Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
keep in mind that patients don't give a rat's ass* about who when and where. They want to survive and be well. That is the true shame of the ACA that it really does not touch on the education of patients pre hospitalization.
Give the ACA some time for its practices to be implemented. One of its premises was PREVENTIVE care. Preventive Care | HHS.gov/healthcare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Thanks for the link.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:02 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Quote:
Actually it's just another welfare program for the people who did not earn a lot, work a lot or work at all paid for by the people who worked hard. In addition those companies who actually have very good plans now must pay millions to the government to keep those good plans. This had nothing to do with health care. This was a payer shift from gov't and insurance to the private person and their employers who are doing well.
My employer passed the cost on to the employees by changing their health plans to high deductible ones.

Before ACA my deductible was 2K. Now it's 6K.

I pray I don't get sick. If I do, I will suffer without medical care because I can't afford to pay the deductible.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:27 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My employer passed the cost on to the employees by changing their health plans to high deductible ones.

Before ACA my deductible was 2K. Now it's 6K.

I pray I don't get sick. If I do, I will suffer without medical care because I can't afford to pay the deductible.
There's always the possibility that you are going to get sick or injured. But if you avail yourself of all the free preventative care under ACA the odds of large medical bills will be reduced. Find a good family care doctor that you are comfortable with and see them at least once a year for a wellness check...free! Then be sure you are up to date on vaccinations and any age-related screenings.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Prior to the ACA catastrophic plans had 5k deductibles and large co pays but they were cheap. Sadly this will encourage people to avoid care until they are truly ill. Not many can get hit with a 2k ER bill.

Has POTUS ever really led us anywhere helpful?

A flawed attempt albeit with some benefits for chronically ill adults and kids.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Obama signed the bill but Congress--the Senate and House of Representatives--wrote the provisions of the laws with heavy lobbying from various insurance and other special interests...

Old 09-07-2014, 06:00 PM

He could have vetoed it or told them to try again. He is the frickin' leader and I for one wish he would FRICKIN LEAD!

Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Quote:
I think that the language we choose is central to making a cogent point. Redistributive means taking money from those who were successful and giving it to people who were not. So it is a social welfare program and while in it's infancy it has done little to solve the actual health of people as many civilized countries do by placing doctors and nurses in neighborhoods. This was simply a cost savings program for gov't and the insurance companies and called health care. Teaching health is now a side effect of the economic burden. It's kinda like being required to give a dollar to the person on the street corner who never really wanted to work. Major employers who now cover their employees are paying millions to the government to maintain adequate plans. By any stretch this is just taking from one to pay another. Redistributive? Where I was raised we call it simple theft.
Interesting point about placing doctors and nurses in neighborhoods. So far, this is failing, as predicted by many. Newly insured medicaid patients have tripled in states where it was expanded and guess where the patients are going for treatment? The ER, of course, the easiest and most expensive access point. This was completely foreseeable.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:25 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Obama signed the bill but Congress--the Senate and House of Representatives--wrote the provisions of the laws with heavy lobbying from various insurance and other special interests...
Most people who were even somewhat lucid, knew that the special interest leaders were stuffing that bill with pork. Why did Nancy suggest we had to pass it before we knew what was in it? It was like a Christmas present to the progressives. Obama did not read it, but relied on his moronic advisors to direct him. He did not seem to care either way when the horror stories started to come out. The good in this bill was far overshadowed by all the crap and pork in it.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Obama signed the bill but Congress--the Senate and House of Representatives--
wrote the provisions of the laws with heavy lobbying from various insurance and other special interests...
I think you have it backward

Obama signed the bill but
heavy lobbying from various insurance and other special interests wrote the provisions of the laws
with vague input from Congress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance