Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times

Advertisements

If I retire in the future, and I have 401k money I save and maybe collection social security benefit, but I don't have a job, what's my health insurance option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Under 65 - enroll in ACA insurance at either your state exchange or healthcare.gov if your state does not have an exchange.

65 and over - enroll in Medicare Parts A & B. Also, see an insurance broker in your state specializing in Medicare solutions. Medicare is not 100% coverage. You need additional coverage besides just Medicare. So, talk to an insurance professional in your state, as well.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Under 65 - enroll in ACA insurance at either your state exchange or healthcare.gov if your state does not have an exchange.

65 and over - enroll in Medicare Parts A & B. Also, see an insurance broker in your state specializing in Medicare solutions. Medicare is not 100% coverage. You need additional coverage besides just Medicare. So, talk to an insurance professional in your state, as well.
So, if I'm under 65, I won't be able to claim for medicaid if I don't have any income besides the 401k and the social security benefit?

Also, if I enroll in medicare, what's the coverage for that?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:32 PM

So, why didn't you bring up low-income and Medicaid in your first post. The assumption is you can afford to retire unless you tell us otherwise.

Medicaid is for low-income below and over 65 (over 65 Medicare is primary, Medicaid secondary). No idea if you qualify for Medicaid because EACH STATE is different in its requirements. You need to apply for Medicaid through your state. No one here can tell you if you qualify.

What does Medicare cover?? See this:

What Medicare covers | Medicare.gov

Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
So, why didn't you bring up low-income and Medicaid in your first post. The assumption is you can afford to retire unless you tell us otherwise.

Medicaid is for low-income below and over 65 (over 65 Medicare is primary, Medicaid secondary). No idea if you qualify for Medicaid because EACH STATE is different in its requirements. You need to apply for Medicaid through your state. No one here can tell you if you qualify.

What does Medicare cover?? See this:

What Medicare covers | Medicare.gov
Assuming that I am under 65 as of now, and retire, in NYC, with no job and no income besides the 401k that I had save in the past.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
Assuming that I am under 65 as of now, and retire, in NYC, with no job and no income besides the 401k that I had save in the past.
We're back to this:
Quote:
First you apply through the NY ACA exchange.

New York State of Health | The Official Health Plan Marketplace for New York State
'
If your income is too low, the exchange will tell you to apply for Medicaid.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
We're back to this:

First you apply through the NY ACA exchange.

New York State of Health | The Official Health Plan Marketplace for New York State
'
If your income is too low, the exchange will tell you to apply for Medicaid.
Thank you, that's helpful.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:43 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Your 401k income (converted to an annuity) could be $100k a year for all we know. You are telling us nothing and being vague on purpose. My guess is that if you retire before 65 you'll be forced to pay for insurance like everyone else if your employer does not provide it for you as part of a retirement package. Why do you think people jump at jobs with retirement benefits?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You are telling us nothing and being vague on purpose.
Thank you. Beyond annoying to be pulling hen's teeth for basic information.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
It really all depends what income you will be pulling from your 401K. If your total income is somewhere below $16,000 a year, you will probably qualify for Medicaid. If it is more, say $25,000 then you should seek out a Silver Plan on the Exchange as they offer cost sharing and everything will be reduced for you with the Silver Plan. If you make $35,000 and up, your subsidy will be quite small and maybe you should consider a Bronze plan just for major illness. I am assuming you are single. If you are married all numbers could change.

You stated "if I collect social security", so I assuming you are talking about collecting at 62 (something I would strongly advise against, unless absolutely necessary) If you collect social security, than the Federal government will count this as part of your income coupled with what you pull out yearly from your 401K. So if you pull $12,000 from social security at 62, and another $15,000 from your 401K, you will have a combined income of $27,000.

If things are really tight for you, and this is so hard for anyone to give you good advise, as we don't know what your social security amount will be and we don't know how much you have saved in your 401K, and we don't know how expensive the cost of living is where you are living, so we are all grabbing at straws here.

However, if it were me, and things were going to be tight, I might consider renting a room from someone for say $400-$500 a month (it all depends where you live) where most utilities, internet, tv etc. was included, and only draw what is absolutely nec. (say $15,000 a year) from your 401K (depending on it's size) and wait until you reach 66 to draw social security. If $15,000 is too much to take from your 401K, you might consider half that amount and filling in the missing needed income with a part time job say three days a week.

Last edited by modhatter; 02-19-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance