Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:30 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,089,144 times

Advertisements

Part of the controversy and confusion is that Mayo does not accept Medical Advantage plans, at all. They will take participating Supplement plans, but not all Supplement plans are in the Mayo network either. Mayo in MN especially has people from all over the world doctoring there and with the research and contributions to health care they have made over the past 100+ years, why should they take $43 for a procedure when they can get $258 for the same procedure. The Mayo Foundation is also extremely generous. Not only am I a patient at Mayo, I volunteer for research studies there as much as I can so I can give back in my own way.

The long of it is that Mayo is so unique in the medical world that they can really make their own rules. Is it just for the "wealthy" not really, but it is a place for paying patients either cash or via insurance. They also do not accept any HMO plans so thus the non-acceptance of MA plans and other traditional HMO plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,789,229 times
Hmmm, I wonder if Mayo would accept an Advantage PPO plan.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Not likely. The issue with the MA plans is how they pay the provider. They do not allow the extra 15% that the Sup plans do. There are some group MA plans (retiree plans) that do allow the 15% so in that case, it's likely they would take it, but you would have to check on each specific plan.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:30 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,245,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
In FL, it will:
Quote:
Medicare Advantage Plans

Mayo Clinic's Florida campus accepts Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO) and Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) Medicare Advantage Plans (MAPs).

Health Maintenance Organization MAPs are not accepted.

Your Medicare coverage and claims - Florida Patient and Visitor Guide - Mayo Clinic
Mayo's campus websites have extensive lists of plans it will accept. Here is the Arizona page:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/patient-vi...e/health-plans

Old 05-27-2015, 02:43 PM

6,353 posts, read 6,212,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Part of the controversy and confusion is that Mayo does not accept Medical Advantage plans, at all. They will take participating Supplement plans, but not all Supplement plans are in the Mayo network either. Mayo in MN especially has people from all over the world doctoring there and with the research and contributions to health care they have made over the past 100+ years, why should they take $43 for a procedure when they can get $258 for the same procedure. The Mayo Foundation is also extremely generous. Not only am I a patient at Mayo, I volunteer for research studies there as much as I can so I can give back in my own way.

The long of it is that Mayo is so unique in the medical world that they can really make their own rules. Is it just for the "wealthy" not really, but it is a place for paying patients either cash or via insurance. They also do not accept any HMO plans so thus the non-acceptance of MA plans and other traditional HMO plans.
This is not limited to Mayo. Many places will not take the so called "advantage plans." Moreover, these plans are more likely to deny necessary care. I don't recommend them to anyone.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
They will take participating Supplement plans, but not all Supplement plans are in the Mayo network either.a
What are 'participating' Medicare Supplement plans or a 'Mayo network' [for Medicare Supplement plans]?

Medicare Supplement plans are not part of any network. That's why they're so great - they will pay either the patient OR provider - no matter which Medicare provider the patient sees.

Mayo rarely gets payment directly from a Medicare Supplement (and never from Medicare).

The Medicare patient bears FULL personal responsibility for payment of Mayo's fees because, generally, Medicare and the Supplement pay the PATIENT. The patient then pays Mayo.

Directly from the Mayo website:
Quote:
Your Medicare coverage and claims

Medicare (and most supplemental insurers) will make payments directly to you, and you are responsible for paying Mayo.

Patients may be asked to sign an Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN) which informs them that one or more scheduled items or services may not be covered.

The Monthly Statement of Account is your bill. This statement is a listing of the payments and adjustments made on each account since your previous monthly statement.

Mayo Clinic requests payment in full when patients receive the Mayo statement.

Please remember that Medicare payments and reimbursements from most supplemental insurers are sent directly to patients.

Your Medicare coverage and claims - Florida Patient and Visitor Guide - Mayo Clinic

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-27-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 05:14 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
Mayo clinic are suppose to be the best in the US however it seem they only serve the rich. They don't take Medicare as full payment which means that you could be paying thousands of dollars for a check up. So am I missing something?
Mayo Clinic is in my opinion more hype than substance. In the past they may have been the go to place, but they did absolutely nothing in diagnosing my wife's health problems. Lots of unnecessary tests and costs and NO definite results.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Mayo Clinic is in my opinion more hype than substance. In the past they may have been the go to place, but they did absolutely nothing in diagnosing my wife's health problems. Lots of unnecessary tests and costs and NO definite results.
It may depend on the facility. I've read Rochester MN is still the "go-to" place. FL facility is quite new. Which facility did your wife use? Was she finally able to get a diagnosis from another provider?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Who did diagnose her then?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,801,221 times
My mother had two surgeries in AZ. It was first class. Local doctors had screwed up and it was a relief to have competent health care to fix what they messed up. They were on medicare but had excellent BCBS medigap .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance