Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 08:53 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times

Advertisements

I've been uninsured for 8 years now (since I was 18). In the last 4-5 years, I've really wanted to get health insurance, but every time I try to look at plans, I get super confused, and my general conclusion is that is a total ripoff and I'm better off just as self pay. (pending no huge emergencies). Background: I work as a contractor so I'm ineligible for benefits, I'm still looking for a full-time position.

This year I've had some health issues with my stomach and stress/anxiety, and I've been racking up the bills again getting bloodwork, tests, and doctor visits. (around $3500 this year so far and growing) I keep telling myself to get insurance already, but it just seems like a total ripoff. Not only am I looking at paying a couple hundred a month for an "average" plan, most plans seem extremely vague in what they cover and don't cover, with stuff you think that should be covered actually not being covered! Then you end up paying for this type of stuff out of pocket (till your deductible is covered) or having to buy an extra plan to cover these expenses. Not to count the costs they charge for tests with insurance is ridiculously high... I just got an ultrasound done and got a 70% discount for self pay. I still paid $500. With insurance, it would have cost around $1400!

It just seems obviously better to self pay, but I guess the point here is that I'm so uneducated on health insurance, I'm not really sure.

So what are my best options? Are there any services out there that act as "health advisors", someone that can help you get an insurance plan and explain exactly how it works? (in regards to what is covered or not, since I always find this the biggest gray area when looking at plans). Am I right to think it is actually cheaper to be self pay than have a health insurance plan right now? (I'm 26, but like I said have been having some heath issues with my stomach this year)

Someone suggested I just buy a "catastrophe plan" for real cheap, like $25-30 a month to protect me from emergency medical needs or surgery, and keep self paying for my doctor visits and tests.

All and all, I'm completely lost and confused about health insurance and not really sure who to turn to for help! Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by the_grimace; 09-14-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Your deductible is like self-paying, only that it stops after a certain point. You can pick what you want your deductible to be but at $3500 out of pocket already, you probably would have met a deductible by now. With the various exchanges coming out with rates now, you should get a good idea of what you will be paying for a plan. Given your age, in our state, a "silver" plan would run you about $150/month before any tax credits. Since you are self-employed, it may be possible to deduct some or all of your medical premiums too...

No one likes paying for insurance....until they need it.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Also remember that young people are required to make a pool(exchange) work. It requires a mix of younger less use and older more use to spread the risk(payouts).I forget but there was publish info; a few months ago of the per centage of younger people need ACA requires to make it work without huge increases in premimums as scored. The first year premiums will be based on actuary figures and could change. A lot also depends on managing use so as not to have excessive use such as emergency room for non-emergency.If they can't get the right mix or people abuse the premiums could go up a lot when second year comes around just like any insurance pool. Not much room if any for higher government subsidties really.Insurance companies don't have problem because they like now get 20% of cost based on claims. Only difference is they now refund while they lowered premiums before for next year based on contract terms. Unlike medicare they can't set price low and then rely on private insurance to subsidise that low price either like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance