
Here's a tip. BEfore you go to a doctor ask how much it's gonna cost. It's not rocket science.

Sounds to me like you were VERY uninvolved in your own "recovery".

And LOL the doctor not telling anyone about antibiotics. Of course they do. Because for one thing, it makes birth control pills ineffective. Secondly, they tell you to do probiotics with them. Even veterinarians do, and every time they offer a probiotic the client complains they just want to rip them off. Sorta like you.

If you're so against meds why did you even GO to a doctor for the knee to begin with and say NOTHING about not getting an exray or whatever your complaint is.

I don't even understand what you're complaining about. You didn't like the $40.00 co pay? Or the $10.00 RX? And in my entire life I've never seen a doctor bill list two different prices one with insurance and one without. I call BS on that.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM

Hilarious all these people loving Obamacare and not even concerned that the REAL THINGS that would have changed health care tremendously were purchasing insurance interstate and tort reform. Which the Lawyer In Chief refused to address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance