Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 01:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,396 times

Advertisements

I don't think I posed this title correctly, but here's the situation:

Suppose...I am paying the full amount on my health insurance with the ACA because I "believed" I would have income over the threshold and therefore do not get a subsidy. It is costing me as an individual $700 a month. I think my income will not reach the amount I have to stay under (I believe it was $60,000 or so for a couple, not exactly sure and that doesn't matter for this question)

Can I go back and amend it somehow and get the refund? If not, then what happens if I do the opposite next year? Take the subsidy because I believe my income will be lower than the threshold and it ends up being more? Where do I declare this? Who do I contact?

In other words, I want to know what does a person do when they don't know what their income will be. We are independent contractors

AND, VERY IMPORTANT...the employer puts ALL money due as income. There's a form for income taxes to separate the true earnings from, let's say, hotel expenses, car expenses, that is really not income but the employer lumps it all in as income. How then do I let the govt know that this wasn't income if I want to get the subsidy but our W4 states otherwise. Send in our tax papers?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 02:17 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Can I go back and amend it somehow and get the refund?

In other words, I want to know what does a person do when they don't know what their income will be.
You apply for the tax credit/subsidy when you file your 1040 for the year. It will either be applied to income tax due or refunded to you via check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
We are independent contractors

AND, VERY IMPORTANT...the employer puts ALL money due as income. There's a form for income taxes to separate the true earnings from, let's say, hotel expenses, car expenses, that is really not income but the employer lumps it all in as income. How then do I let the govt know that this wasn't income if I want to get the subsidy but our W4 states otherwise. Send in our tax papers?
Yes - you apply for the subsidy on your 1040 when you file it, not on the basis of the W-x. Further, it isn't a W-4, W-4 is used for declaring exemptions - and, as an IC, you should NOT be paid on W-2 (salary), either. Chances are your income is being reported to the IRS (and you) on a 1099.

As an independent contractor you should be filing a Schedule C with your 1040. You list on the Schedule C gross income (from the 1099), from which you deduct various expenses.

The 1040 AGI (Modified) on your tax return is the number on which the ACA bases your subsidy.

It's all about your tax return. That's how the government knows and that's how you get a subsidy at the end of the year - in the form of a tax credit/refund.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-29-2015 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2015, 02:44 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Are you paying for the hotels out of your pocket and then getting reimbursed? If so, the employer can't really count that as income. If they are, then you can take the deduction as a self-employed person for business expenses, etc.

At the end of the year, there will be a form on your taxes that will calculate the under/overpayment.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:15 PM

Thank you both. My husband does pay for the hotels, cabs, etc out of his own pocket and yes, the employer does put it down as income. Our accountant then fills out the necessary form(s) to take it off as it isn't income.

I really appreciate your answering this question. It makes total sense. Again, thank you.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
I get my coverage through the Federal Exchange because SC decided not to build one (they couldn't have pulled it off in time). So, last year I applied for coverage from 1/1 to 12/31 of this year. I was asked to provide the expected earnings of each member of our household. By doing so, the system calculated the subsidy I would receive so I could apply it to my monthly premium and keep my premium low through the year.

When my husband died last month our income was reduced greatly. I had to go back into the exchange and revise my application for 2015 to show the expected loss in income. Beginning November 1st, I can change my plan based on the new increased subsidy I'll receive because of the loss in income I experienced. I'll go from a $5,000 deductible plan to a plan with a deductible less than $500 with that increased subsidy. I don't have $500 let alone $5,000 and figure its far easier to request benevolence in the amount of $500 than $5,000.

Never "believe" something until you know all the facts!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:22 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
You have 60 days after the life event to report the change but for premium credits, you can just report that on your taxes at the end of the year. Most people wouldn't want to do that because they would be paying significantly more during the year though and if you would qualify for out of pocket cost subsidies, you would want to report that change ASAP.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:34 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
As a contractor you can already deduct your health insurance costs on the 1040 Form. You can't deduct your costs AND get a tax credit at the same time.
Check with your accountant whether it is worth readjusting the subsidy or just write off the higher premium.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
As a contractor you can already deduct your health insurance costs on the 1040 Form. You can't deduct your costs AND get a tax credit at the same time.
Check with your accountant whether it is worth readjusting the subsidy or just write off the higher premium.

Thank you, I will check with him at the end of the year when I know how much we earned. Makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance