Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:06 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is why they are giving discounts, not charging more--it's perfectly legal now and under the ACA because they have to complete some wellness activities to get the discount and for those that are overweight or have high BP or whatever, they can get the discount if they participate in online coaching, etc.

So if you are quoted $300, for example, you might get charged less later through discounts if you complete wellness stuff and don't smoke, etc? How do you find out about the discounts before you sign up? So some carriers offer better discounts than others...and do some carriers exclude discounts. IMO this is part of the overall monthly cost so it's good to know up front..especially if you plan to take advantage of the discounts.

I know how this works through employer plans. My questions are about plans purchases via healthcare exchange or directly from the carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
So if you are quoted $300, for example, you might get charged less later through discounts if you complete wellness stuff and don't smoke, etc? How do you find out about the discounts before you sign up? So some carriers offer better discounts than others...and do some carriers exclude discounts. IMO this is part of the overall monthly cost so it's good to know up front..especially if you plan to take advantage of the discounts.

I know how this works through employer plans. My questions are about plans purchases via healthcare exchange or directly from the carrier.
If you smoke, you will get one rate for an individual plan, if you don't smoke you get a lower rate. The wellness activities are through the companies (your employer) themselves and are not available to someone with an individual plan--except in some areas where they offer discounts if you go to the gym so many times/month.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:28 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If you signed up on the website or a website like Florida Blue - you were asked whether you smoked (unless the website was having a "bad hair day" that day). Note that this is the only medical info required. Robyn
I signed up on Covered California. I was not asked if I smoked or any health questions at all. Perhaps Florida has different requirements. Non of my friends/family were asked either.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I signed up on Covered California. I was not asked if I smoked or any health questions at all. Perhaps Florida has different requirements. Non of my friends/family were asked either.
Actually it's probably CA that has the different requirements--on the federal site and every other state site I've looked at they ask a tobacco user question.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually it's probably CA that has the different requirements--on the federal site and every other state site I've looked at they ask a tobacco user question.
You are correct. There is a handful of states such as California that considers smoking a preexisting condition along with drug addicts, alcoholics and the obese and are not penalizing.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Enforcement like stated is going to be very hard other than the refund withheld. Obama said that in healthcare debates with Hillary. There are a lot of college campuses which had college plans where students are signing so called pledges not to sign up. Kind of like trying to enforce burning draft card in the 60's really.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:41 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Enforcement like stated is going to be very hard other than the refund withheld. Obama said that in healthcare debates with Hillary. There are a lot of college campuses which had college plans where students are signing so called pledges not to sign up. Kind of like trying to enforce burning draft card in the 60's really.
it is always better to owe IRS at end of year than to always have a refund. my guess is, the "you owe" part will be what you owe from income + the ACA penalty. if you dont pay the total due you will have a balance and eventually penalties on the balance.

in reality, if Americans dont like ACA then they should simply balk on participating, surely except those who need health insurance via ACA (exchanges), etc.

crappy part is, even if ACA doesnt get funded by those who are supposed to participate, the rest of the taxpayers will foot the bill!!! its a lose-lose-lose situation for we Americans who prefer choice over govt mandates !

Old 12-15-2013, 01:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
Thanks for some more accurate info. I read each post with a neutral stance.

However, the last two posts (36 and 37) just about sum up the community on this website.

I do take offense Robyn from your statement...but I also appreciate the time you took to go through my profile and read other posts. To be bold enough and suggest that mutual funds, buying stocks, etc with what is a "small capital base" in your terms and claim it is nonsense seems a bit ill suggested. I have to start somewhere. There is nothing wrong with my decision to be investing my "small capital base" - and I will stand up for myself.

I do have a job, I have 2 jobs and my own business. I am doing what I want and happy with it. My cost of living is not more than my take home, that's all that I need to say when you think I find it amusing to be poor.

I live by an adage of a penny saved is a penny earned, and a dime invested is a dollar earned.

Leeervin, thanks for posting a positive note.
I appreciate that you (and other people) may take offense at some of the messages I write. So be it.

I commend your work/saving/spending ethic. But respectfully suggest that some of your endeavors may work out better if you don't spread yourself too thin. The old "jack of all trades - master of none" thing. OTOH - at your age - you probably have more energy than I do at my age. And perhaps a more flexible brain (I'm pretty good at what I do do - but it's harder for me to learn new things now than it was 20-30-40+ years ago). Anyway - good luck with your life ! Robyn

Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM

357 posts, read 444,333 times
Default No more free-loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
it is always better to owe IRS at end of year than to always have a refund. my guess is, the "you owe" part will be what you owe from income + the ACA penalty. if you dont pay the total due you will have a balance and eventually penalties on the balance.

in reality, if Americans dont like ACA then they should simply balk on participating, surely except those who need health insurance via ACA (exchanges), etc.

crappy part is, even if ACA doesnt get funded by those who are supposed to participate, the rest of the taxpayers will foot the bill!!! its a lose-lose-lose situation for we Americans who prefer choice over govt mandates !
The "rest of us" have been footing the bill for the uninsured for decades. I'm glad the ACA is finally forcing people to be responsible for their own health care. No more free-loading!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
The "rest of us" have been footing the bill for the uninsured for decades. I'm glad the ACA is finally forcing people to be responsible for their own health care. No more free-loading!
uhmmmmm, well, what makes you think these "free loaders" will pay anything that is owed to the provider, like deductibles, etc? what happens when they stop paying their monthly dues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance