Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:31 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What are you finding in your Part D plans? Any changes? For the worse? Or the better (fat chance)? What do you plan to do?

My plan (AARP) is dropping one of my more expensive drugs from its formulary. And there aren't any other plans that have this drug in their formularies that will save me more than a few dollars over buying the drug and paying for it out of pocket. I will save the most (about $1000/year) if I buy this drug from a reputable on-line pharmacy in Canada. So I am thinking about doing that.
We buy drugs from Canada
No problem.

Most of our co pays are up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 04:54 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
We buy drugs from Canada
No problem.

Most of our co pays are up.
Like I said previously - I will probably be joining you north of the border for the one drug being dropped from my formulary. No reason to shop there for the rest (which are all cheap/low co-pay). Robyn

Old 11-26-2015, 06:24 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,912 times
Default I am now taking Estrace

Quote:
Estradiol is on the AARP/UHC formulary for next year. Not only is it a "Tier 3" drug ($23/month co-pay - no big deal) - but you need prior approval from the insurance company to get a prescription filled. If my doctor and I think a particular drug is appropriate for me - I am not sure why an insurance company should be a "gatekeeper".

BTW - I always mention the cost of all but the cheapest drugs to my doctors Because - even if I can afford the drugs - some people can't. I don't think doctors know nearly enough about the cost of health care. Robyn
I think that is how it is spelled. It is what my Dr. is also taking. I have silverscripts Cvs. Part D. I only pay $4.61 copay forr a 90 day supply. I was also taking premerin. I had no trouble switching --it is working very well. My doctor did have to send a second document to get it approved, but now no problems with refills.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks for your feedback about your experience . Robyn

Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 AM

1,353 posts, read 788,625 times
Default Part D

Quote:
What are you finding in your Part D plans? Any changes? For the worse? Or the better (fat chance)? What do you plan to do?

This was my first experience with Part D.
I use several common inexpensive drugs, which are Tier2 with this Part D.
It appears, that it is cheaper to buy them from the local Sams Club. That is what I am doing now.
I can drop Part D for good, but they have a "catch": for each month you are not using Part D, you will pay a penalty later! Why does Medicare use this catch??
Anyhow, I am keeping Part D out of fear of future fines now...
How do other Medicare users deal with this issue: do some of them drop Part D?

Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
This was my first experience with Part D.
I use several common inexpensive drugs, which are Tier2 with this Part D.
It appears, that it is cheaper to buy them from the local Sams Club. That is what I am doing now.
I can drop Part D for good, but they have a "catch": for each month you are not using Part D, you will pay a penalty later! Why does Medicare use this catch??
Anyhow, I am keeping Part D out of fear of future fines now...
How do other Medicare users deal with this issue: do some of them drop Part D?
We have the cheapest plan from AARP - which costs $27/month. It pretty much saves us $27/month (or more).

What drugs are you taking? We used to find that Costco was cheaper than using our Part D plan on some "common inexpensive" drugs. But now they're cheaper at Target (which is a "preferred pharmacy" under our Part D plan). Pays to check every once in a while (at least annually). Robyn

Old 02-23-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
What drugs are you taking?
E.g. Tamsulosin, Omeprazole. I buy them direct from Sams Club without using Part D.
I have heard some people drop Part D for good, as it does not help!

Old 02-23-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
E.g. Tamsulosin, Omeprazole. I buy them direct from Sams Club without using Part D.
I have heard some people drop Part D for good, as it does not help!
The 2 drugs you mentioned are Tier 2 generics under my (AARP UHC) Part D plan. And - once you meet the deductible - you'd pay a $2 co-pay for a 30 day supply of either at a "preferred" pharmacy (there are many local ones where I live - I use Target). That seems pretty reasonable to me. Robyn

Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 AM

371 posts, read 537,305 times
Quote:
The 2 drugs you mentioned are Tier 2 generics under my (AARP UHC) Part D plan. And - once you meet the deductible - you'd pay a $2 co-pay for a 30 day supply of either at a "preferred" pharmacy (there are many local ones where I live - I use Target). That seems pretty reasonable to me. Robyn
I enrolled in an AARP/UHC Medicare Advantage plan for 2016 that includes Part D coverage. I take Estrace cream (estradiol) for the same reasons you mentioned back in November, and looking at the 2016 formulary for UHC, it looks like both Premarin and Estrace are Tier 3 drugs. Is this a regional change, that UHC will not cover Premarin for you but is covered here in Vermont?

Estrace/Premarin are not just drugs to make intercourse more tolerable. In my case, I was getting UTI's every few weeks. The dry vaginal tissue provides a conduit for bacteria to migrate from your rectum to your bladder. I have not had another UTI in over a year (knock on wood) so there is definitely a medical reason for prescribing these drugs.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, that sounds good.
What is your deductible, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance