Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right place to put this. Do the health insurance companies not listing on the Obamacare website still have to follow the same rules?

Like do they still have to break up their plans into metallic levels, offer a certain minimum benefits, and not reject people for pre-existing conditions? How will listing on the website and not listing on the website affect their prices?

I hope I get enough responses soon. I need to make a biggy decision by the Jan 31. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
It looks like your question is answered here on the ACA website:

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-i...he-marketplace

where it says:
Can I get coverage outside the Marketplace?

You can choose to buy individual insurance outside the Marketplace—directly from an insurance company or with the help of an agent or broker. But you won't have access to lower costs on your monthly premiums or out-of-pocket costs outside the Marketplace.
Note: Not all plans you buy outside the Marketplace meet the health care law's requirements for minimum essential coverage. That means if you buy one of these plans you could still wind up having to pay the fee that people without insurance coverage may face for 2014 and beyond. Insurance plans must tell you whether they provide minimum essential coverage.
All Marketplace plans offer minimum essential coverage.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:49 AM

Oh great. Does it look like there is a lot of people still buying outside the marketplace? I enrolled on the NY state of health not too long ago. And it actually lists the number of enrolled. That number is not even close to the number of adults in this state by a long shot.

Also what happens when you dont enroll by the deadline of January 31 2014?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
The health exchanges are just a place to shop for polices. There is no such thing as an "ACA plan". Yes, all plans in the US have to meet ACA regulations. There are some grandfathered plans that are still outside of the ACA but that all changes next year. The only thing the exchanges do is give you a place to shop all of the carriers in your area on one website.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The health exchanges are just a place to shop for polices. There is no such thing as an "ACA plan". Yes, all plans in the US have to meet ACA regulations. There are some grandfathered plans that are still outside of the ACA but that all changes next year. The only thing the exchanges do is give you a place to shop all of the carriers in your area on one website.
But apparently some insurance companies have decided not to list on the exchange. Does the health exchanges set a maximum price for each metallic levels?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM

805 posts, read 1,871,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But apparently some insurance companies have decided not to list on the exchange.
Have you got a specific example?

I think some insurance companies only offer group plans and at the moment the exchanges offer just family or individual plans. Do you mean that or something else?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Have you got a specific example?

I think some insurance companies only offer group plans and at the moment the exchanges offer just family or individual plans. Do you mean that or something else?
Aetna is not on the NY exchange. The NY exchange has small business.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
But apparently some insurance companies have decided not to list on the exchange. Does the health exchanges set a maximum price for each metallic levels?
No, the exchanges are just like shopping malls for health insurance policies, nothing more. If you want to buy a pair of jeans you can wander around the mall looking for the best fit for the best price, that is what the exchanges are, the best fit for the best price across the various companies that offer individual plans in your area.

Prices are set mostly by the company offering the plan but those rates have to be filed and approved by the state insurance commissioner too. If you look at the various plans you will see a wide range in prices even for plans that have similar out of pocket costs. Not all companies were approved to list on the exchange and yes, some companies choose not to offer exchange plans. That is neither hear nor there really.

The ACA is simply legislation that mandates insurance policies across the board have base standards of coverage along with the various rules for having insurance for both individuals and companies. You see similar mandates with home and auto insurance, base coverage all policies must offer, then the various insurance companies add to those policies to meet their markets or whatever. Some states also have mandates added to base policies. In our state, for example, for health insurance, plans written in our state have had to cover preventive care at 100% for several years, but that is not the case for all states until the ACA changes.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
The exchanges are the only place to shop if your qualified to be subsidized.If not then you can buy same plans from broker. 9 million have gotten thru exchanges .6 million Medicaid and 3 million exchange policies I saw yesterday.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The exchanges are the only place to shop if your qualified to be subsidized.If not then you can buy same plans from broker. 9 million have gotten thru exchanges .6 million Medicaid and 3 million exchange policies I saw yesterday.
You don't have to qualify for a subsidy to shop on the exchange. It's still a nice place to compare plans across companies(when the websites work)...then when you pick one, go to that company website and sign up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance