Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,039,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
"ACA Growing Pains" is a wonderful thread title.

It is on a par with saying that Hiroshima was unusually warm on August 6, 1945, or that Adolf Hitler needed some diversity training.
I just ruined a keyboard.

I told someone once that the Japanese didn't bomb Pearl Harbor...they were merely delivering iron, aluminum, copper, tin, wood and a pre-packaged mix of barium nitrate and 2-methyl-1,3,5- trinitrobenzene to the US fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Some very interesting thoughts the other day, but it's not a politically driven post more of "unintentional consequences" observation.

1). So you might be able to switch companies within the ACA, the competition aspect is not there which means monopoly, to some degree, which is not good.
Yes, it is good.

You are willing to allow hospitals to organize as monopolistic cartels which illegally collude to illegally fix the prices of healthcare services far above what the Market would bear --and then hide behind the banner of "not-profit", and to price-gouge you with stuff like $17 for two Tylenol tablets.

Your position is hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
2). He also mentioned that with all these people coming online, they are not adding new doctors. Some doctors are even pulling out of medical practices and doing concierge services. So in the end ACA was meant to help the people who couldn't see a doctor but now the lines will be long and appointments hard to come by which means more emergency room visits. Also, the wealthy will still be getting better care. Instead of waiting in lines, they will have concierge service of doctors.
Why is that newsworthy?

I told you all that in 2010. Your Medicare Trustees damn-near quoted me in their 2011 Report. For those who didn't hear them the first time, they said it again in 2012. You can read it here....

The Trustees believe that this outcome, while plausible, will depend on the achievement of unprecedented improvements in health care provider productivity. If the health sector could not transition to more efficient models of care delivery and achieve productivity increases commensurate with economy-wide productivity, and if the provider reimbursement rates paid by commercial insurers continued to follow the same negotiated process used to date, then the availability and quality of health care received by Medicare beneficiaries relative to that received by those with private health insurance would fall over time, generating pressure to modify Medicare’s payment rates.

Source: 2012 ANNUAL REPORT OF THE BOARDS OF TRUSTEES OF THE FEDERAL HOSPITAL INSURANCE AND FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTARY MEDICAL INSURANCE TRUST FUNDS, Page 3

So...you all can look forward to that.

It's a good thing everyone thought this over and debated it rationally....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,250,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I told you all that in 2010. Your Medicare Trustees damn-near quoted me in their 2011 Report. For those who didn't hear them the first time, they said it again in 2012. You can read it here....

The Trustees believe that this outcome, while plausible, will depend on the achievement of unprecedented improvements in health care provider productivity. If the health sector could not transition to more efficient models of care delivery and achieve productivity increases commensurate with economy-wide productivity, and if the provider reimbursement rates paid by commercial insurers continued to follow the same negotiated process used to date, then the availability and quality of health care received by Medicare beneficiaries relative to that received by those with private health insurance would fall over time, generating pressure to modify Medicare’s payment rates.
Key words in the above are "unprecedented improvements...provider productivity" - which really means very unlikely.

And "provider reimbursement rates......same negotiated process" - which really means if you aren't in the club, you don't play.

The Trustees are clearly masters of subtlety and euphemism.

Just freakin' hilarious.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
I think if I heard the president of US say repeatedly if I like my insurance I could keep it then I'd think that a reliable source clearly. I won't call people ignorant with president spreading false information from day one to when they find out from cancellation notice. from insurance.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,351,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think if I heard the president of US say repeatedly if I like my insurance I could keep it then I'd think that a reliable source clearly. I won't call people ignorant with president spreading false information from day one to when they find out from cancellation notice. from insurance.

If you would like to talk about Presidents foo pas, then perhaps we should talk about President George Walker Bush. He sure didn't lead us down the garden path !

Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,077,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
If you would like to talk about Presidents foo pas, then perhaps we should talk about President George Walker Bush. He sure didn't lead us down the garden path !

Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM

192 posts, read 855,558 times
God when are you libs gonna get over Bush?? He has been out of office for 5 plus years. He didn't push this major cluster on us Oliar and Piglosi did. Get your facts straight. Bush also did not step into my life in any form close to what this admin has and continues to do. I guess you all like being spied on, lied to and financially screwed so a few folks could have insurance, only liberal think would up end the entire system for a few. Oh at this point what difference does it make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM

24,624 posts, read 19,039,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Key words in the above are "unprecedented improvements...provider productivity" - which really means very unlikely.

And "provider reimbursement rates......same negotiated process" - which really means if you aren't in the club, you don't play.

The Trustees are clearly masters of subtlety and euphemism.

Just freakin' hilarious.
Yes, they are.

This "provider productivity" nonsense is not going to pan out, and everyone on Earth knows that, except Obamacare supporters.

I call it "tele-doctor."

That's what it is for the most part. This productivity increase is assumed to stem from technology like telecommunications and voice recognition software. They think talking to your doctor 15 minutes from your home over the internet is more productive than talking to your doctor face-to-face for 15 minutes.

Euphemistically....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance