Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:15 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am going to be retiring in 5 years (relatively young) at the age of 55. I am concerned about the cost of medical care, and have no idea how to obtain a simple quote from the healthinsurance.gov page- it's almost like you have to sign your life away to just look at a sample plan and pricing.
What do most people do during the Medicare "gap" years between the time you leave employment with provided health care and the time when Medicare kicks in? I am in good health, exercise almost daily, and have had no major medical issues. I want a plan that gives me some preventative care with a low copay for an office visit, and also major hospitalization coverage so I don't go into medical bankruptcy if something bad happens...any recommendations or rough dollar figures? I know it can vary from state-to-state. Living in Florida now, hope to retire in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 PM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Hey everyone. I am going to be retiring in 5 years (relatively young) at the age of 55. I am concerned about the cost of medical care, and have no idea how to obtain a simple quote from the healthinsurance.gov page- it's almost like you have to sign your life away to just look at a sample plan and pricing.
What do most people do during the Medicare "gap" years between the time you leave employment with provided health care and the time when Medicare kicks in? I am in good health, exercise almost daily, and have had no major medical issues. I want a plan that gives me some preventative care with a low copay for an office visit, and also major hospitalization coverage so I don't go into medical bankruptcy if something bad happens...any recommendations or rough dollar figures? I know it can vary from state-to-state. Living in Florida now, hope to retire in Arizona.
This should be a good thread. Not sure if it's been discussed before, probably has, but maybe there will be some new viewpoints.

I am sort of the same boat. Retiring next year at age 63. May look into Cobra.
No healthcare carry over from work.
A friend of mine, roughly the same age as me is now working part time and not bringing in a whole lot.
He got coverage from healthinsurance.gov for about $397/month for he and his wife.
Not sure how good it is, but it seems the less you make the cheaper the plan.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
This should be a good thread. Not sure if it's been discussed before, probably has, but maybe there will be some new viewpoints.

I am sort of the same boat. Retiring next year at age 63. May look into Cobra.
No healthcare carry over from work.
A friend of mine, roughly the same age as me is now working part time and not bringing in a whole lot.
He got coverage from healthinsurance.gov for about $397/month for he and his wife.
Not sure how good it is, but it seems the less you make the cheaper the plan.
COBRA through my workplace is insanely priced. If I could pick up a plan like your friend's, that would be well within my price range...depending on the benefits and deductibles, of course...
The less you make, the more subsidies and discounts you are eligible for with Obamacare. I don't think I would be eligible for any based on what my retirement income will be.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:20 PM

951 posts, read 1,451,195 times
The older you are the more expensive is obamacare

so get ready for huge premiums

Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The federal and state sites are buying sites for those looking to buy coverage not a look see site for obvious traffic reasons. You need to search for information sites not buying site. You also can talk to friends that bought or a broker. Just have a good estimate of taxable income or you wouldn't get every accurate as of now information. Five year out much can change.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:34 PM

I hear that, but is there any proof of that? I am looking for people who are actually on it that can vouch for that. Let's be honest, if elliotgb's friend is retirement age but under the Medicare age, the amount of money he is talking about is fairly reasonable for two people to have health insurance each month...

Old 06-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The federal and state sites are buying sites for those looking to buy coverage not a look see site for obvious traffic reasons. You need to search for information sites not buying site. You also can talk to friends that bought or a broker. Just have a good estimate of taxable income or you wouldn't get every accurate as of now information. Five year out much can change.
Thank you, Dave..I was actually unaware of that and have never thought about the broker angle of it. And you're right, five years can make a big difference...I guess I am one of those "plan ahead" guys. I don't want to pull the plug and then have to scramble to find a job to help pay for medical coverage.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:42 PM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I hear that, but is there any proof of that? I am looking for people who are actually on it that can vouch for that. Let's be honest, if elliotgb's friend is retirement age but under the Medicare age, the amount of money he is talking about is fairly reasonable for two people to have health insurance each month...
He just turned 63. Lost an IT job a few years back, collected unemployment until that ran out and has 2 part time jobs. His wife works as well, not sure if it's full or part time, but $370/month is what he pays.

He also started tapping his SS, so he can only earn so much before he has to pay back.

Again, not sure what that covers.
Maybe I'll ask him.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:18 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
doing cobra at 6200 a year for individual with 3k out of pocket

Old 06-02-2015, 01:26 PM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
doing cobra at 6200 a year for individual with 3k out of pocket
$516.00 a month for an individual with a $3000 deductible?? There goes any thought of retiring before Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance