Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:29 AM

748 posts, read 1,373,679 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately thats the way it is. I got tired of complaining about it so just work the system as best as I can to my advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 PM

12 posts, read 38,297 times
I know many will swear its not a good idea, but, for a year we had no insurance as we had pre existing conditions and no employer coverage. However, I found that prescriptions that were $300 under my insurance were $20 when ordered as a generic out of the US. i.e., other countries had generics, US did not. I suppose there is risk there, but, when you have several of those prescriptions, the choice is either pay a couple of thousand a month, which we could not do at the time, or, pay a few hundred a month. We chose the latter. Though we were careful.

We actually got better doctor rates when we had no insurance. Some doctors give you a better deal if they are nice and see you have no insurance. Was quite surprised. I am sure that depends on the doctor though. Thankfully, nothing terrible happened during that year as I would not have wanted to test say a hospital using that logic!

My insurance, not employer covered, went up 24% for 2015 in Oklahoma, same plan. At first, I thought it was all just the premium increase. However, it turns out the majority of that increase was I hit a new age bracket.

And here was another trick.... I went to Walgreens for a prescription a month ago. This is for a very old drug that I was paying $14 for. They said they were not making as much any more, so, new cost was going to be $50, and this is under insurance "discount". So, I went to small town pharmacy also in network. They quoted me the same $50, however, they said I could buy it with no insurance for $18. So, I did. This is BCBS, PPO plan. So, I am not so sure the vaunted discounts are always what they seem any more.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:07 PM

251 posts, read 948,692 times
Major change for me. I'm self-employed my insurance company is ending my plan, but they are nice enough to automatically switch me to a "similar" plan that only costs 25% more and changes my deductible from $2500 to $6500

Old 11-25-2014, 06:32 PM

1,204 posts, read 870,799 times
Ours stayed the same, with a $700 deduct and 4500 OOP. Most items are a 90/10 with $20 copay for most Dr. Appt. running $1208/month for the family plan.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,921,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfatula View Post
I know many will swear its not a good idea, but, for a year we had no insurance as we had pre existing conditions and no employer coverage. However, I found that prescriptions that were $300 under my insurance were $20 when ordered as a generic out of the US. i.e., other countries had generics, US did not. I suppose there is risk there, but, when you have several of those prescriptions, the choice is either pay a couple of thousand a month, which we could not do at the time, or, pay a few hundred a month. We chose the latter. Though we were careful.

We actually got better doctor rates when we had no insurance. Some doctors give you a better deal if they are nice and see you have no insurance. Was quite surprised. I am sure that depends on the doctor though. Thankfully, nothing terrible happened during that year as I would not have wanted to test say a hospital using that logic!

My insurance, not employer covered, went up 24% for 2015 in Oklahoma, same plan. At first, I thought it was all just the premium increase. However, it turns out the majority of that increase was I hit a new age bracket.

And here was another trick.... I went to Walgreens for a prescription a month ago. This is for a very old drug that I was paying $14 for. They said they were not making as much any more, so, new cost was going to be $50, and this is under insurance "discount". So, I went to small town pharmacy also in network. They quoted me the same $50, however, they said I could buy it with no insurance for $18. So, I did. This is BCBS, PPO plan. So, I am not so sure the vaunted discounts are always what they seem any more.
I did that as well. When I had no insurance and was waiting for Medicare to kick in, I ordered generic medication for my seizures and other conditions from India and Canada. Instead of paying over $3000/month for my prescriptions, I paid about $600. It was still nearly impossible for me to pay this much, but meds that are unaffordable beats complete bankruptcy all to pieces

Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 AM

805 posts, read 1,866,031 times
My BCBS TX ACA bronze policy monthly premiums are going up 24%.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,073,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
My BCBS TX ACA bronze policy monthly premiums are going up 24%.
Are you getting additional coverage?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:02 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,350,269 times
Mine did not change for the most part. They added a cheaper dental plan, but I didn't bother switching to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance