Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:17 PM

809 posts, read 997,912 times

Advertisements

I live in a state that is working toward a tax-based universal, affordable, accessible and equitable health care system for all, such as exists in all the other First-World countries. It will be provided regardless of pre-existing conditions, have no deductibles, have a standard co-pay for both services and medications, and cover all household members even if they lose their jobs for any reason. One estimate was that it would take a 14% payroll tax to cover all state residents not covered by Medicare, Medicaid or Tri-Care (for which it would be the secondary insurer).

One of the arguments supporting it is that there are quite a few people ready to quit their job and start their own business, but they are held back by the matter of insurance costs for both themselves and their employees.

So, I'm curious as to how many employers or would-be entrepreneurs would pull up their roots and move to a state that offers such insurance coverage for a 14% payroll tax. If you're one of those people, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 03:31 PM

120 posts, read 152,263 times
Absolutely!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:28 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,264 times
Nope, I'm too selfish as we pay quite little for healthcare. Also, we pay a considerable amount in other taxes so an additional 14% would kill us…

Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 PM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
I already own a business but would seriously consider moving to that state if that was offered. It's a matter of time before it does across the country, IMO.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:36 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
There are hundreds of items that must be considered when opening a business; healthcare is just one. No amount of low cost healthcare expense will offset a state with negatives in others areas critical to a businesses success.

I for one would not relocate the company based solely on what healthcare would cost. For one thing, I have a highly compensated workforce where their portion of health care is relatively low in proportion to their salaries. I also have to consider all other taxes for the business as well as the employees. So we get a health plan with lower healthcare expenses, but if other taxes, fees, regulator expenses, business expenses, etc are higher, what did we really save?

Right now the political focus of business problems is being laid at the feet of healthcare cost. Truth is, healthcare is expensive but its not the make or break of a business.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:52 PM

Rabrrita, if you were planning on starting your own business rather than relocating an ongoing one, would you have a different take on it?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:30 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Rabrrita, if you were planning on starting your own business rather than relocating an ongoing one, would you have a different take on it?
Not as a single deciding factor.

Having low cost health insurance is meaningless to starting a business if all the other factors involving that state is negative for the business. Health insurance cost is an expense, but it is not the only expense for a business.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:49 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Not as a single deciding factor.

Having low cost health insurance is meaningless to starting a business if all the other factors involving that state is negative for the business. Health insurance cost is an expense, but it is not the only expense for a business.
You are an astute business person. I am in agreement with you on this issue.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the additional input, Rabrrita.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:57 AM

805 posts, read 1,872,304 times
I also agree with Rabrrita. But cgregor its an interesting concept. I will watch with interest.

I'm a small business owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance