Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,926 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know (and hate!) that the Medicare ID card shows the person's Social Security number, and therefore have a question:

If someone is getting SS benefits as a survivor (widow's benefits) rather than under their own personal SS#, what number does their Medicare ID card show?

Does it show the deceased spouse's SS#? or does it show the SS# of the person who is actually insured under Medicare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I remember this coming up before and I believe if you are collecting any benefit under a spouses account that the spouses SS # is on the medicare card. BUT I am not 100 percent sure. I imagine you can go to the Medicare government site and find the correct answer though.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,926 times
I actually did look there but couldn't find it.

It does seem logical that it would be the deceased spouse's number though, because Medicare is tied to SS so closely.

Cool. :-) I'm currently claiming (paltry but necessary) reduced early SS under my own number but next year I will be able to claim full benefits under my late spouse's number. Having been a victim of identity theft in the past, I am totally paranoid about giving out my SS# to any medical provider; I may end up getting a MA plan at first just to avoid that scenario, if all other things turn out essentially equal, and switching to Medicare + a Medigap after I switch SS accounts. A big factor will be the premium cost, because my current benefit is less than half what the survivor's benefit will be.

As I understand it, if I go with a MA plan initially I will have a 12-month "trial period" during which I could switch to Medicare/Medigap at any time if I want to.

The standalone Part D plans don't use your SS# as their plan-card ID numbers, do they? Only Medicare itself does that, correct?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Okay, I know (and hate!) that the Medicare ID card shows the person's Social Security number, and therefore have a question:

If someone is getting SS benefits as a survivor (widow's benefits) rather than under their own personal SS#, what number does their Medicare ID card show?

Does it show the deceased spouse's SS#? or does it show the SS# of the person who is actually insured under Medicare?
Yes, it shows the spouse's #. I am in that situation. My Medicare card has my wife's SS #.

If you get a Part C MA plan, it's card will most likely NOT have the Medicare/SS number. I've had 3 different MA plans now and none showed the SS acct #.

I will be changing from Survivors to my own Retirement SS benefit later this year. I'm guessing that the Medicare card # will stay the same as before.

I suspect your Medicare card # will be your own, even after switching accounts, as you are already claiming benefits under your own account. I was not.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
My late Mom's Medicare card was under my Father's social Security number with a letter added to the end of the number which indicated it was her husband's number.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Yes, it's under the spouses, with a "D" at the end to indicate "Dependent", rather than an "A".

Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Another side effect of claiming SS benefits on a spouse's record is it may change which Wednesday of the month that benefits are paid. They use the spouse's birthday, not yours, according to the chart found on this SSA webpage.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031-2014.pdf

In my case, payment is posted on the 3rd Wed, not the 4th Wed (Hers is 16th vs mine on 26th)

Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
As I recall the assigned number is the person who had SS account with a D at end. Been some years since mother in law or mother was on it but that is what I remember.Remember that if you didn't work that person with account paid the medicare tax after all on their pay checks.

Last edited by texdav; 04-30-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 04:27 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Just went through this scenario and my wife got her new card with my Social Security number and the -B at the end. Do we have to inform the Medigap insurance and Part D drug insurance people that she has a new claim number? How does that work?

Old 12-07-2015, 06:19 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Just went through this scenario and my wife got her new card with my Social Security number and the -B at the end. Do we have to inform the Medigap insurance and Part D drug insurance people that she has a new claim number? How does that work?
You call their 800 numbers and tell them to change their records. If they need anything in writing, they'll let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance