Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The
Yes, the ACA requires the insurance company to pay for a colonoscopy screening, but this was not a screening, it was for a diagnostic procedure.
It was coded as screening. Don't create data that does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
It was coded as screening. Don't create data that does not exist.
Then someone doesn't know the law. This is just not making any sense. I could possibly believe a doctor could be so misinformed (a stretch), but certainly the insurance companies know this. (unless they are trying to circumvent it in hopes of the patient being ignorant of it)

Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Then someone doesn't know the law. This is just not making any sense. I could possibly believe a doctor could be so misinformed (a stretch), but certainly the insurance companies know this. (unless they are trying to circumvent it in hopes of the patient being ignorant of it)
I do feel sorry for people like this because its clear the system is not designed to help them through confusing issues. In addition, they are stuck between their financial responsibility to the provider yet have no abiity to suspend payment until it's resolved. These are actually very easy problems to solve but require a specific course of action based on the actual factual circumstances, But in this case, I thnk the patient is the problem and created the problems they are experiencing.

Thank you for posting that because I'm giving up on this person as they have no idea what the heck they are talking about.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I do feel sorry for people like this because its clear the system is not designed to help them through confusing issues. In addition, they are stuck between their financial responsibility to the provider yet have no abiity to suspend payment until it's resolved. These are actually very easy problems to solve but require a specific course of action based on the actual factual circumstances, But in this case, I thnk the patient is the problem and created the problems they are experiencing.

Thank you for posting that because I'm giving up on this person as they have no idea what the heck they are talking about.
You may give up or you may not to, it doesn't matter because you didn't say a single valuable word, posting instead very detailed questions without clearly saying what you need answers for (I spent quite some time giving you answers, getting nothing in return); confusing others with uneducated guesses, then you didn't comment on the contradictions within your posts, and now you just poured a new portion of totally meaningless words.
Thanks for visiting.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:33 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
YOU first said the colonoscopy was coded as "diagnostic"; now you just wrote it was coded as "screening". Which was it? No one lured you into anything - you were presented with a recommended test specific to your age group and prior discovery of polyps. Colonoscopy is repeated every 5 years in that situation (particularly if there is a family history). You could have refused the test.
What is your complaint to the BBB? I don't see that you were wronged in any way...

Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Your first post on minor problems and not specific problem related to the test says it was screening. If they had found something early you would not be here and paid pay for the screening.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
YOU first said the colonoscopy was coded as "diagnostic";...
Where exactly did I say this?

Old 07-04-2014, 03:38 PM

OK, thanks for help everybody, the insurance company paid the bill IN FULL after 1) my appeal (taken, thank them, over the phone) 2) Complaint filed with the state's insurance oversight agency. The clinic did nothing, but ultimately received its money. I worked on it, not clinic's staff even though they build staff's salary into their fees. I feel satisfied with the outcome but still extremely angry at the clinic's billing staff for their unprofessionalism that resulted in a lot of frustration and about 15 hours of work spent on their behalf. Complaint filed with BBB was helpful with halting clinic's demands of immediate payment, but ultimately it was pressure on the insurance company that worked. And maybe, they just needed my previous colono info that wasn't provided by the clinic.

Advice to patients like me: don't give up. Both billing staff and insurance staff can be very unprofessional on the lower levels (one time, my daughter's bone grafting surgery was named a "preventive measure" by some stupid reviewer from the insurance company). Go to the upper level appeals, if you feel you are right. Don't be lazy, read your policies, dig into coding, if the amounts at stake are big. I'm still dealing with dental-versus-medical claims from September 2013, and money are slowly coming back to the family. It takes time and effort, but I rather would claim what I feel I'm entitled to, than meekly spend time working extra hours to compensate the losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance