Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthcarefirst View Post
Just watched this...Oh my FREAKIN' GAWD!!!!!!.....how can anyone in their right minds have any trust whatsoever in those controlling their healthcare right now???? My god the corruption

I can understand more clearly now too why some are so opposed to everyone being forced to have insurance (though maybe not for the same reasons). This in effect actually ensures the insurance companies success all the more by having more people "locked in" to their grubby ways more so than ever before.

I tell you what Modhatter, let me buy you a plane ticket on the red eye with me when I return home to Scotland in a few years
Isn't that something. Mr. Potter testified at Senate hearings, and gave them the all the god awful details of the insurance companies. I think some of it might be on You Tube. Type in Wendell Potter testifies or something like that.
Oh my FREAKIN' GAWD!!!!!!.....how can anyone in their right minds have any trust whatsoever in those controlling their healthcare right now???? My god the corruption

Yes, and the government (Republicans-well actually the Insurance Companies PR people who scripted it for the Republicans) were saying during the health care debate. "Don't let government get between you and your doctor" And this " They want to design Death Panels to determine who lives or dies", or this one
"Don't let them throw grandma off a cliff"

I am on Medicare, but have always worried for my son who has had to buy individual policies. I have talked to him about moving to a different country if things were to get too bad here. Thanks for the offer . I hear Scotland is very beautiful. I have not been there, but my brother visited the UK and said he really liked Scotland. He said the Pub life at night there was a real hoot, and gave them the opportunity to meet the locals.

Last edited by modhatter; 11-11-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthcarefirst View Post
...You won't be able to watch it with an american IP address on that link I've posted (strange yet again)...
It's probably bootleg - and there are probably copyright issues. There were copyright issues that arose when the film was first released (Michael Moore professes not to care about copyright issues - then again - he apparently didn't put up the money to make the film).

For all of you who don't care to deal with the mechanics - the movie is in indictment of HMOs in the United States. Anyone who really likes HMOs (all 10 of you in the US) can watch the movie and perhaps it will change your mind. OTOH - what has the ACA brought us? Not only more HMOs - but something new (at least new to me) called an EPO - an exclusive provider network - with "NO COVERAGE" out of network. Perhaps some people will wind up with great insurance coverage - at least on paper - under the ACA. Great doctors - with extensive provider networks? Well no one apparently has given much attention to that. Also - for older people with modest incomes with MA HMO plans - perhaps the only plans they can afford - well MA plans seem to be deteriorating/disappearing faster than tropical plants in a hard freeze.

Also - the film is in part a paean to the wonders of the medical system in Cuba. Which is so great that thousands of Cuban/Americans get in small boats in Florida in desperate attempts to get their medical care there . And so great that Fidel Castro (whenever I think of him - I think of the Woodie Allen movie Bananas ) was apparently not treated properly in Cuba for what increasingly seems to be a case of diverticular disease (his actual medical problems are more closely guarded state secrets than national security issues in most other countries).

Fidel Castro's medical care in the socialized Cuban paradise | Hacienda Publishing

At some point - he apparently wound up in Spain for medical treatment:

Castro 'admitted to Spanish hospital' | Mail Online

And seems ok now for a man of his age (various problems but seemingly nothing critical) OTOH - Hugo Chavez wound up getting medical treatment in Cuba - apparently for political reasons:

Venezuela's Hugo Chavez Sinks On Credulity In Cuban Health Care - Investors.com

And he's dead now. I could see being a "medical tourist" if I lived in Venezuela:

News from The Associated Press

But Cuba is an odd choice of destinations IMO - especially for a "supreme leader":

Michael Moore does make an occasional valid point in his work. But his work is so larded with political BS IMO that it's hard to take the stuff he does seriously as a whole. Robyn

Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 PM

Here are two more videos you may also enjoy watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK-3c6uAgz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAPWtNoTdM

His last sentence in the first video says it all to me. That's why trying to enlighten people here in the US is so important, and what keeps us from achieving universal care. The politicians will never willingly do it on our behalf.

If you like I can point you to video's and a PBS special on him and his visits to other coutries.

Last edited by modhatter; 11-11-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM

66 posts, read 85,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Isn't that something. Mr. Potter testified at Senate hearings, and gave them the all the god awful details of the insurance companies. I think some of it might be on You Tube. Type in Wendell Potter testifies or something like that.
Oh my FREAKIN' GAWD!!!!!!.....how can anyone in their right minds have any trust whatsoever in those controlling their healthcare right now???? My god the corruption
Yes, and the government (Republicans-well actually the Insurance Companies PR people who scripted it for the Republicans) were saying during the health care debate. "Don't let government get between you and your doctor" And this " They want to design Death Panels to determine who lives or dies", or this one
"Don't let them throw grandma off a cliff"

I am on Medicare, but have always worried for my son who has had to buy individual policies. I have talked to him about moving to a different country if things were to get too bad here. Thanks for the offer . I hear Scotland is very beautiful. I have not been there, but my brother visited the UK and said he really liked Scotland. He said the Pub life at night there was a real hoot, and gave them the opportunity to meet the locals.
It is indeed a beautiful country, particularly in the highlands and remote islands. The further North you travel, the more rugged and mountainous the scenery. I particularly love the Isle of Skye Truelly stunning And yep the pub life is something else, particularly the small town/ village pubs

Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
It's probably bootleg - and there are probably copyright issues. There were copyright issues that arose when the film was first released (Michael Moore professes not to care about copyright issues - then again - he apparently didn't put up the money to make the film).

For all of you who don't care to deal with the mechanics - the movie is in indictment of HMOs in the United States. Anyone who really likes HMOs (all 10 of you in the US) can watch the movie and perhaps it will change your mind. OTOH - what has the ACA brought us? Not only more HMOs - but something new (at least new to me) called an EPO - an exclusive provider network - with "NO COVERAGE" out of network. Perhaps some people will wind up with great insurance coverage - at least on paper - under the ACA. Great doctors - with extensive provider networks? Well no one apparently has given much attention to that. Also - for older people with modest incomes with MA HMO plans - perhaps the only plans they can afford - well MA plans seem to be deteriorating/disappearing faster than tropical plants in a hard freeze.

Also - the film is in part a paean to the wonders of the medical system in Cuba. Which is so great that thousands of Cuban/Americans get in small boats in Florida in desperate attempts to get their medical care there . And so great that Fidel Castro (whenever I think of him - I think of the Woodie Allen movie Bananas ) was apparently not treated properly in Cuba for what increasingly seems to be a case of diverticular disease (his actual medical problems are more closely guarded state secrets than national security issues in most other countries).

Fidel Castro's medical care in the socialized Cuban paradise | Hacienda Publishing

At some point - he apparently wound up in Spain for medical treatment:

Castro 'admitted to Spanish hospital' | Mail Online

And seems ok now for a man of his age (various problems but seemingly nothing critical) OTOH - Hugo Chavez wound up getting medical treatment in Cuba - apparently for political reasons:

Venezuela's Hugo Chavez Sinks On Credulity In Cuban Health Care - Investors.com

And he's dead now. I could see being a "medical tourist" if I lived in Venezuela:

News from The Associated Press

But Cuba is an odd choice of destinations IMO - especially for a "supreme leader":

Michael Moore does make an occasional valid point in his work. But his work is so larded with political BS IMO that it's hard to take the stuff he does seriously as a whole. Robyn

Can I just add to Robyn's comments that the filmmakers also visit other countries with Universal Healthcare - Canada, UK and France. Michael Moore visits hospitals, interviews staff and patients (including Americans who are now living in these countries) and finds to his astonishment, how happy folk generally are with their healthcare system..
Robyn (and everyone else who has an open mind and who are willing to accept that they aren't being told the whole truth by those they entrust with their healthcare needs ) I would urge you to watch the links posted on Modhatter's last post. Two words..Simply outrageous .

Last edited by healthcarefirst; 11-11-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I have no interest at all to see a documentary by Michael Moore and would never do it.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I have no interest at all to see a documentary by Michael Moore and would never do it.
Rubi, Are the other videos I posted links too also off limits for you? Are you totally not interested in learning anything new other than what ever you have been told thus far?

Also, Robyn's synopses of the Michael Moore"s movie (that she suggests you don't watch) is totally inaccurate. Yes, there are a few Hollywood moments in it (need to make it entertaining as well) but the meat of it is real. Tell me what's unreal about the other 3 video's I posted links to, Robyn.

Last edited by modhatter; 11-11-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 04:32 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Rubi, Are the other videos I posted links too also off limits for you? Are you totally not interested in learning anything new other than what ever you have been told thus far?

Also, Robyn's synopses of the Michael Moore"s movie (that she suggests you don't watch) is totally inaccurate. Yes, there are a few Hollywood moments in it (need to make it entertaining as well) but the meat of it is real. Tell me what's unreal about the other 3 video's I posted links to, Robyn.
I don't care to refute any endless list of youtubes. Healthcarefirst is here in the US because he/she has thought for a while it's a better place to live and raise a family. After all - there's the lower cost of living - the better salary - the swimming pool - the better weather - etc. - etc. Regardless of any perceived deficiencies in our health care system.

You have never ever been in Scotland - yet somehow think it's superior to the US without having set foot on its soil. I've been in Scotland. The rural areas are amusing in a rural kind of way (lots of sheep) - as long as you have appropriate weather gear (even in September). The cities - not so much (except in famous tourist areas).

And I'm sure you know zip about Scotland. Perhaps even about one of the most important issues facing Scotland now - the scheduled vote on independence next year. Much less what it might mean. Immigration is a big issue. IIRC - population in Scotland has been falling/been about static over the years - and it's kind of desperate to get new people to move there - however. Perhaps because it can't get any white British person (almost 100% of the population there - it's almost totally non-diverse racially - doesn't have beans in the way of Muslims or Jews either) to deal with its increasingly elderly population in adult diapers. Since white Brits won't do it - perhaps aides from Africa will have to do (keeping in mind that most Brits I've met are more narrow minded racially than most rednecks in the US).

Note that 25%+ of people in Scotland are > 65. Makes Florida look like a child's camp.

Anyway - healthcarefirst wants to return to Scotland - bye <waving>. Ditto with you or any other member of your family (although I always suggest that people spend time in a place before they decide to move there). Robyn

Old 11-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't care to refute any endless list of youtubes. Healthcarefirst is here in the US because he/she has thought for a while it's a better place to live and raise a family. After all - there's the lower cost of living - the better salary - the swimming pool - the better weather - etc. - etc. Regardless of any perceived deficiencies in our health care system.

You have never ever been in Scotland - yet somehow think it's superior to the US without having set foot on its soil. I've been in Scotland. The rural areas are amusing in a rural kind of way (lots of sheep) - as long as you have appropriate weather gear (even in September). The cities - not so much (except in famous tourist areas).

And I'm sure you know zip about Scotland. Perhaps even about one of the most important issues facing Scotland now - the scheduled vote on independence next year. Much less what it might mean. Immigration is a big issue. IIRC - population in Scotland has been falling/been about static over the years - and it's kind of desperate to get new people to move there - however. Perhaps because it can't get any white British person (almost 100% of the population there - it's almost totally non-diverse racially - doesn't have beans in the way of Muslims or Jews either) to deal with its increasingly elderly population in adult diapers. Since white Brits won't do it - perhaps aides from Africa will have to do (keeping in mind that most Brits I've met are more narrow minded racially than most rednecks in the US).

Note that 25%+ of people in Scotland are > 65. Makes Florida look like a child's camp.

Anyway - healthcarefirst wants to return to Scotland - bye <waving>. Ditto with you or any other member of your family (although I always suggest that people spend time in a place before they decide to move there). Robyn
Wow...I mean...wow. What charm school did you graduate from Robyn?! Pretty unnecessary derogatory, nasty comments there. I think Modhatter was merely making pleasant chit chat about Scotland, he wasn't professing to know the in's and out's of the country as a whole (unlike yourself, based on your "visit") nor was he implying he was going to move.

Very disappointing.

Last edited by healthcarefirst; 11-11-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Ignorance truly is bliss...the people who refuse to even check out the movie confirm that.
I know Michael Moore is controversial, but this particular movie is an eye opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance