Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times

Advertisements

"No prices are set or advertised" This what tees me off. I have no idea what a test cost will be when I walk in the door of a clinic. Is my bill going to be $250 or will it be $2500+... I have asked, no one can ever tell me. I try to get pre-treatment estimates when I can to alleviate this situation. Yes, you HAVE to make sure your provider is in-network. Most important!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
In the end did she have insurance if so that was either the price by contract or not the end price. She certainly should go to a non-critical care center first which many hospitals have .They can easily do stitches and even transfer to their emergency of needed. Its no different than shopping for anything important. I know where locally I want to go for what and who contractors they use are accepted by my insurance even to providers a hospital use from outside when needed. People often seem very careless in healthcare shopping: IMO.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
This is where Emergency Care Centers come in. An ER will charge far, far more. I went to an ECC with a Norovirus;extreme vomiting, diahrea, and dehyrdation. This was 5 years ago. I was there for 4 hours on an IV with antibiotics and then released with script. Total cost? $3,500. I had insurance but knew this would mean an overnight stay to be "watched" in the hospital. We had to pay total out of pocket because it did not meet the deductible. Subject for another thread, but what would have hospital charges been in comparison?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:38 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
This is absurdity beyond total reason. No place should charge 9K for a bandage and a shot. There definitely should be laws against that.

No one should have to "fear the bill" when they go to a hospital in my opinion. It's no wonder the US ranks 37th in healthcare!

The 36 Best Healthcare Systems In The World - Business Insider

edit: Oh hey and how about that? Looks like most of them are single-payer!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Yeah, our system is quite the financial joke - on us. Gouge the patient any way possible - and when done with that, find yet another way to gouge. I've had bills come two years after service - one for a Mickey Mouse $20 oversight the hospital just had to collect.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:33 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I went to the ER once with a cut finger after trying to get the bleeding to stop on my own for a couple hours. They are just down the street from where I live and when I got there they said the copay would be more there than if I went to the urgent care the next town over (same hospital group). Since I was bleeding all over my hand and I was alone and there was nobody else in the ER at the time I just ate the cost. I have no idea if they also charged my ins more or not. They ended up gluing the cut shut instead of using stitches.

Also, our urgent care isn't open 24 hours a day so the ER is going to get the off hours stuff like this even if it's not life threatening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance