Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:17 AM

920 posts, read 931,431 times

Advertisements

She may need to have hubby work even less than 50% if he can, depending upon his income.

Obamacare can be very cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 03:22 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
I would never ever pay $13,644 per year in premiums. Screw health insurance companies... My suggestion is to look in Obamacare plans for better options.
They make way, WAY too much money to qualify for subsidies and the plans they are looking at are the same or better than a Marketplace plan...

Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Quote:
I would never ever pay $13,644 per year in premiums. Screw health insurance companies... My suggestion is to look in Obamacare plans for better options.
All plans are governed by the ACA.

In my state prior to ACA a self-employed couple paid approx $7500 a year to BCBS directly for coverage with a $1500 deductible.

Now that very same couple has to pay over $18,000 a year for the cheapest plan with close to $7500 deductible. So out of pocket over $25,000 during the calendar year before any insurance pays out a penny.

The fact that they are self-employed is already taken into consideration as they file a Schedule C and their qualifying income is based on adjusted gross income (after business write-offs).

Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Obamacare plans ARE insurance companies.
Hello!!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Also, you are business owners, you get to write off your premiums so you really are not sharing the whole story here....do you offer a group plan to your employees, if not, you would probably save money in the long run, and have access to more PPO's by doing that.....
Our business has close to 600 employees and it's next to impossible to get an insurance company to even converse with us regarding creating a group plan that isn't ridiculously priced.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Maybe it is more financially feasible to have hubby work 50% less so you guys qualify for a subsidy? you can use the online calculator for your state. Just a thought...I mean it would only be for 5 years anyhow until Medicare
That's such a crazy scenario though - why should we be FORCED to make less money - and pay less in taxes by the way - to be able to "afford" to go on the dole, so to speak?

That's so bass ackwards it's not even funny.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
No offense, but do you think we haven't done that?

We don't qualify for any subsidies. We are self employed so we don't have any company kicking in any portion of the premiums.

As for "not paying," it's illegal not to carry health insurance, not to mention risky.

And finally - "screw health insurance companies - look in Obamacare plans for better options???????" Obamacare plans are offered by HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANIES. On the ACA website, Blue Cross Blue Shield is my ONLY option in this area in fact. Maybe Humana offers something, I can't remember about 2016 but in 2015 Humana offered a few very expensive plans.

The plan we have is one of the plans on the ACA website in fact - at the exact same cost.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Cigna had similarly priced HMO's, but they have a national network. If you need coverage out of state, you could just change your PCP and then change it back, just like people on Medicare do when they snowbird.
BCBS offers the ONLY available plans in this area.

As I've explained before, my husband works out of state - in various states - every month. It's not as easy as simply "changing our PCP and then changing it back." He literally doesn't know what state or town he's going to till the day he arrives at the airport and picks up his vehicle. It could be anywhere within a three state area and within a four hour drive.

Quote:
Also, you are business owners, you get to write off your premiums so you really are not sharing the whole story here....do you offer a group plan to your employees, if not, you would probably save money in the long run, and have access to more PPO's by doing that....
In another thread, I addressed this issue specifically and in great detail with you. Yes, we are business owners, but a "tax writeoff" simply means that we don't pay federal taxes on the money we spend on health insurance premiums. In our case that's a savings of about $2700 a year. However, that just comes off our already huge tax bill - we still have to pay that $1137 every single month like clockwork. In the end, we "save" about $200 a month in taxes but it's just in the form of a very slightly lower tax bill in April.

Also, for some weird reason, we don't even qualify for a Medical Savings Plan that's tax deductible. If we get hit with that deductible, like we did in 2014, we just have to pay that full amount with no tax write offs.

We don't have any employees - we are self employed and it's just the two of us.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
She may need to have hubby work even less than 50% if he can, depending upon his income.

Obamacare can be very cheap
So in other words, we can just get poor and get government handouts. That's pretty bleak - and really goes against our work ethic and our personal goals.

We have to save for retirement. If we intentionally make ourselves poor enough to qualify for ACA subsidies, we can't save for retirement.

We don't live lavishly. We're comfortable but we're not rich. We're in that upper middle class that gets no break tax wise or subsidy wise. We're not even old enough to qualify for property tax freezes!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:10 AM

920 posts, read 931,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's such a crazy scenario though - why should we be FORCED to make less money - and pay less in taxes by the way - to be able to "afford" to go on the dole, so to speak?

That's so bass ackwards it's not even funny.
yes aint that the truth

My son signed up for Medcaid 1.5 years ago. He's since got a job with Apple so he's been covered about that time. They sent a notice saying he is enrolled in the states low income health insurance because they checked his income and he qualifies. Yeah, part of the year when he's in college he works 20 hrs, otherwise it's 40 on holidays and stuff. It was a booger to get him off! He's had Kaiser Insurance forever

They want people dependent upon the State for some reason. Poor and dependent upon them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance