Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 05:13 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Go ahead and find an insurance group that includes only menopausal women and watch your premiums quadruple (at least) as you don't include the pool of younger, on average HEALTHIER, women in your insurance group. You want their money, dropping your rates, but you don't want them to get any benefit service that doesn't directly benefit you.
I've had health insurance for most of my life (paid for it too), haven't had occasion to use it all that much ( thank goodness), and well understand the cost-sharing of medical needs and expenses of the policyholders of varying ages, gender, etc covered under a given policy, and even agree that this cost sharing is probably the most efficient way to maintain health insurance policies. The concept did not originate with Obamacare. And even at my advanced age I imagine my premiums go for the most part to cover medical expenses for those who have more health problems than I do ( even younger people) and I accept that it's this way.

You should know though, if you don't, that at least prior to Obamacare, individual insurance policies for young healthy, nonsmoking women were significantly less than the policies for older people, so it didn't cost you as much for that coverage as it did those older folks you're railing against.

Personally, my response to the post about the same-sex women partners not being happy about having insurance that covered maternity benefits was meant entirely as tongue-in-cheek comment- if they were unhappy about this, imagine how they feel about having to pay into a policy that covers free birth control, which they don't need either.

Last edited by Travelassie; 01-02-2015 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I've had health insurance for most of my life (paid for it too), haven't had occasion to use it all that much ( thank goodness), and well understand the cost-sharing of medical needs and expenses of the policyholders of varying ages, gender, etc covered under a given policy, and even agree that this cost sharing is probably the most efficient way to maintain health insurance policies. The concept did not originate with Obamacare. And even at my advanced age I imagine my premiums go for the most part to cover medical expenses for those who have more health problems than I do ( even younger people) and I accept that it's this way.

You should know though, if you don't, that at least prior to Obamacare, individual insurance policies for young healthy, nonsmoking women were significantly less than the policies for older people, so it didn't cost you as much for that coverage as it did those older folks you're railing against.

Personally, my response to the post about the same-sex women partners not being happy about having insurance that covered maternity benefits was meant entirely as tongue-in-cheek comment- if they were unhappy about this, imagine how they feel about having to pay into a policy that covers free birth control, which they don't need either.
<All About Insurance|Insurance News|Insurers News|Insurance Companies|Insurance Car|Home Insurance|life Insurance|Medical Insurance>

Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 AM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Default 'Unintended' Consequences - lol......

Y'all should find this extremely entertaining reading. Their deductibles are so low as to be laughable in comparison to what most others in their income brackets are experiencing on the exchange and elswhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/us...s-faculty.html

Cry me a river.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-05-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
^^^
THat's the 1%ers of healthcare, that constantly ***** and moan about how hard they have it , yet everyone else would give their right arm for that policy.

Imagine how much they'll ***** under single payer, when they are getting exactly the same insurance everyone else gets and have to pay higher tax amount for it.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Wow, a true lesson in human nature and ugliness. I guess everything is ok as long as it doesn't effect them personally in any way. (no matter how small)

My mother is from Noway, and about ten years ago we had some relatives from there come here and stayed with me for a few days. In a conversation one day out by the pool, I asked her her opinion of the US and the differences she saw in our country and hers. She told me that most people feel that Americans are much more materialistic, and that money is paramount in their thinking. She told me that most people from from Norway and Europe tend to think in terms of what is best for society as opposed to what is best for just themselves. That they have a stronger sense of community than America does. I remember asking her if that was where the term "Ugly American" came from. She laughed but I don"t think commented on that. I remember her commenting on the fact that the American government can be very generous in it's aid when a crises strikes another country, and so can it's citizens, but that is not what she was referencing.

I thought that interesting, but did not fully appreciate nor necessarily agree with what she said. Today, I tend to agree with her.

Last edited by modhatter; 01-05-2015 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 02:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/us...ulty.html?_r=0
Quote:
The university is adopting standard features of most employer-sponsored health plans: Employees will now pay deductibles and a share of the costs, known as coinsurance, for hospitalization, surgery and certain advanced diagnostic tests. The plan has an annual deductible of $250 per individual and $750 for a family. For a doctor’s office visit, the charge is $20. For most other services, patients will pay 10 percent of the cost until they reach the out-of-pocket limit of $1,500 for an individual and $4,500 for a family.
LOL!

If only they were faced with what many of us are faced with in terms of deductibles, premiums and other out of pocket costs. There would be a riot in the faculty lounge at Harvard. This is really funny. Most of us would Love to find a plan like the one they are complaining about.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Y'all should find this extremely entertaining reading. Their deductibles are so low as to be laughable in comparison to what most others in their income brackets are experiencing on the exchange and elswhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/us...s-faculty.html

Cry me a river.
Poor souls. Wonder if they would want to share our costs last year of over $1,100 a month and a deductible of $11,000? I would appreciate it very much.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Yep. Even if you don't have insurance, now you're paying a fee for not having it. Wonder where that goes? Either Obama's constant vacations or other people's medical care.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:41 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Poor souls. Wonder if they would want to share our costs last year of over $1,100 a month and a deductible of $11,000? I would appreciate it very much.
They would faint or go postal.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Haha - schadenfreude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance