Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why don't those who smoke pay higher insurance costs? Are you kidding? Have your head examined. Smoking, being fat, using drugs and so on have absolutely nothing to do with the choices people make in their personal lives, they are all diseases about which they can nothing. For crying out loud, making anyone pay for their smoking choices is like saying they are responsible for buying the cigarettes and everyone knows that isn't true, people are forced to buy cigarettes just like they are forced to eat too much.

When will everyone finally figure it out? This country had to come up with Obama care just to address the high health care costs, partly resulting from diseases like smoking which can strike an individual at any time. Even you can be a victim of the cigarette ads even while minding your own business.
What? Are you serious or is this a tongue-in-cheek post?

Addiction might be a "disease" but it is also a CHOICE. The only cure for addiction is for the user to make the CHOICE not to use any more. That is the one and only "cure."

Period and amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Yup. And I have quit smoking since. And my BMI is about 20.

One of my best friends has a BMI of over 60 and diabetic. She is almost blind now. She can't drive any more. She can barely walk. Her kidneys are on the verge of failure. She's had cardiac procedures. She is on disability, uses one of those fat people carts in stores, and basically cannot function much. Once she is sitting down, she needs help getting up. It's awful. I've watched her go downhill, and she is only two years older than me.

Thirteen years ago she could work, go for walks, drive, see, etc. It's all because of a lifetime of overeating (she'd tell you - she's addicted to food. She is obsessed with food, and eating, and the cooking channel.) It's a terrible addiction.
But she won't have to pay more than an over 60 smoker that has nothing wrong with them.
Makes sense, doesn't it.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why don't those who smoke pay higher insurance costs? Are you kidding? Have your head examined. Smoking, being fat, using drugs and so on have absolutely nothing to do with the choices people make in their personal lives, they are all diseases about which they can nothing. For crying out loud, making anyone pay for their smoking choices is like saying they are responsible for buying the cigarettes and everyone knows that isn't true, people are forced to buy cigarettes just like they are forced to eat too much.

When will everyone finally figure it out? This country had to come up with Obama care just to address the high health care costs, partly resulting from diseases like smoking which can strike an individual at any time. Even you can be a victim of the cigarette ads even while minding your own business.
LOL this post made my jaw drop....foolish....stupid....ignorant? Im not sure!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
LOL this post made my jaw drop....foolish....stupid....ignorant? Im not sure!
I think (hope) that his remarks were sarcastic in nature.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Now about pot smokers they should also pay more and people with OD history.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Oh fercrissake! Why shouldn't everybody with less than ideal habits pay more?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:27 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

Is there enough solid evidence out there supporting that pot is actually harmful to one's health? It's not the same as cigarettes. Cigarettes are far worse for one's health.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Is there enough solid evidence out there supporting that pot is actually harmful to one's health?...
I think is is safe to say "yes." Perhaps not quite as harmful as some other substances, but I think cannabis use can make one's healthcare more expensive in the long run.

At the moment, I am not aware of any insurance company that raises premiums for any unhealthy habits, except tobacco use. Someone who smokes regularly might be healthier than a 400 non-smoking diabetic who abuses every street drug known to man, but the smoker will be the one who has to pay the higher premium.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,618 times
Smokers should pay more. So should obese people.

Smoking and obesity are both avoidable for the most part. It's a choice to smoke and usually a choice to be fat (90 + % of the time) therefore you should pay more if you are obese and/or smoke.

I say this as a long time smoker. I've struggled for years with smoking and am trying to quit yet again.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,972 times
The title says:

"Why don't smokers pay more for health insurance?"

Why not have these people pay more for health insurance also?

People who breath second hand smoke, drink alcohol, or are over weight,
those who don't eat organic, drive cars to fast, those who have over 1 1/2 children,
people who have sexual diseases, women who have children out of wedlock,
or those who abort a baby, what ever else causes the insurance companies money.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance