Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 08:42 AM

19 posts, read 19,199 times

Advertisements

My wife, a long-time type 1 diabetic, is about to start dialysis due to kidney failure brought on by her diabetes. She is 50 years old. Medicare will cover dialysis and a kidney transplant even if you are under 65. She is currently covered under my employer insurance. I am having trouble figuring out if we'll be better off financially with the Medicare coverage or whether we should stick my our employer insurance. Has anybody dealt with this issue? (I'm going to post this in the diabetes forum as well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 05:53 AM

484 posts, read 561,055 times
Mr. Rossi:

First of all, your wife is getting Medicare, you aren't.

Even if you decide to stop her coverage from your employer, you'll need to keep your employer related coverage to pay for your own medical costs. And you need to keep in mind that while Medicare is a huge help financially, it is not free -- your wife will have some significant out of pocket expenses associated with Medicare. For some things, you might find that the insurance picks up some or all of what otherwise would be out of pocket expenses.

If there is a social worker at your wife's clinic or doctor's office who can advise you both on the financial costs you should anticipate with her kidney and diabetes care, make an appointment to go get some advice about this decision. I'd also suggest asking for an appointment with the HR staff at work, to find out how the costs for your wife's care will be coordianated between your insurance coverage and Medicare. If there is a support group at your wife's nephritis center for spouses/family members, it would be a good idea to talk to them as well, for "things I wish they had told me about the cost of this/how to pay for this" as they have all had to face this decision, and may have additional tips to give you that the SW and the HR person either can't discuss or don't know about.

Hope that's helpful.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:05 AM

19 posts, read 19,199 times
I know I'm not getting Medicare, and I wouldn't take my wife off my employer insurance (although I can see how you would think that from my poorly worded post). I'm just not sure if it makes sense financially, at this time, to pay for Medicare premiums when we are close to meeting our our of pocket maximum for this fiscal year.

I appreciate the advice about seeking out info from those who have been through this.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:55 PM

484 posts, read 561,055 times
One point I'm not certain about, (but I'm sure someone else knows), is a question about possible penalties if your wife does not enroll in Medicare Part B at this point. I'm hoping Querty or one of the others more versed in some of the details about Medicare will chime in here.

Someone who is covered by employer provided health insurance that is "creditable" with Medicare Part B has the option to delay signing up for Part B while they are still covered by the employer-provided plan, without incurring penalties for the delay. A person who isn't covered by employer-provided coverage, who delays signing up for Part B will be penalized by a 10% higher premium for every 12 months that they delay signing up. Even if they have health insurance that they have purchased themselves, and/or Medicaid.

What I"m not certain about, and what I'd welcome hearing about, is whether someone who is a dependent of a worker with employer-provided coverage, like your wife, will also be spared the increased premium costs if she delays signing up for Part B. Can anyone else speak to this point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance