Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:29 AM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times

Advertisements

Well, you should not have trouble enrolling in COBRA if you're still within the window. Of course, the premium will not be low. Plus, there are probably copays and deductibles on your old insurance which need to be considered.

So, doing a cost/benefit, 3 months COBRA, plus copays/deductibles - v. no coverage and working out a payment plan with the providers. Either way it will cost you.

Ambulance, ER at one hospital and then a second hospital visit/stay. You're looking at bills totalling many thousands, I expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 11:30 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Sorry about the misunderstanding Marykate 1. I somehow assumed you had not started your new job yet.
Glad your son is OK. It is very risky today to take chances with healthcare like you did. One thing that I can tell you is that for most people, an illness strikes without warning all too often.

One day you think you are perfectly healthy and the next day you find out you have cancer or you have stroke. No one ever thinks these things are going to happen to them or their loved ones. But they do, and they usually come without any warning. (even for vegetarians, with perfect weight who never smoked )

Old 10-31-2014, 12:50 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Once the bill comes, just write a letter or e-mail to the hospital's finance department explaining the situation. Negotiate with them...

Old 10-31-2014, 01:36 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times
See if you qualify for reduced charges under the Hill-Burton Act. If not, pay what you can each month even if it's just 5 dollars a month. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
OP should examine the cost of that COBRA v. what it will actually pay. If she is paying COBRA for family/dependent coverage, premium probably will be in the area of $800/mo., at least. The only reason I use such a low number is OP is in TX. So, that's $2,400 minimum for COBRA, then copays/deductibles, in/out-of-network issues, balance billing.

Example:

Say total costs are $5,000, less deductible of $2,500, leaves balance of $2,500.
Plan pays 80% - best case in-network = $2,000.

You still owe $500 ($2,500 - $2,000)
plus $2,500 deductible
plus COBRA premium of $2,400 -

puts you back to paying more than the full amount - or $5,400.

Assuming you understand your coverage - which many people do not - do the numbers. It might be better to try to negotiate w/hospital. Many hospitals will reduce their charges and stay off your back for very small, regular payments.

Of course, at this point you have no idea what the numbers are for the ambulance and two hospitals.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:23 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
If only we had better healthcare/universal health in USA then I did not have to worry about these situations.
Oh come off it already!

You wouldn't have had to worry about this if you had elected to continue your prior heath insurance via COBRA. You didn't do that. You gambled with your family financial future by not being covered! You had the power and control in your hand yet decided (for whatever reason) that having health insurance was not a priority in your life especially since you appear to have had the resources available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
My son is fine and that is a big relief. I am not low income. It is just that I am in between jobs and my new job health insurance starts in 9 days. I called COBRA today and I am trying to enroll. Today is actually the last day that I can enroll for COBRA and it will cover from SEP, OCT and NOV.

I do own a house and two cars and I live in TEXAS.

Also, I am NOT out of work. I am currently working. As indicated earlier my new health insurance will kick in 9 days.
I am glad your son is fine, but know that your decission to not continue coverege falls solely and only on YOUR shoulders.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Doesn't he qualify for CHIPS since you have no policy available for him now?

Old 11-01-2014, 10:31 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
If the OP lived in Europe he would have no worries or concerns.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:19 PM

925 posts, read 4,709,234 times
Hi Julian658,

Amen to that! Unfortunately, America is a very arrogant nation and they don't want to learn from other countries.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
But in the end Europe pays for it and that coverage is very managed as to qualifying for what. That is why so many pay out of pocket which is also allowed to get healthcare on demand and have provider choice. There really is no free lunch; someone pays and often its thru taxes. America like others has more and more who want a free lunch with someone else paying the tab. Once it gets too expensive; its borrowed; shown as per centage of GDP in debt. That is selfishly passing the tab on to your children; plain and simple. Some call it generational greed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance