Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:27 AM

25 posts, read 72,162 times

Advertisements

I have numbness in my feet and calves that is also causing me some random pain that comes and goes. I won't get insurance for 2 weeks and just submitted the application today. Would this screw me over and will they deny me due to pre existing conditions if I go the the hospital and it turns out major? Its not effective till October!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 AM

I would like to add that it comes at rest when laying down as well!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I have no advice about the insurance end of things, but about the numbness...

It sounds like it could be neuropathy. One common cause of neuropathy is uncontrolled diabetes. If you have other symptoms like frequent urination (having to get up at night to pee, for example), blurry vision, sleepiness after meals, then you should mention them to your doctor when you go. You can probably wait the two weeks for your insurance to become effective, but if you suspect diabetes and want to know sooner, you can buy a meter and strips at Walmart for $25 (ReliOn prime meter is $16, 50 strips are $9) and test yourself...non-diabetic results would be 100 or below when you wake up, and generally not higher than 120 if you test at random times during the day.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Thank you for the answer you are a saint! Will do! If thats the case do you have any suggestions to help control it in the meantime? Btw i am from Dallas and my uncle lives in San Antonio.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I have neuropathy in my legs and the only thing that helps it is prescription meds. I had the neuropathy for about four years before my diabetes was diagnosed (probably because I didn't have insurance, so I didn't go to the doctor very often). Keeping your blood sugar low is supposed to help reverse the neuropathy, but that hasn't happened for me yet. My neuropathy feels like ants walking on my legs, like my feet are burning sometimes, and sometimes like my legs hurt too much to hold me up, or my ankles are locking up or giving out. The meds I take for neuropathy control all of that except the crawling sensations, but I can live with those.

There are other things that can cause leg pain...peripheral artery disease is one, but that pain is usually worse with exercise and goes away after a few minutes of rest. A blood clot or sciatica can also cause leg pain but don't usually affect both legs at the same time.

If you do suspect that you have diabetes and you get a meter to test, you also need a lancing device (the thing that pokes your finger to get the drop of blood), which is about $5. If your BG is high when you test, eating low carb will help start to lower it.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:22 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony0783 View Post
I have numbness in my feet and calves that is also causing me some random pain that comes and goes. I won't get insurance for 2 weeks and just submitted the application today. Would this screw me over and will they deny me due to pre existing conditions if I go the the hospital and it turns out major? Its not effective till October!
I was under the impression that insurance companies were no longer allowed to reject people for pre-existing conditions due to the ACA (Obamacare).

Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 AM

253 posts, read 655,094 times
Pretty much everything Hedgehog_Mom said. It will take a long time for the neuropathy to reverse itself. Took mine about a year, and mine wasn't very bad, just a tingling feeling on one lower knee. The important thing is to bring your blood sugar down. Get a meter and test.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
You also need to have blood sugar tesedt for diabetes.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I was under the impression that insurance companies were no longer allowed to reject people for pre-existing conditions due to the ACA (Obamacare).
That's only if you enroll during open enrollment. If you sign up for insurance now, you are subject to screening/extra costs/no payments for pre-existing conditions.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:31 PM

Kara how do you know that? I believe you I just want to see the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance