Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times

Advertisements

I am turning 65 very soon and have to make that all-important Medicare supplement decision. Every time I start reading all the stuff I've received in the mail or things online, I get overwhelmed, and my stomach ends up in knots.

I am petrified of losing the very expensive insurance I have now and making a mistake in the choice I'm about to make. All I know for certain is that I do not want an Advantage plan. I wish I had started all this research earlier as I didn't know it would be that difficult to figure out. I need help!

I guess the good news is that the hospital system my doctors are a part of sent out a letter a while back, listing those Medicare plans they accept. That should help me weed out at least some of the many choices.

Anyone else have this type of anxiety, or am I just being a baby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
no you are not being a baby. It's a difficult and confusing decision. I would suggest finding a Medicare broker or maybe calling AARP and have someone help you with this process. You don't have to pay them so you might as well use one.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:22 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Use a broker.
I know now that I would have saved a bundle for a few years if I had sought out help from one and hadn't gone with just what looked 'safest' because the whole deal can be confusing and intimidating at first
If you want to feel more confident that she/he has given you the best option, you can always double check it yourself armed with the new knowledge gained from him

Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
My city's Leisure Learning Classes offers a class on Medicare Supplements. The instructor is an insurance agent and he had info on all the major Medicare insurance supplement companies. His class answered a lot of questions for me. Maybe your local Leisure Learning, or adult education equivalent, offers the same kind of classes.

Too, the Medicare internet site offers a pretty good explanation of each of the plans available (they're called A, B, C, etc. "F" is the most popular plan nationwide). The book that Medicare sends each member every year also has a description of each insurance company in each state and how each one is ranked by its subscribers.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Very difficult to choose. In my area they offered many seminars; I went to several.
Go online with your prescriptions, too and figure out which part D is best for you.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I was looking at a plan for a family friend last night and the stupid plan didn't even tell me what KIND of a plan it was..I looked for 20 minutes until I found out that it was a MAPD plan....not on her card, not in the name of the plan, nothing, and I understand how this stuff works. Find a broker!!

Old 11-29-2013, 01:15 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I am turning 65 very soon and have to make that all-important Medicare supplement decision. Every time I start reading all the stuff I've received in the mail or things online, I get overwhelmed, and my stomach ends up in knots.

I am petrified of losing the very expensive insurance I have now and making a mistake in the choice I'm about to make. All I know for certain is that I do not want an Advantage plan. I wish I had started all this research earlier as I didn't know it would be that difficult to figure out. I need help!

I guess the good news is that the hospital system my doctors are a part of sent out a letter a while back, listing those Medicare plans they accept. That should help me weed out at least some of the many choices.

Anyone else have this type of anxiety, or am I just being a baby?
Looking around, talking to any number of folks in the same boat, I don't know anyone who doesn't have that kind of anxiety. And for good reason, it is confusing, and so much rides on the decisions you make.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 PM

334 posts, read 716,440 times
OP,
Check out Medicare.gov: the official U.S. government site for Medicare Good resource. Also ehealthmedicare.com

I chose Plan N. for me here in Nazi Jerky. It is the best balance between premiums and coverage for my situation. Your situation might best be served by a different plan.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:37 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. All are very helpful, and I am feeling like less of an idiot for being so stressed out over this. I just don't want to make a costly mistake.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 AM

334 posts, read 716,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. All are very helpful, and I am feeling like less of an idiot for being so stressed out over this. I just don't want to make a costly mistake.
Just remember that in terms of medigap plans, all same lettered plans ( ie, A, F, N etc.), regardless of carrier, are exactly equal. For example, one carriers plan A pays exactly the same benefits as another carrier's A. The only difference is the premium you pay. You just need to be sure that your providers are Medicare providers. Most, but not all, are.
Don't feel like an idiot about this. It made me crazy, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance