Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 52,104 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 27 year old graduate student. I'm really not acquainted with the details of the affordable care act so if someone could enlighten me on some questions I have, that'd be appreciated.

Since I no longer qualify to be under my parents plan after 26, I have been purchasing health insurance for about $90 a month. My school requires us to have health insurance and I didn't enroll in the school's insurance because it was much more expensive.

Since I don't work and have no income, and am too old to be a dependent with my parents, do I qualify for a better premium rate under obamacare? Is there a category of no income/student of obamacare that would qualify me to pay little to nothing for health insurance? If anyone has any information please school me on this situation. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 01:36 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Because of the variables involved, you need to go to the ACA website and run thru the "estimate" process at https://www.healthcare.gov/find-premium-estimates/. You probably will qualify for Medicaid; or a "Catastrophic" plan, meant for people under 30. See https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-buy...strophic-plan/

Good luck, and bear in mind that ACA is new to everybody, and unfortunately no one knows all the in and outs, least of all the program itself.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:29 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
You will most likely qualify for Medicaid. However, keep in mind if you have a government school grant and that grant also provides living expenses, that money would be considered income. If that is the case, your income would still be quite low I imagine, so you would receive a very large subsidy under one of the ACA exchange plans. You would be able to purchase a policy for probably less than $90 (more like $30-$50) or receive Medicaid at no cost. What state do you reside in? Is it one of the states that raised the Medicaid limits?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:23 PM

14 posts, read 52,104 times
Thanks for the replies. I have student loans that cover my living and spending expenses so I'm not sure how that factors in. I currently reside in Illinois but my permanent residence is California.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:31 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Unless you earn more than X (don't know what the exact number is in California) - you're looking at MediCal (California equivalent of Medicaid - don't know the details). Assuming you plan to return to California to live (and will get your medical care there). If you''re planning to stay in Illinois and get your health care there - you're looking at Medicaid too (or whatever the state equivalent in Illinois might be).

Note that state qualifications for Medicaid vary a lot. You are perhaps not eligible in California and/or Illinois.

Your school insurance - even though more expensive - might perhaps be a more agreeable (or perhaps the only) alternative for you.

FWIW - there is no preferential treatment/category in terms of being a student to the best of my knowledge. If you're poor - you're poor - regardless of the reason - and just get treated like other poor people. Robyn

Old 12-15-2013, 05:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Just make sure you do not sign up for an HMO or you will not have coverage where you go to school. You need to have a PPO or take your school plan. You have about a week to get signed up if you want coverage starting January 1st.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
First I would check o school insurance because many are dropping such policies. I'd call to see personally has likely it needs to be local where you reside for school for best coverage.Most policies have travel. Not sure what others on parents policy do when they go to school outside the state.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
First I would check o school insurance because many are dropping such policies. I'd call to see personally has likely it needs to be local where you reside for school for best coverage.Most policies have travel. Not sure what others on parents policy do when they go to school outside the state.
Most policies have provisions for EMERGENCY care outside of their service area--heart attack, broken leg, that kind of thing, but if you get sick, say a sinus infection, you won't have coverage for that under an HMO.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
The problem tho is often they are emergency only not based on actually living out the area such as residing there.Even PPO's have the causes because it has to be a emergency outside the area you normally reside ;not normal medical visits and elective procedures as they are called. health insurance covers much more than emergency after all. He need to get clearification beyond emergency needs.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The problem tho is often they are emergency only not based on actually living out the area such as residing there.Even PPO's have the causes because it has to be a emergency outside the area you normally reside ;not normal medical visits and elective procedures as they are called. health insurance covers much more than emergency after all. He need to get clearification beyond emergency needs.
Most PPO's have some kind of a national network to use, not so much with Medicare but with traditional health insurance plans they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance