U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-13-2013, 12:55 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,744,886 times
Reputation: 456

Advertisements

I heard stories of families who had the same insurance for a long time and suddenly were tossed off.

I can understand your premiums going up, but why are some people totally thrown off??
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 PM
 
20,797 posts, read 32,875,620 times
Reputation: 9906
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I heard stories of families who had the same insurance for a long time and suddenly were tossed off.

I can understand your premiums going up, but why are some people totally thrown off??
because a lot of those plans were no longer compliant and they have to discontinue the plan....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 AM
bUU
 
6,123 posts, read 2,524,247 times
Reputation: 3508
They could have addressed the inadequacies of the existing plan, but in the cases the OP alluded to evidently the insurance company decided not to. It is their right as a for-profit business to discontinue offerings if the costs of providing it wouldn't be justified by the revenues it would bring in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 AM
 
20,797 posts, read 32,875,620 times
Reputation: 9906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
They could have addressed the inadequacies of the existing plan, but in the cases the OP alluded to evidently the insurance company decided not to. It is their right as a for-profit business to discontinue offerings if the costs of providing it wouldn't be justified by the revenues it would bring in.
They did, by offering different plans...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 AM
bUU
 
6,123 posts, read 2,524,247 times
Reputation: 3508
I think folks can make a good case that that wasn't "the same insurance". I suppose it is a matter of semantics: Either the insurance companies did offer "the same insurance" that now included Essential Benefits, and those families the OP mentioned decided not to purchase them; or the insurance companies decided not to offer "the same insurance" and instead offered different plans.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 AM
 
20,797 posts, read 32,875,620 times
Reputation: 9906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think folks can make a good case that that wasn't "the same insurance". I suppose it is a matter of semantics: Either the insurance companies did offer "the same insurance" that now included Essential Benefits, and those families the OP mentioned decided not to purchase them; or the insurance companies decided not to offer "the same insurance" and instead offered different plans.
It's not semantics, it's insurance laws, especially when you are dealing with individual plans. They can't make substantial changes to existing plans and since the law requires substantial changes, they have to drop those plans and write new ones that meet the new guidelines. Also, it's not new for companies to stop offering certain plans. That happens almost yearly. It's just newsworthy now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM
bUU
 
6,123 posts, read 2,524,247 times
Reputation: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
They can't make substantial changes to existing plans
I'm curious: Of course they cannot make substantial changes to existing policies, but what exactly prevents making substantial changes to existing plans?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
 
20,797 posts, read 32,875,620 times
Reputation: 9906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm curious: Of course they cannot make substantial changes to existing policies, but what exactly prevents making substantial changes to existing plans?
same thing...plan is for groups, policies are for individuals. The difference being that your employer decides what is covered and what is not, not the insurance company. With an individual plan they are usually pre-set plans that you pick from..still selecting the coverage but not really being able to customize the plan. Companies can customize their plans. Each plan year is a new contract, thus a new plan.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 AM
bUU
 
6,123 posts, read 2,524,247 times
Reputation: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
same thing...
No. Not the same thing. So it really was a matter of semantics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
plan is for groups, policies are for individuals.
Not according to any standard word use I've seen published. As the words are typically used and as it applies in the comments I've posted: Plans are offerings of policies - there are plans for groups and plans for individuals; policies are applicable for specific individuals or groups for a specific period of time.

As such, going back to the topic of this thread, people being "thrown off their existing care", no insurance companies were forced to cancel policies. And nothing prevents an insurance company from changing a plan to comply with the requirements. Again, as the words are typically used.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 AM
 
20,797 posts, read 32,875,620 times
Reputation: 9906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No. Not the same thing. So it really was a matter of semantics.

Not according to any standard word use I've seen published. As the words are typically used and as it applies in the comments I've posted: Plans are offerings of policies - there are plans for groups and plans for individuals; policies are applicable for specific individuals or groups for a specific period of time.

As such, going back to the topic of this thread, people being "thrown off their existing care", no insurance companies were forced to cancel policies. And nothing prevents an insurance company from changing a plan to comply with the requirements. Again, as the words are typically used.
yes, companies were forced to cancel policies because they no longer complied with insurance laws (ACA). It happens all the time in the insurance world...sorry if you don't understand that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top