U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-22-2013, 02:16 PM

53 posts, read 18,689 times
Default Aghast what info is needed to sign up for Health Ins.

Anyone else shocked and upset?
I had heard that it wasn't too difficult to sign up for Health Insurance through the NY Health Exchange, so I decided to give it a try.
They want to know everyone's income in the household, including what deductions you plan to claim for 2014! How would I know that unless I did my taxes first? And the person I was talking to said if I wasn't correct with my info, I could get in trouble with the IRS!
I did not complete the application, now I feel that I need to do my taxes first, and the deadline was Dec. 15 for January 1.
This was really a mistake to have the federal government involved in Health Insurance. I can't even get a quote without giving them all my info.
Anyone get through this? Advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM

789 posts, read 336,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymax17 View Post
Anyone else shocked and upset?
I had heard that it wasn't too difficult to sign up for Health Insurance through the NY Health Exchange, so I decided to give it a try.
They want to know everyone's income in the household, including what deductions you plan to claim for 2014! How would I know that unless I did my taxes first? And the person I was talking to said if I wasn't correct with my info, I could get in trouble with the IRS!
I did not complete the application, now I feel that I need to do my taxes first, and the deadline was Dec. 15 for January 1.
This was really a mistake to have the federal government involved in Health Insurance. I can't even get a quote without giving them all my info.
Anyone get through this? Advise?
Welcome to the world of interacting with the feds! I have not used the exchanges yet but I have to deal with the feds in other ways. My simple rule of thumb is this: federal equals failure.

Unread 11-22-2013, 04:32 PM

9,892 posts, read 5,966,479 times
Advice.
Use the same figures as in your last year returns unless there has been some substantial changes this year.
The IRS will not be coming after you even if you make a mistake.
The most that would happen is , if and when an adjustment has to be made, any subsidy may be revised.
If your family income is too high for a subsidy, skip the gov site and apply directly from the insurer's .

Unread 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM

53 posts, read 18,689 times
Thanks for the advise, do you know what income level is "too high"?
I wonder if you can apply directly with the insurance company's, my local insurance agency that handled my prior insurance doesn't trust signing up online. Since my policy doesn't end till February, they suggest waiting.
What a mess, I feel like there will be even more people uninsured than before, and this time it will be middle America!

Unread 11-22-2013, 08:53 PM

12,244 posts, read 14,043,561 times
Quote:
Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Unread 11-22-2013, 09:44 PM

515 posts, read 344,721 times
Good grief!! I did the calculator because I was curious, and it would cost us $11,300 a year! Can that possibly be right? I had to answer no under the does the employer offer insurance because it wouldn't give me a quote otherwise. That price was for the Silver plan. Do they really think that anyone would pay that?

Unread 11-23-2013, 02:51 AM

9,892 posts, read 5,966,479 times
Quote:
I wonder if you can apply directly with the insurance company's, my local insurance agency that handled my prior insurance doesn't trust signing up online. Since my policy doesn't end till February, they suggest waiting.
What a mess, I feel like there will be even more people uninsured than before, and this time it will be middle America!
You can sign directly but if you qualify for a subsidy you have to use the government site or wait until the end of the tax year to apply for a refund . Through the site is the only way to have the premium reduced on a monthly basis.

Unread 11-23-2013, 09:28 AM

6,233 posts, read 3,311,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Good grief!! I did the calculator because I was curious, and it would cost us $11,300 a year! Can that possibly be right? I had to answer no under the does the employer offer insurance because it wouldn't give me a quote otherwise. That price was for the Silver plan. Do they really think that anyone would pay that?
That's below average for health insurance for a family. The average family plan costs over $15,000.

Unread 11-23-2013, 02:07 PM

15,936 posts, read 15,936,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's below average for health insurance for a family.
The average family plan costs over $15,000.
I hope that means the average family is earning $150,000

Unread 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM

273 posts, read 272,543 times
The tax credits are for people between 133 and 400% of poverty level. If you are below that you can either apply for medicaid-if your state expanded it or you are left out. That's what happened with the SCOTUS decision.
Federal Poverty Guidelines Each family size has different limits.
Since it a income based only limit you have to provide information about your income. You can change the information during the year if your situation changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance