U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 PM

243 posts, read 534,181 times

Advertisements

My husband changed his job in March. Our health benefits at the new company start only end of June. We have a period of almost 3 months when we are not covered by insurance. We are a family of four with two young children. The cobra continuation coverage premiums are as usual high. My children and I will out of the country most of June.

Is it necessary for us to take cobra ( we have a few more days to decide). The new company benefits do not care if we have a gap in coverage or not. They (and their health care providers) also say they don't care about pre existing conditions. Their benefits will start end of June and they don't need any other conditions to be met.

I am not sure as far as the ACA is concerned. Does the affordable care act stipulate that we should not have a gap in coverage? Will there be a tax penalty because of this? Or will this be excused as we are going from one coverage to another albeit with a gap?

We tried getting some other private insurance but with my husband and I and my children being in different states for now and we visiting from one state to another frequently, we did not find any insurance that met our needs satisfactorily.

Do we need to bite the bullet and take cobra or is a gap ok? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 05:03 PM

20,834 posts, read 41,536,073 times
You're right on the cusp at three months. You are allowed to be without coverage for less than three months without a penalty.

That said, the penalty is prorated for those three months - it isn't going to amount to a lot of dollars - prorated at either 25% (3mos) of 1% of your 2014 income, or $71.25 (($95 x 2 = $190) + ($47.50 x 2 = $95) = $285 x 25%), whichever is less - explained, here:

Quote:
  • $95 per person for the year ($47.50 per child under 18). The maximum penalty per family using this method is $285.
If you’re uninsured for just part of the year, 1/12 of the yearly penalty applies to each month you’re uninsured. If you’re uninsured for less than 3 months, you don’t have to make a payment.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-i...alth-coverage/
Assuming your children are under 18, your fine/tax/penalty for those three months is $71.25.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 PM

243 posts, read 534,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You're right on the cusp at three months. You are allowed to be without coverage for less than three months without a penalty.

That said, the penalty is prorated for those three months - it isn't going to amount to a lot of dollars - prorated at either 25% (3mos) of 1% of your 2014 income, or $71.25 (($95 x 2 = $190) + ($47.50 x 2 = $95) = $285 x 25%), whichever is less - explained, here:

Assuming your children are under 18, your fine/tax/penalty for those three months is $71.25.
Thank you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance