Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 PM

138 posts, read 318,927 times

Advertisements

My step daughter had a childhood injury that caused a bump on her nose. The bump also caused some minor breathing difficulty. She went to a plastic surgeon in Dallas. He convinced her not to file an insurance claim, so she made the mistake of not filing. He removed the bump, but complications exist from the surgery. Another operation is needed. She is 20 but still on my work medical plan (a different policy now). Will the 2nd operation be covered by my insurance? She has went to a free consultation with several doctors and they all seem to avoid wanting to deal with her because of the risk involved. I think there is a one year limit on insurance claims, so it is too late to file a claim now for the 1st operation. I would guess the reason the doctor convinced her to avoid insurance is that he could get a higher rate for the service. Any advice?

Last edited by jackdon; 11-01-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,305,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdon View Post
My step daughter had a childhood injury that caused a bump on her nose. The bump also caused some minor breathing difficulty. She went to a plastic surgeon in Dallas. He convinced her not to file an insurance claim, so she made the mistake of not filing. He removed the bump, but complications exist from the surgery. Another operation is needed. She is 20 but still on my work medical plan (a different policy now). Will the 2nd operation be covered by my insurance? She has went to a free consultation with several doctors and they all seem to avoid wanting to deal with her because of the risk involved. I think there is a one year limit on insurance claims, so it is too late to file a claim now for the 1st operation. I would guess the reason the doctor convinced her to avoid insurance is that he could get a higher rate for the service. Any advice?
Filing or not filing insurance doesn't impact whether or not her surgery was successful. If the surgery was elective and cosmetic in nature, insurance may not have covered the procedure. As for the other, what did your insurance representative say?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,384,194 times
The way my insurance policies always read - complications of surgery not covered by insurance (e.g., facelift) weren't covered. Complications of covered surgery (e.g., hysterectomy) were. What does the specific language in your policy say regarding this? Robyn

Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 PM

138 posts, read 318,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Filing or not filing insurance doesn't impact whether or not her surgery was successful. If the surgery was elective and cosmetic in nature, insurance may not have covered the procedure. As for the other, what did your insurance representative say?
As I said, the bump was caused by a childhood injury, which should be covered by insurance. But my wife and kid did all this without telling me and were too stupid to file a claim.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,508,741 times
You need to check with your insurance ;policies differ. Likely they are going to want a explaination from a surgeon before giving pre approval just as they would with the original;no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance