U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,613,364 times

Advertisements

Last year, I had a horrible debilitating illness. When I fell ill, the receptionist at the hospital went back to the ER, where I was in a bed, to get more info for the intake form since I couldn't open my eyes to read or write. Before she went back to the front desk, she mentioned filing for disability. Disability?! I was shocked, in addition to what had already happened to me. I had no idea at the time that my condition was that serious. Well, turned out it was and as I said quite debilitating. Also, it made it incredibly hard for me to cope emotionally. Everything was so overwhelming. My condition as well as life, including all that tedious paperwork. A little more background: I haven't held a steady job since 2007, and so I've considered myself retired in all these years, sick or not. But this disability application looked more like a job application than a job application! I was not at all prepared for that, and the reason for my denial that was given was that (according to them!) my condition would not have prevented me from doing the work that I had listed in my experience for the past several years. (which was desk jockey office work...they ask all this stuff about how much weight was lifted per day on average, how much time spent walking, etc.......I guess if that's the criteria, I would've been granted the benefit if my past work was more physical) WTF! I wasn't LOOKING for work! I wasn't filing for unemployment. I've been retired and was trying to only file for disability checks. Is this really supposed to be granted only to people still in the workforce or looking for work, or can retirees apply for and be granted disability checks?? I couldn't do much of anything last year, much less hold a job, and especially get to the workplace!

And to think of all those who get disability for frivolous things while others who really have some disability just cannot get it. But that's another thread, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 AM

15,913 posts, read 16,217,681 times
If you have already retired there are no earnings to replace. How old are you?
Assuming you're not actual 'retirement' age.........
The point of being compensated for a disability is to help replace the money you can no longer earn by working.
The application has to include many questions to cover all kinds of jobs to see whether or not you could do any of them.
The decision, at this point, is obviously that you could do the desk job you last held.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 49,646,016 times
I'm assuming you mean Social Security Disability Income because if you didn't have a job obviously you didn't have an employer sponsored policy. SSDI is difficult to qualify for and if they see that you can do any job, you aren't going to get SSDI. Also, if you have no income to replace, they aren't going to give you a paycheck, which is what disability pay is for.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,613,364 times
Ah, thank you both for the explanations. Yes, I'm under the traditional retirement age. And now that I remember it, I was advised to also apply for some type of supplemental thing, which would've been harder to qualify for and so of course, I was promptly denied, due to stock holdings value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance