U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2013, 01:44 PM

6,240 posts, read 4,650,690 times
Default What is the worst that can happen if I don't pay my health insurance bill?

I have a fairly expensive health insurance plan with Anthem Blue Cross. They said they will no longer offer my insurance plan starting in January 2014. I'm a bit annoyed with them to say the least because I saw a doctor only once in the past two years. I feel like there is no point paying for the month of December since I know they are dropping my insurance plan anyways in a couple weeks.

Will it hurt my credit score?

Their policy with non-payment is you have 30 days to pay or you will be dropped from your plan. This isn't so much about the money, it's more about the principle. Why pay for this month if they are going to drop me in 11 days anyways.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:50 PM

17,452 posts, read 16,560,307 times
I would go on and pay it. I suppose if you owe it and don't pay it, they will probably send you to collections and it may hurt your credit report.

Just because you haven't used it doesn't mean it wasn't there for you to use.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I would go on and pay it. I suppose if you owe it and don't pay it, they will probably send you to collections and it may hurt your credit report.

Just because you haven't used it doesn't mean it wasn't there for you to use.
Yeah, you are probably right. I'm current with my payments, but I feel like the system is so flawed. What sense of security is health insurance if it can be cancelled for no reason? Our healthcare system (IMO) is the most flawed out of practically all modern countries. My parents were paying over $22k per year and then their health insurance company decided they no longer want to service that state. Luckily, they only had to go a year without insurance before medicare kicked in for them.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:33 PM

425 posts, read 316,337 times
Doubt they would ever come after you, just probably keep sending bills and collection notices, but it WILL DEFINITELY hurt your credit score. Just pay it.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:50 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,557,682 times
Here's another thing to think about. For years I just went to the doctor for the usual things. Then when I had to buy my own insurance, which was really expensive and had a high deductible, it really ticked me off. Yeah, I was really ticked off for the first three months I had to pay it. But in month four I developed severe pain in my abdomen. Long story short - one emergency room visit, two major surgeries, three minor surgeries and $90,000 in hospital and doctor bills later, I was happy to pay that premium.

That's the worst thing that could happen.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM

I just paid it... I called them... was on hold for 30 minutes and finally got someone. They said they need to transfer me, waited another 15 minutes. When they answered, they said I need to speak with membership services (the first number I called). I told her and then she said, I'm sorry they did that, she took all my information down and transferred me to don't know who, but after 15 minutes of waiting the guy who answered had such a thick accent, I couldn't understand him and hung up.

My gripe with our healthcare system isn't the price of it because I think insurance premiums are somewhat reasonable. My problem is being at the mercy of a company and their ability to just say, oh we are no longer going to offer your plan, so you need to get new insurance. My parents had pre-existing conditions, so they weren't able to find another insurance plan.

Ugh, I guess this is more of a rant now lol. I'm just letting out steam. I paid the final invoice and now going singing up through Obamacare now.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:06 PM

8,912 posts, read 4,469,456 times
I don't think anything will happen except you won't have health insurance. Under new laws I believe if you do not have health insurance next year at tax time they will fine you 1% of your income.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think anything will happen except you won't have health insurance. Under new laws I believe if you do not have health insurance next year at tax time they will fine you 1% of your income.
Yeah, I already paid for a new health insurance plan with Kaiser. After a couple of hours of being transferred back and forth with Anthem, I finally was able to talk to a person that could look into my account. They automatically enrolled me into another plan that was more expensive, an EPO (previously was a PPO), with a $6,500 deductible (previously $1,500), with 20% coinsurance after deductible (same), however there was is no out of network service whatsoever (previously was 40%)... I said good bye to them and canceled my plan. I used to think highly of Anthem, but trying to get someone on the phone who could view my account was a nightmare. They must have switched things around because when I signed up a couple years ago, it was much better/easier to talk to someone.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 PM

5,474 posts, read 9,919,411 times
They will cancel the policy retroactive to the payment date that is missed. I don't know if that would end up in your credit report.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 PM

41,241 posts, read 43,989,368 times
No insurance as long as your not owing and normally it monthly in advance; it will just be cancelled. Might now ever look at if your policy you liked is cancel latest news as its sad id you likely to be offer to keep it even if doesn't meet mandates. Actual bills to that effect also coming to congress form what I have read.if tu rue might really be hard for anyone I congress to vote no and expect to be reelected in many states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance