Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 PM

195 posts, read 214,616 times

Advertisements

Hey folks. I am soon to get a new job, and I really need some health insurance. I am 25 years old as well (just thought I would mention that). Anway, I have been without health insurance for about 7 years now, and I have racked up quite a few health problems, and am wondering what would be the best type of health insurance for me.

First off, I have some mental health problems. I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and that really bothers me: it gives me panic attacks and always makes me feel like I am in danger. Next, the last shrink that I went to seemed to think that I could have some OCD as well because I tend to be obsessive about things as well.

Next, I have a multitude of stomach problems that make my life miserable: I have a problem when I run and exercise hard. When I exercise hard I gag uncontrollably even with the smallest amount of exercise. This is a problem because it keeps me from getting in shape. I have tried everything to fix it including taking acid reflux pills, taking the workouts slower, and drinking plenty of water, and nothing has worked. This used to never happen to me in the past but now it does. Also, I tend to just throw up randomly at random times as well.

Then, I believe that I have hypoglycemia and many times I just feel like I am going to pass out for no reason. I don't even drive anymore because of this and my dad drives me everywhere because sometimes I just feel like I'm gonna pass out. This is serious, and I really need to get this fixed.

Finally, I was an idiot and did these penis exercises last year and they damaged my penis. (this is not a joke) I did them and I was completely impotent for a while, but now my penis is about 90% better. However, I have lost a small amount of sensitivity in the shaft. The main problem though, is sometimes my prostate just hurts very badly for some reason or another.

The bottom line is I need to know how good of insurance that I need to buy, and what I should be asking for. I don't want to be stuck just seeing one doctor either. I want to be able to pick through a list of providers. Now please give me advice. Also, I am working 40 hours a week so I don't think I'm eligable for Obamacar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Your hours worked doesn't matter, your eligibility is based on if you have employer provided coverage or not. Will you be offered a plan at work?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Your hours worked doesn't matter, your eligibility is based on if you have employer provided coverage or not. Will you be offered a plan at work?
Yes, they will but I'm not sure if the plan is that good or if it covers that much. I really wish I could just get short-term insurance because I don't want to pay sky-high premiums for the whole year, just until I can get my medical problems solved.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Yes, they will but I'm not sure if the plan is that good or if it covers that much. I really wish I could just get short-term insurance because I don't want to pay sky-high premiums for the whole year, just until I can get my medical problems solved.
That is really not very smart thinking....

Your employer plan will likely be as good or better then what you can get on an exchange, and probably cost you a heck of a lot less as they have to subsidize at least 1/2 of the premium cost. You aren't eligible for an exchange plan if your employer offers a plan and your premiums are within range of the 400% target.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is really not very smart thinking....

Your employer plan will likely be as good or better then what you can get on an exchange, and probably cost you a heck of a lot less as they have to subsidize at least 1/2 of the premium cost. You aren't eligible for an exchange plan if your employer offers a plan and your premiums are within range of the 400% target.
Ok well let's say that I get it form my employer. How good of plan should I get? I mean I don't want to get the very best plan and have to pay that price for an entire year that I am locked into the contract, if my problem only takes 4 months to solve. Should I just get the second best plan then? What should I do?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Ok well let's say that I get it form my employer. How good of plan should I get? I mean I don't want to get the very best plan and have to pay that price for an entire year that I am locked into the contract, if my problem only takes 4 months to solve. Should I just get the second best plan then? What should I do?
Without seeing the details of the plan it's impossible to answer that question. Your HR people or the insurance company can walk you through your likely costs/premiums and help you decide. Many insurance companies have an online tool that will compare your plans/costs as well.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
I doubt whatever plans your company offers vary that much one from another, also you now have to have health insurance by law, so being locked into a years contract means nothing you have to have insurance all the time now for the time you THINK it will take to fix your problems, also some of the things you mention are ongoing and not going to be solved in 4 months or 40 months.
If you don't have insurance you are going to be charged a penalty of 1% of your total income this year and more later as long as you don't have insurance, so I would bite the bullet, select a plan through work and just live with it.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
If there is much in the way of "choice" in plans through your work place. Obviously choosing a plan with the lowest deductible and out of pocket costs would be the first avenue to look at now. If later down the road your health issues improve, you may be able to scale back. But until you get properly diagnosed and treated I would advise getting a plan that covers the most, as if you have any kind of serious issues, higher deductible plans may cost you much more in the long term until you are at least stabilized.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Yeah, short-changing oneself on health insurance is a false economy in OP's case. Multiple issues, some of which will not be resolved quickly. Acid-reflux is generally chronic for those who have it. No doubt, there are other things going on, as well. This OP needs health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance