Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Whether Marie Antoinette said it or someone else said it makes no difference. I think the OP's intent was to
suggest a frame of mind.
No one here apparently has any knowledge of the French Revolution. What do you think is worse - what Marie Antionette was (mistakenly) alleged to have said - or the Reign of Terror that came later during the French Revolution? There's a reason why places like Versailles are still among the most beloved attractions in France - while all Robespierre (who basically liked to silence dissidents by chopping off their heads) has is a single subway station in a rather dull part of town named after him (and I wouldn't even have given him that).

I think the French Revolution may have some "teachable moments" for us - and people elsewhere. Read about it. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Aye, it was. And it's interesting to note that the poster to whom you responded didn't take the time to research the answer for herself instead of asking the question. That actually, was even MORE the point I hoped to make. To many opinions and questions without prior research.
I asked the question because you were wrong historically. Robyn

Old 10-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Another point I should address I guess, is that our country also benefits from all that cheap labor, because for the most part US Citizens don't want those jobs. They are not willing to work out in 90 to 110 degree temperatures, doing manual labor, maintaining your yards for $80-$100 a month, or laying that heavy block for your new fence, or cleaning up after people in their homes or hotels, or picking crops out in the fields.

What would happen to the low cost of goods and labor, if we lost these illegals? Truth be told, we like them (perhaps subconsciously) because they make life more affordable for us. So if we are not going to run them out of Dodge, why don't we have them pay into the system as well. We need young people paying into social security, and we need more tax revenue. Why do we allow them to stay here, and not even let them fully contribute to all the areas we would benefit in?

In other words s..., or get off the pot. Most countries try and enact laws that contribute to helping their
country prosper. We don't even enforce the laws we have and can't seem to make up our minds.
But one thing for sure. We can't have our cake and eat it to. We can't take advantage of cheap labor, but then say you can't be here and be part of our society.

It's a REALLY LONG BORDER down there. How would you stop the flow or at least control it? If you could stop it - are you willing to pay much higher prices for goods and services?

If it turns out we can't physically control our borders to the degree we would like. Are there other solutions that could be enacted that might make some sense for both us and them?

It's so easy to blame. But to find solutions requires so much more effort.
If you or someone else wants to hire illegals to save money - that is your problem. You know - you could move to parts of central or south America - and hire people to work for you for peanuts. Is that your goal in life? It isn't mine.

Actually - I only employ companies/people that are legal. So perhaps I pay more (perhaps a lot more) than people who like to benefit from cheap (often illegal) labor. Like $300/month instead of your $100/month. Ditto for other services.

The guys who work in my yard are basically domestic rednecks (yes - people who aren't illegals are willing to do this work at the right price - but not for less than they'd get living off the dole).

So what do you (generically) want? Cheap stuff? Cheap workers? Or are you willing to pay hard-working people a living wage? Robyn

Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
So, I guess you adhere to the premise of packing them all up and shipping them back. Would you split up the families? You think it would serve the US economy? Is that your economic policy and or your solution?

So now lets see:

We got those freeloading illegals

We got those deadbeats

We got those (old fart) old people

Now we got those domestic rednecks

Anyone else you care to add to the pile?

I think I see very clearly how you view the rest of society. Especially those low income deviants.

Last edited by modhatter; 10-19-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 06:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
No one here apparently has any knowledge of the French Revolution. What do you think is worse - what Marie Antionette was (mistakenly) alleged to have said - or the Reign of Terror that came later during the French Revolution? There's a reason why places like Versailles are still among the most beloved attractions in France - while all Robespierre (who basically liked to silence dissidents by chopping off their heads) has is a single subway station in a rather dull part of town named after him (and I wouldn't even have given him that).

I think the French Revolution may have some "teachable moments" for us - and people elsewhere. Read about it. Robyn
What I was saying, is that if you treat people like s**t, whether their illegal or not, sooner or later someone decides to right the wrongs. THAT is the lesson of the French Revolution, and one that has not been learned by the well-to-do over the generations.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
So, I guess you adhere to the premise of packing them all up and shipping them back. Would you split up the families? You think it would serve the US economy? Is that your economic policy and or your solution?

So now lets see:

We got those freeloading illegals

We got those deadbeats

We got those (old fart) old people

Now we got those domestic rednecks

Anyone else you care to add to the pile?

I think I see very clearly how you view the rest of society. Especially those low income deviants.
Actually - you don't see anything at all. Our "domestic rednecks" are for the most part hard-working folk. Perhaps my perspective is skewed - because they're working for me (and I know some of their families). Many are also taking care of children - parents or both. Note that many aren't poor - some in part because they're 2 income households - some in part because they're holding down 2 jobs. Often - older children are working part time too. Keep in mind that these people are already paying a fair amount in taxes. Income taxes - FICA - property taxes - sales taxes. Why should these people have to subsidize anyone - especially deadbeats? Robyn

Old 10-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Gee, I'd hate to hear what kind of affectionate name you might pin on me, Robyn, if I were your friend.

So Deadbeats don't pay Fica taxes, property taxes, sales taxes. No lower income families own a home or pay ANY taxes. All low income earners are Deadbeats. I think we're getting there now Robyn.
You only have a little more to go.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
What I was saying, is that if you treat people like s**t, whether their illegal or not, sooner or later someone decides to right the wrongs. THAT is the lesson of the French Revolution, and one that has not been learned by the well-to-do over the generations.
So you're advocating violence (which is part of what the French Revolution was all about)? Robyn

Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Gee, I'd hate to hear what kind of affectionate name you might pin on me, Robyn, if I were your friend.

So Deadbeats don't pay Fica taxes, property taxes, sales taxes. No lower income families own a home or pay ANY taxes. All low income earners are Deadbeats. I think we're getting there now Robyn.
You only have a little more to go.
I give up (since you seem determined to twist my words and concentrate on ad hominem attacks instead of substantive ideas).

BTW - I care - everyone cares. We can all sing kumbaya. To whom should we carers send the bills? Our children? Our grandchildren? Treasury (so it can print more bonds that the Fed will buy)? Robyn

Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 PM

No Robyn, I don't think I am twisting your words. I am repeating what you have said. It is you throughout this entire forum discussion who have dissed any real discussion of how we could improve the situation and entertain ideas of how it could be made to work. I have posted web sites of all the different types of single payer health care systems all the other countries have embraced.

You do not seem to be able to open your mind up the the fact that there might be a better way. Instead you continue to fuel the anti-anything-Obama fire at every opportunity possible. Most people who probably voted for Obama who have responded on this forum in a honest objective way, have said they do not feel that the ACA went far enough, as it did not fully address the cost issue. We feel it was a good first step. Now we want to explore more cost savings measures. You on the other hand have offered nothing but blame.

Also, it is impossible after reading so many of your posts but help notice that you are a very prejudiced person. I am sick and tired of hearing about your Mayo Clinic and your upper middle class circle of friends you only associate with, and all the important people you know. I think you are a snob, and a very selfish person. You appear to have a real disdain for the underclass. I feel certain that I am not alone in these observations, and I am saying what I believe many feel.

You can be intellectual and knowledgeable and even right on some matters, and have a gift of gab and can therefore easily dissuade those who know the least. That makes you dangerous. It is for these reasons that I have countered on some of your contributions that I feel are erroneous, short sighted, prejudiced or just plain wrong. Now that I have that off my chest, we can more on.

FYI I have not engaged in an ad hominem. An ad hom is a logical fallacy. Merely attacking your character is not logically fallacious. Now if I had said something to the effect that you're a primadona, therefor your arguments are invalid. That would be an ad hominem logical fallacy. I have addressed all your arguments in all of my posts to you. There's nothing left for me to address, as you are hung up on a singular point aka "entitlement bad".

Last edited by modhatter; 10-20-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance