Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:34 AM

52 posts, read 155,301 times

Advertisements

Hi--been reading here alot and thought I`d post a ?

We have lived in VA all our lives and I want to move to a more cost friendly state.

Have thought about Texas,Wyoming,Utah,Idaho,South Dakota,Oregon,Washington State.

We are both on dissability and medicare--and our Drs here are good to us and my wife thinks we may not have good care in other states.

Anyone living in these states on medicare--how is your care.

thanks,
mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
I don't know about any of those states, but all doctors don't accept medicare. Something to consider.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
South Dakota is the only state that I can help you with. I'm WAY too young to be on Medicare, but I do have one living Aunt and Uncle yet. Their choices for Drs. don't seem to be very limited at all here. They have both spent quite a bit of time in the hospital and doctor's offices the past year and don't seem to be having any problems with anyone accepting medicare. Of course, they do have a medicare supplement so the care facilities probably turn out ok. My guess is that you probably have that also. My own parents had no problems with Drs. or hospitals accepting them either.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 AM

Thanks Jammie SD is top on our list of states to retire to.

mike

Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
If you are satisfied with your present care, you should really think very hard about moving. It's not always easy to find a physician that will suit you. Medicare is also tightning up on what they will or will not pay for. More and more doctors are dropping out of the plan as it simply doesn't pay enough to cover the office costs of seeing a patient in some instances. There are indications that this will get worse.

If you need a lot of medical care, it could be a real problem for you if you move. The best doctors are usually the ones with the big patient loads and they won't take new patients of any kind. It's risky to try to find a new doctor in a new city.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 AM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
I can tell you I moved to Oregon from Massachusetts, I am not yet of medicare age but in a few years will be. Moving and finding new doctors you are comfortable with especially if you have medical conditons can be a serious difficulty. Combine your comfort level with new doctors and the amount of them that will not take new medicare patients can be a severe burden on a patient. I don't know where in VA you live, but you mentioned Oregon. Oregon is not that cheap a place to live, a very high income tax and housing is catching up to Calif faster and faster. Do your research wisely but until I moved I had no idea changing doctors from one end of the country to the other could be at times a tramatic experience in many ways.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM

823 posts, read 3,689,096 times
One of the things that I suggest is to find an area that a lot of retirees are moving to, that's usually indicative that there are a lot of medical facilities available.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
You can get a general idea of what's available in an area by going to medicare.gov, clicking on 2008 health plans and then use the general search where you can input a zip code for the area you're interested in.
That will give you a good idea of what Medicare Advantage plans are in the area which gives an idea of who takes Medicare.
I don't have a problem with Medicare in Knoxville. There are several free standing health centers that only take Medicare/Medicare Advantage patients. It has also been welcomed in every hospital and other doctor I've seen.
It helps to have a variety of doctors to choose from, so if one doesn't suit you, another one will.
If you need a specific type of doctor for a disability, look at the certifying board/association and see if they have a list of how many there are in the area.
Also look for areas near large universities with teaching hospitals, especially if they have geriatrics programs.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Thanks everyone some good advise I will heed..

mike

Old 01-08-2008, 05:20 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Virginia has one of the lowest U.S. Medicare reimbursement rates to doctors. This is why there are quite a few doctors in Virginia that do no accept Medicare patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance