Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 PM

9,814 posts, read 7,666,487 times

Advertisements

I was just on ehealthinsurance.com to print out health plan prices for our family, and they are saying that open enrollment ends March 31st.

After March 31, you cannot purchase a health insurance plan unless you have a qualifying life event, such as getting married or divorced, having or adopting a child, or moving to a new coverage area.

I thought that the open enrollment period was only for plans on the government "Marketplace."

Is this part of the PPACA rules - that no one can buy health insurance without a life changing event outside the open enrollment period?

I know employer plans have had this requirement, but I don't ever remember seeing this for individual or family plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 05:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,218,840 times
Yes, it's been that way since day one. It's for all individual plans (and small businesses that are buying through the exchange).

It's to prevent people from buying a plan only when they "need" it...

Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, it's been that way since day one. It's for all individual plans (and small businesses that are buying through the exchange).

It's to prevent people from buying a plan only when they "need" it...
I saw this on ehealthinsurance.com for non-exchange plans though.

I thought off-exchange plans would still be available throughout the year, like they were in the past.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I saw this on ehealthinsurance.com for non-exchange plans though.

I thought off-exchange plans would still be available throughout the year, like they were in the past.
No, that was changed with the ACA and depending on where you live, individual plans were not always available any time.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, that was changed with the ACA and depending on where you live, individual plans were not always available any time.
Thanks, that is a big change in the law that I hadn't seen before.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:41 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,393,823 times
So, this is wrong, apparently:
Quote:
If you miss open enrollment you won't be able to enroll in a marketplace plan again until November 15th, 2014 (open enrollment for 2015) unless you qualify for a special enrollment period.

Please note you can buy insurance outside of the marketplace at anytime or sign up for CHIP and Medicaid up to two months retroactively at anytime if you qualify.

Medicare and employer based insurance both have their own special enrollment periods as well.

Please note that even though you can obtain insurance outside of open enrollment it does not prevent you for owing the fee for months you don't have insurance.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
So, this is wrong, apparently:
hummm...I think we will see how this actually plays out---what will end up happening is that say you need to go to the doctor--sign up for a plan for a month, drop the plan the next month...then in 2 more months you need surgery, sign up for a month, have surgery, drop the plan...can't see this happening like it's listed there....

also--from that site "ObamaCareFacts.com is privately owned and is not owned or operated by the US federal or state government" this is not an official government site...

Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 PM

7,914 posts, read 9,125,482 times
A company termination of your current grandfathered plan during the calendar year is considered an event that will put you in a special enrollment category. Also many of grandfathered plans that renew midyear are changing to terminatr at the end of the year to coinside with the enrollment period.
Check with your insurer/broker.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 PM

15 posts, read 58,120 times
What happens if you lose your job, and are seeking a new one? Current company medical runs out March 31st?

Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,393,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
What happens if you lose your job, and are seeking a new one? Current company medical runs out March 31st?
You have a qualifying life event which allows you to enroll for subsidized insurance after ACA Open Enrollment Period ends.

Explore ACA options for you first - either through your state's market place or, if your state is not running an exchange, through healthcare.gov.

Other alternative is to continue your company's health insurance under COBRA. COBRA is usually VERY expensive, but might be a short-term option until ACA insurance becomes effective May 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance